“A true gem”
Review of Colington Cafe

Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
New York
“A true gem”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Have rarely given a restaurant a 5 but in this case they truly earned it. This was a rare combination of real value and wonderful food. The wine list was so reasonable my husband asked if it was by the glass or bottle. Service was impeccable. We had dessert because of the previous courses and it did not disappoint.

1 Thank NYWanderer

New Jersey
“Romantic Dinner”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I had a romantic dinner at the Colington Cafe last night and really enjoyed it. This was our second time there. We shared the crab dip and Cesar salad for appetizers and both were very good. My husband had the filet mignon and crab cake dinner. The filet was very tender and tasty. I had a seared tuna special, which was also very good.

We like this restaurant because the food is good and the atmosphere is romantic. This is the dinner out where we don't bring our kids. Plus, it's reasonably priced and the service is friendly. If you want a romantic dinner out in OBX, this is place.

Falls Church, Virginia
“Top-notch food in quaint setting”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I were at the OBX after cancelling a trip for our 5-year anniversary last Oct/Nov due to Hurricane Sandy's arrival...so we decided to have the dinner we would have had then if we had been ....and we are so glad we followed the reviews and recommendations and selected Colington Cafe...despite being rear-ended by a local (possibly unlicensed!) in a pick-up while we were stopped to turn into the restaurant, the meal was wonderful. It is an older house and loaded with quirky and whimsical decorations and wall art...very cozy. We love surf-n-turf meals and they had several selections. I started with the she crab bisque which as plentiful, creamy, appropriately tinged with sherry and studded with nice crab - larger portion than expected, too...my husband had Caesar salad which he said was very good but nothing exceptional (and nothing to complain about either). For our entrees, we both decided to get Le Grand Trio and so happy we cjose it. The filet mignon was tender and juicy (slightly less cooked than the medium we requested BUT that was good as I think the tenderness was enhanced due to that), the jumbo shrimp & lump crab-cake (no discernible filler!) were lovely and just the right touch of Bearnaise sauce for me though my husband requested a little extra which the server brought immediately with a smile..mashed potatoes and grilled veggie were good (grilled veggies particularly delicious) .I had a glass of riesling (nice, crisp and not too sweet). For dessert we got toll-house sundae (me) and peach cobbler (hubby) and we shared bites; both were large and well-made & flavorful...We brought half our steaks back to the hotel (larger portion than expected!!) We can't wait to get back there for another celebratory meal (and I will find any reason to celebrate if we happen to be there when there is no 'official' event; LOL). Highly recommend....

Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Lovely date”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I went here for our 10th Anniversary dinner. The atmosphere was nice and the dinner was great. I was sad I hadn't left room for dessert because they had a large selection that looked delicious! The service was also great. I would suggest making reservations. I will go back again for sure!

Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent find at the beach!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Seven of my girlfriends and I recently enjoyed a week at the beach. The weather was cold, windy, and rainy, but one of the highlights of our stay was dinner at the Colington Cafe. The service was great despite the fact they were short-staffed. We all ordered different meals and each one got rave reviews. My fish of the day was prepared to perfection as were the other meals. The crab bisque was perfect, and only one of us had room for dessert, but thumbs up went to the coconut pie. This was a great find at the beach where too many of the restaurants are only mediocre. Will definitely go back on our next trip.

1 Thank Kathy S