“Another excellent dinner”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My wife and I had the same entree, the filet with crab which was a generous portion and cooked very well. I chose a $15 Santa Rita Cabernet which was not only a great bargin but a very nice soft wine that went nicely with the food. The creme brulee was excellent. We will return. Highly recommended.

1  Thank endjed
Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We just finished a meal at Colington Cafe and it was an experience unlike no other, the food was amazing and the service was as if we were in a local family home. My husband and I enjoyed fresh seafood and fine wine as we observed the wait staff taking time out of their busy night to converse with a table of regulars. It was so refreshing to see a small town atmosphere with uptown cuisine we will defiantly be back.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Colington Cafe is located in a converted Victorian house on Colington Road in Kill Devil Hills (the road out to Colington Island). They only have a beer & wine license, so you won't find cocktails here. But they have one of the least expensive wine lists I've ever seen (with some really nice bottles at very reasonable prices).

We were seated upstairs in a little room with only three tables. This turned out to be a very nice experience, since we had the pleasure of talking with a couple at one of the other tables. It was almost like having dinner in someone's home!

The food is very good. I had a scallop appetizer and my husband had she crab bisque -- his soup was creamy, with a hint of sherry; my scallops were wrapped in bacon and served with a teriyaki glaze. Both were delicious.

Both of us ordered the filet mignon for our entrees, his with crab cake and mine with crab meat. Both were served with garlic mashed potatoes (not my favorite, but my husband loved them!). There was also a chilled and marinated vegetable medley (this was the least successful element on the plate -- the chilled veggies didn't seem to work too well with the steaks). Aside from that, our dinners were excellent. Perfectly cooked stakes and fabulous crab. We skipped dessert, but enjoyed espresso and cappuccino to round our our meals.

Colington Cafe is a really nice place to have a really nice and relaxing dinner. They take reservations, so that's a plus! It's probably the least expensive "fine dining" experience you can find in the OBX.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

If you get to the Nags Head, NC area, you must try Colington Cafe. The food is excellent and the she crab bisque is awesome. Seafood is a specialty but chicken, beef, and pasta dishes are available as well. Prices are reasonable compared with other seafood restaurants in the area. Call ahead for reservations--Colington is very popular. They begin taking reservations 3 days in advance starting on Tuesdays after 3 p.m. It is best to call early especially if you want to eat at a particular time. If you wait to call, you may have a choice of a 5:00 seating or a 9:30 seating if anything is available. If those times are OK with you, then you can probably call a day before or the day of. Wine and beer are available but no mixed drinks (at least not the last time I was there). The restaurant is a converted house and has been charmingly redone. It is located on Colington Rd (off the bypass road) right around a fairly sharp curve, so be sure to drive the speed limit or you might miss the entrance. Happy eating.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

On vacation, my husband and I always are looking for new and interesting places to have a pleasant dining experience. Because this cafe was so highly rated here by various patrons, we decided to give it a try. Our server was extremely nervous and seemed to be preoccupied. Our dinners were brought out and served to the table across and behind us where the female guest at that table seemed to be suffering with a cold as I did observe her blowing her nose at the table serveral times. As they talked over our food to explain to the server that it was not their order, he apologized and quickly picked up the plates and brought them to us. Because I did not want to ruin our evening I merely said to him, "You're trying to give our food away". He laughed and I really don't think he understood the impact of what he had done. We purchased a bottle of wine which he served to us chilled because it was white without a towel and kept dripping it over the table and our plates. I really can't remember what we ate that night due to the distraction of the poor service. We sincerely hope that an improvement will be made in the training of the serving staff.

1  Thank dawn52908