“Slow service, ok food”
Review of The Colington Cafe

The Colington Cafe
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Nestled off the beaten path in a Victorian house surrounded by 400 year-old oak trees, we are a local's favorite. Our seafood is brought in fresh daily, and we use locally grown ingredients.All the locals love our filet dishes as well as our large menu.All desserts are homemade. We are a family run restaurant with most of our staff having been with us for over 15 years.We do everything to make sure all of our customers leave happy.
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Ok, first off, the service was really slow. The staff could not have been nicer, but they often weren't there, they would come by and say things were backed up, and things might take a bit longer, they even offered us a complimentary appetizer. Still we waited nearly 30 minutes for our order to be taken and another 15-20 for our wine. I was happy to at least be told things were on their way.

The food was fine. None of us had any complaints about the quality of the food. The She Crab soup was full of crab, but was more like Lobster Bisque than thhe other she crab soups available locally. I thout the Caesar Salad was just average. My sister really like her coconuts shrimp, I thought my mixed grill was fine, the steak was very nice. I really liked the cobbler.

Wine list was surprisingly reasonable.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed May 13, 2011

The atmosphere, the food, the presentation - all wonderful. The service was attentive and very courteous. It was expensive, so it is perhaps more a place to celebrate something - and we were.

Although content with the meal (shrimp scampi, she crab bisque) the dessert tray proved too tempting - so the toll house pie was the ending to a delicious meal.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

The Collington Cafe provided a wonderfully prepared meal consisting of great fish (tuna), and an interesting veggie assortment. Wait staff (Cindy) was professional, friendly, polite and well versed with the menu. The cottage is a darling 'home' nestled in a tranquil setting with attention to detail evident both inside and out. I definitely recommend this fine place and I will return on future OBX trips to this area.

1  Thank MGordonCharlotte_NC
Reviewed December 30, 2010

An abolsute must visit, the location, menu and value are top notch. We had pretty high expectations based on the reviews we found. Needless to say the experience surpassed these expectations.The staff was friendly and courteous, which fit in the atmopshere of the place, which was cozy and comfortable. We were seated next to a fireplace (much appreciated, as we had been walking in the freezing cold). My husand and I both got some drinks and I ordered the scallop and shrimp napolean. My husband ordered the pork au sherry. Both dishes were awesome and were a good portion size!! My husband said that it was some of the best pork he had ever had. We finished the meal with a slice of cocunut cream custard pie, which was also great. The desert tray looked so enticing that I want to come back and sample all of them!

We had been to a few other restuarants on the Outer Banks during our stay, but this was the best, particulary for the money! Our bill was around $55, which included two drinks, two entrees and dessert. We spent more than that at Basnight's Lone Cedar for just mediocre food that we could have cooked ourselves. If you want a unique experience on the Outer Banks, I would suggest giving Colington;s Cafe a try! I don't think you will be dissapointed!

Reviewed December 29, 2010

I have lived in OBX for 3 years and this restaurant is by far the best on the Beach. The food is amazing with perfect portions, the staff goes above and beyond in service and friendliness, and the price is extremely reasonable. We choose this restaurant for every special occasion, as well as just for a night out. If you aren't into traditional decor, look past their traditional style and enjoy the home atmosphere. The food and service is well worth it! My husband and I recommend this restaurant to all visitors and locals! Call ahead!