“Great place for kids”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
klhope3
“Great place for kids”
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Fourteen of us went to Goombay's in July, 2008. Great service, great food, terrific ambience and lots of fun for the kids. Check out the ceiling and how it makes you feel as though you are dining underwater. Kids get fun alligator and shark straws with their drinks. I LOVED the parmesan scallops. Menu could use a few more non-fish items like steaks or chicken, but otherwise fabulous. Definitely going back in 09.

Maryland
“Something a little different...a good thing”
Reviewed October 29, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a place to eat on our last night in the Outer Banks and decided to try Goombays. It was a pleasant surprise. The food that we ordered was prepared as requested, came out quickly and hot. Everything was fresh and delicious. I really enjoyed their Hatteras Style Clam Chowder which had a bit of a bite to it, which made it the best that I had during my trip. The staff was friendly and efficient. We'll definitely go back the next time we're in town.

brooklyn, ny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“really? people like this place?”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

My bf and I stopped here on our way out of the outer banks. Our meal was really disappointing. The coconut shrimp weren't bad but my dish (some carribean flavor fish dish with rum and bananas), was not bad for the first few bites but was just way too sweet to enjoy a whole serving of. The fish and chips were also mediocre. We had so many amazing meals on our roadtrip that this was a let down.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The kingston seafood dish was not bad, but it needed less sweet and more heat.”
Reviewed September 17, 2008

The kingston seafood dish was not bad, but it needed less sweet and more heat.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Newport News, VA
“Best meal of the trip!”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We were headed up the beach road to a place we had seen a brochure for, when we spotted Goombay's off the port bow of the car. The place looked funky and the parking lot was packed to the gills so we decided to give it a try for lunch.

The interior was neat with the ceiling designed to give you the feeling of being underwater, but we were really here for the food.

The menu had a number of seafood specialties on it and they also had a list of a few specials for the day. I ordered the Tuna Rueben (I love Rubens and Tuna, so it sounded like a good combo), my fiance ordered one of the specials a Cobia dish.

My sandwich really hit the spot, it was just what I was looking for, and a nice twist on one of my favorite sandwiches. The Cobia though was a real knock-your-socks-off meal. My fiance was blown away by the taste combinations they had in this dish, and it was only $10! The fish was covered with an interesting salsa which included mangoes and coconut milk with rice and some very good spices.

Both meals were good sized and reasonably priced. We will put this on our list of places for the next time we come to the OBX.