“Quality food in outer banks”

Goombays Grille & Raw Bar
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
“Quality food in outer banks”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Goombays is a family favorite when traveling to the outer banks. Very kid friendly with specialty kids drinks. I have not had a bad meal at Goombays. Would recommend steamers, fish tacos or pecan crusted grouper. These are some of are favorites. Excellent craft beer selection also. Service is always good.

Visited August 2014

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Get the Tee-shirts”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I stop at Goombays EVERY time I go to the OB. One reason is their tee-shirts. I love them and think they are the best on the beach. Always buy 2 or 3.

They have a very varied menu and their nightly specials are fabulous. I must admit I always get the spicy steamed shrimp and a basket of fries. Several beers don't hurt either.
This trip I made the mistake of sitting at the bar since it was practically empty. Big mistake. Within half an hour it was packed with beach goers just coming off the beach. It would have been fine if I hadn't been with a date. Bar staff quickly forgot about us and migrated to the regulars. Steamed shrimp were still large and tasty and the fries just spicy enough. Beer was cold, but the Bloody Marys were laughable. Bartender needs a lesson from the Jolly Roger.
Finally had to practically beg for our check so we could leave. And they don't accept American Express.

Norfolk, Virginia
“Half good, Half bad, with a pinch of Shady”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Half of my family enjoyed their meal. The other half did not. The good: Steam Seafood Combo was very good. Coconut Shrimp was good, but Outback has "good" Coconut Shrimp. For the non fish eaters, try the Spare Ribs, which were tasty. The not so good: Fish and Chips - you get 4 pieces that are the size of a McNuggets for $13. Requested extra crispy and was served soft and very bland. Used ketchup for added flavor. Been on the hunt for the best Fish and Chips in Outer banks. Didn't find it at Goombays. Kid's Grill Cheese was too well done-almost burnt. With a starving kid, we ended up scrapping the burnt part off. The Shady: Had a 10% coupon that was not taken off the bill. Unfortunately, we forgot as well until a hour after we left. Bummer. However, the part that that makes me cautious of Goombays.... On the bottom of the bill, they have a section for "how much to tip". Our bill came to $99 (after taxes and without a coupon). For the recommended 20% they suggested $22 and change. Last time I checked 20% of $100 is $20. Obviously, you don't have to tip what they suggest, but I wonder how many people use the suggested tip. With so many other restaurants in the area, I doubt we will ever go back.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank BobTheFoodEater
Spotsylvania, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A meal to remember”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I went to this restaurant for lunch because of an article in a visitor guide at our hotel. I had the tuna tacos as recommended in the guide and my husband had the NC barbecue. Both were utterly amazing. Also if you are a Mojito lover you will not be disappointed. The lemon blueberry cheesecake for dessert was delicious. I would return to the OBX just to go back to this restaurant!!

Visited July 2014
Foxboro, Massachusetts
“Fun atmosphere, great food & great service”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Loved the coconut shrimp, spicy wings, firecracker shrimp, wedge salad!! The Goombay Tuna was great too! My daughter loved the Shirley temple - it came with a plastic shark which contained the juices that she was able to pour in her soda water! Fun & delicious! & don't forget a homemade desert! Turtle cake, banana split cake, peanut butter pie! Yum!