“A good find!”

Goombays Grille & Raw Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Yardley
“A good find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

What a fun place! The decor is fun - kids loved it - and the food was very good. We had the parmesan scallops, steamed crab legs, Seafood Kingston, and crab cakes - YUM! Will definitely go back the next time we're in OBX! Our only "complaint" was the server was not overly friendly and not very good about filling our water glasses.

Visited August 2012

Raleigh,NC
“Loved it, loved it, loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I let my 8 year old daughter read through one of the local OBX coupon books to pick out a place for us to eat. Of course she picked Goombay's because of the festive colors in the ad. It was a few miles up the beach road from where we were staying so I figured it was worth a shot. It was so wonderful we went two nights in a row!! We used the 10% off coupon if you arrive before 6pm. The first night we arrived at 5:30 and we were the third table filled. But at 6pm BAM carloads of people showed up. 6pm must be the magic dinner time in Kill Devil Hills. Our waitress the first night was Sam. She was great. The second night we had Brad and he was very knowledgeable about the menu. This is a very child friendly restaurant. From the decor to the kids menu to the kids nonalcoholic beverage list it was a hit. The first night I got the Goombay's sampler with coconut shrimp, parmasan scallops and crab balls. Excellent. The crab balls had jalapeno peppers in them but they were pickled so they didn't burn my mouth up. The second night I got the pound of spicy steamed shrimp for $17.99. Amazing. No potatoes or corn to fill up the plate, just shrimp, 36 of them to be exact. The spice blend they do them in is not you typical Old Bay. It had some kick. August 30th was the first night they had local oysters on the menu and people around us were raving. Definitely try this place out! The ladies bathroom was a little rough but we will overlook that as it is the end of the busy season and I am sure they will repaint and repair things.

• Visited August 2012
“Not your typical OBX stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wife and I stopped in for a quick lunch, thinking we were up for the typical Outer banks beach side haunts (average). The decor on the inside was very fun, especially for kids. The happy hour specials were excellent. The food was very very good. We were very surprised that this unassuming little restaurant could beat many of the larger, well-advertised, over priced restaurants on the island. We picked it because as we drove by all the other places for a late lunch, they all looked abandoned, but this place was still a bit packed. I would definitely go back.

Richmond, Virginia
“Ed's Birthday Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Took my husband here on 8/27 for his birthday. Great choice!

Sam, our server, was awesome. Quick service with a genuine smile.

The crab dip appetizer was served up hot and delicious. The pita points were melt-in-your mouth good.

I had the tuna tacos. Absolutely done to perfection. Large portion of tuna with black beans, diced tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, rice (yummy) and tortillas. My husband ordered the steamed platter with Alaskan crab legs, clams and shrimp. The homemade cocktail sauce was out of this world.

I've seen a few complaints about prices. If folks want cheap, they should go to a fast food drive-thru. Prices were VERY reasonable. We had the appetizer, 2 soft drinks, a nice glass of wine, and both entrees for ~$63.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really fun atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We went to this place on a recommendation from someone we met at the beach. It was a fun place to go and the inside of the restaurant is a hoot. The ceiling is decorated to make you feel like you are under the water. Very clever. The food was average in our opinion. We had the tuna tacos and the shrimp quesadillas. The tuna was pretty delicious, but the beans and extras were just ok. The quesadillas were really good, but too greasy for my boyfriend. :)