“Don't miss this restaurant at the OBX”
Review of Flying Fish Cafe - CLOSED

Flying Fish Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located at Milepost 9.75 in Kill Devil Hills on Route 158 (Bypass)
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't miss this restaurant at the OBX”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I ate at the Flying Fish tonight for our 35th anniversary. Reviews on Trip Advisor where great, but when we arrived, from the outside, I was a little skeptical. Once in the door, we were warmly greeted and seated at a quiet, dimly lit booth. The menu was explained by our server and he also made recommendations. It is obvious that everything was freshly made and prepared as we ordered. Salad-Caesar and House, perfect with unusual dressings. My steak, although I'm a well done girl, was cooked perfect and oh so tender. It was accompanied with garlic mashed potatoes and outstanding grilled asparagus. My husband had the shrimp and grits which he equally raved over. We usually do not order dessert, and were so full from the large servings, I'm not sure how we found room for it, but we did get the Chocolate Hurricane. Scrumptious! Don't let the outside of this place fool you like it almost did us! Add this to your must eats!

• Visited March 2013

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Wish we had dined here first!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

What a wonderful meal on our last day on the outer banks. Great wine selections by the glass. We prepared our palates with a refreshing dry prosecco. Starter was toast points with a crab dip. My husband loved it but a tad too much mayo for me. Warm bread was nice with peppered olive oil.

Our waiter suggested a lovely dry Italian white (I'm a cabernet gal and was glad I listened to the suggestion!) Husband had cobia and I had grouper, both with rice, both perfectly cooked. The cobia was served "Mediterranean": grilled and topped with a mix of olives, feta, capers and artichoke. My grouper was fried crisp with a meltingly delicious fish inside. Wasn't real wild about the raspberry sauce squirted decoratively on the plate - a little went a long way. Perfect carrots and beans. Really, everything on both plates was superb. Desserts were huge and over-the-top. Husband had a rum cake and I had an apple dessert which was basically puff pastry with thin-sliced apples and caramel sauce with cream. We left at least half of both of them.

This was by far the most expensive place we ate in the 7 days we were here but also the best prepared food - super fresh and delicious.

• Visited February 2013
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
“An Oasis in a Jungle of Tourism”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had spent several years vacationing in the Outer Banks, driving by Flying Fish Cafe. Every time we went by I said, "I want to try that place!" My wife, the non-pescetarian, would just turn up her nose.

Finally one day I insisted. I told her that they were sure to have something other than seafood, and she admitted she'd never been to a seafood restaurant that didn't have at least something on the menu that she could - or would - eat.

Stepping up to the restaurant, it doesn't look like a whole lot. It's a nicer place than a lot of other joints in the OBX, but it's still not anything fancy. As soon as you walk in the door, though, you're greeted by a quiet atmosphere, dim lights and a pleasing setting. Much of the decor is wine-related, including some great birdhouses made from old wine bottle crates.

The menu was overflowing with great seafood dishes, and several non-seafood items. The specials, which I can't remember right now, were just as appealing. We ordered a round of drinks (they have a full-service bar, with a pretty good martini menu) and our server (who actually turned out to be the one making bread as well) brought us bread and oil.

To say the bread was some of the best I've ever had would not be exaggerating. We both obliterated what they had brought to us and our server brought us another round.

The drinks came, and they were as good as the bread. Looking at the fairly comprehensive wine menu we ordered a bottle for the two of us, as well as our entrees. I had the locally-caught black grouper. She had a filet mignon.

Our food arrived and we tucked in. There wasn't much conversation because the food was so good we didn't want to let it get cold. Her steak was one of the most perfectly cooked steaks I've ever tasted, and my grouper was incredible. Sometimes grouper is overcooked and tough/rubbery. Not this time. It was perfection.

We're not the type to normally order dessert, but we couldn't resist the Chocolate Hurricane, and when they told me they had Key Lime tart I ponied up.

Both desserts were the perfect cap for one of our best OBX experiences ever. Sinful just doesn't seem to carry the weight necessary to describe it.

In summation, if you're looking for a respite from the noise of some of the other restaurants in the Outer Banks, you can't go wrong with Flying Fish.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Phinzup
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good food, wine list & ambiance at the coast”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Flying Fish Cafe' was a great choice for a nice, quiet dinner after a busy day of touring the OBX. We had enjoyed local hangouts, a microbrew tavern, seen 4 lighthouses... we were ready for a good meal to end a great winter Saturday. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was carefully prepared and had a nice presentation. We both ordered the catch of the day, Tuna, and loved every bite of it. The wine list was the best we had found on the island (again off season). The patrons seem to be mostly vacation property owners in for the weekend, and several were greeted warmly as regulars. Always a good sign for consistency of food quality & service. no hesitation recomending this, if you're ready for somthing a bit upscale for KDH.

• Visited January 2013
Edenton, North Carolina
“Bangin' food. Great service. Couldn't ask for more!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Oh. My. God. New Years dinner was spectacular. Not a single complaint. Half lobster stuffed with crab was amazing. Hubs had a filet and added a side of oysters. I think I'm Ina food coma.

1 Thank SandSunSurf85