“Slow service but good food”

The Pit - Boardriders Grill
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Cozy, surf-themed log cabin in the center of Kill Devil Hills with a progressive menu featuring oversized, Cali-style burrito-wraps (including inventive vegetarian options), 1/3lb Angus burgers, gourmet personal pizzas, quesadillas, hot sandwiches, monster salads, and much more! Serving this robust menu all day, from 11:30am to 9pm.After 9, regional and international DJs spin in the ground-floor nightclub area. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are Teen Nights, all other nights are 21 and up only, unless otherwise advertised. Live bands play our stage on occasion!
Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you are in no rush this place is for you. The food was great awesome burritos and salsa was amazing. Wings hot and spicey but it took about an hour for our meals. We sat upstairs in I want to say the original building. Reminded our group of our college years. The kids were getting a little restless. Overall it was good again just very slow service.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Some of my family (my husband, my two brothers, and girlfriend) were looking for a place that did Taco Tuesdays so we google searched Taco Tuesday OBX and this place came up. After further looking we discovered that they were only a minute away so we decided to try it out.

The restaurant is down to earth, laid back, and quaint...aka--small. We went around 1:00 and it was still pretty crowded. It was seat yourself which can be a blessing and a curse, but for a busy day like taco tuesday, it was no bueno. We crammed around a small table outside. The waitress took our drink and food order. ...and then we waited...and waited and waited and waited. We saw several groups larger than ours receive their orders.
We finally got our food (tacos--who thought it would take 35 minutes from the time we ordered to get them--especially when others around us were getting their food quicker). The waitress seemed grumpy, stressed, and rude. The food was delicious (I had the soft chicken tacos with gauc.) We never were offered drink refills until we were ready to leave. The waitress did apologize for "being such a b****". She said that she was hungry, grumpy, tired, and was overwhelmed by day.

So Pros:
The restaurant is cool..beach decor, "hole in the wall" sort of atmosphere
The food was really good!

Cons:
Not very spacious, especially for a larger group
Slow service (at least we experienced that)
Rude waitress

Would I eat there again? Maybe if it was just my husband and I.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I wrote a review years ago for the Pit raving about their tacos and salsa. What I wanted to write about now is how I have been unable to eat there the last 10 times I went! As a local, I know that on "Taco Tuesday" you are going to have to wait for a table, so we try going at off peak times. Even so, we have not been able to get a table in a reasonable amount of time, so we always end up leaving and going somewhere else. We have since given up trying to go on Tuesdays, but now are trying to go on a different day to enjoy food off of their regular menu. Now when we walk in, we are told, quite rudely I might add, the kitchen is closed. (At 8:30 on a summer night) I'm so sad how this place has gone from one of our favorites to a place I'll never go again.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Small place but great atmosphere. Went for taco tuesday and the tacos were great! Bartender was cool.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Delicious sandwiches, fries, and dessert.

It's hard to mess up a grilled cheese with bacon, but this went above and beyond and we SUPER TASTY! The seasoned fries were perfectly crisp on the outside yet soft on the inside.

And the dessert was phe-NOM-NOM-NOM-enal!!! Chocolate peanut butter awesomeness.