“Good Food and Laid Back”

Chilli Peppers Coastal Grill
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Chilli Pepper's is a great casual-style restaurant with Latin inspired food and excellent margaritas. My boyfriend and I shared several appetizers and a single entree because we wanted to try so many things. We both had margaritas, I had pomegranate and he first tried watermelon (which proved to be very syrupy sweet and nigh undrinkable even for me, and I can drink the sweetest of sweet teas) and then had the waitress exchange after a few sips for a pomegranate. The appetizers were very delicious, and I highly recommend the fish bites as a light snack before the meal. The main course was fairly delicious, but it didn't seem to be anything particularly Latin-inspired except for the rice (cheesy and with mixed veggies, had a great flavor profile). The service wasn't great, our waitress seemed to have a lot of tables, including one very large group, and she didn't remember to bring things that we'd asked for until after being reminded. I did note that two ladies who appeared to be managers or owners were very active in helping their servers and checking on guests, so that was a definite plus and did help alleviate some of the issues. It is a little pricey for how laid back and casual the experience is, but everything was tasty. The margaritas are definitely worth it, very delicious!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Service at this family-owned and operated restaurant is warm and friendly. We were seated by the owner's son and visited by the owner at the end of the meal; he explained the artwork on the walls and offered us home made beef jerky. The food was creative, with a spicy flare. Instead of ordinary onion soup, the restaurant offered a spicy chipotle soup ("with a kick," I think the menu said) made with onions and cabbage. Instead of ordinary potato salad as a side: jalapeño potato salad, which was great. The chicken taco salad (made with pulled chicken) was the best I have ever had. The kids' steaks came cut into pieces (a nice, family-friendly touch) and they loved the watermelon sodas (Sierra Mist with watermelon syrup added). The dessert selections were varied and delicious.

The service was prompt and friendly and -- a very good sign -- several of the customers appeared to be locals.

We definitely will return.

1  Thank Nepean_Family
Reviewed August 14, 2014

After a long drive from Washington DC, we stumbled upon Chilli Peppers when making a turn towards the beaches of the Outer Banks. Initially thinking it was merely a beach shack and bar, we were a bit hesitant, but the children were hungry so they were keen to get inside. And we were really glad we too k the plunge - we discovered a hub of fabulous food and friendly staff, buzzing with vacationers and locals alike. The focus is upon seafood (not surprisingly given the location), although there is plenty else on the menu. Prices are family friendly and the children were delighted with their takeaway 'Chilli Peppers OBX' cup, a little souvenir of their East Coast road trip, and were even interested enough to research the etymology of "Kill Devil Hills", the local town. Would be happy to go back.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Ate here w my family of five. For the steamed shrimp as an app which was good but the shrimp was u cleaned, mean if not deveined, which I guess is normal for peel and eat??? Honestly not sure but there was so my cr$& in there it was tough to eat.

I got the surf and turf burger (burger w crab). The burger has very little crab and a lot of onions - couldn't taste the crab.

Overall it was just OK. Not great. Service was a bit slow but it was packed.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go there again, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to avoid either.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

On our recent trip to the Outer Banks we stopped into Chilli Peppers for dinner one night. The atmosphere inside is very laid back. We had an 18 month old child with us and no one even noticed he was there. Our waitress at first was a little cold but she warmed up quickly. I had one of the best Shrimp Po boys that I have ever had. My husband and a friend of ours got the steak fajitas and my husband cleaned his plate. Another friend of ours had the pasta special that night, which was shrimp and penne in a pesto sauce. I tried some and it was delicious. The prices are fair, the service was good, and it was child friendly.