“Do NOT Overlook JK's in Kill Devil Hills”
Review of JK's Restaurant

JK's Restaurant
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2010

After many years of avoiding JK's because of incorrectly associating with a barbecue place, we've eaten there on both of our trips to the Outer Banks in the last year. The first visit (June 2009) destroyed all of our previous notions and immediately put it in our top 5 restaurants in the Outer Banks. The second visit (April 2010) lived up to the high expectations.

The outside is rather pedestrian and does nothing to draw you in, although it appears more well-kept than a lot of other restaurants around. When you step inside, you are greeted by a warm and inviting atmosphere with hardwood, comforting colors, and small semi-divided dining areas. This is definitely a white table cloth place, but casual enough that you can still take the kids. It's not necessarily dressy as shorts and flip flops are acceptable, but in an upscale and cleaned up way. You don't want to go straight there from the beach.

The menu is varied, with enough creativity to differentiate the place from the glut of other sti down restaurants in the area. They have pretty much everything to offer in the realm of meat (all kinds) and fresh seafood. The menu changes regularly depending on what's available locally. Additionally, there is a surprisingly reasonably priced and varied wine list. They're a little light on the number of wines by the glass, but they make up for it by the number of under $40 bottles.

On our most recent visit, we had the JK's Special (skewered shrimp and filet, both grilled) and the Veal Chop. The temperatures were perfect, the meat was tender, and the portions reasonable. Sides are limited, but you don't really notice because of the selection of entrees. We had mashed potatoes (perfectly seasoned) and grilled asparagus (a little disappointing because I make better grilled asparagus, but not bad). We saved room for fresh homemade peach cobbler with a scoop of ice cream.

Service was attentive, knowledgeable, and not overbearing. It was not busy as we were there on a Monday night, but it appeared that you could get in and out as fast or as slow as suited you.

We will definitely be back on our next visit.

1  Thank jmu1993

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2009

great place

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We ate at JK's on a Thursday evening in July with a party of 11. They were very accomodating with our large party. Most in the party enjoyed a steak or seafood or one of JK's combination specials with beef and seafood. We also had the fried green tomatoes appetizer which was delicious. Service was good from the start but trailed off later into dinner. We were there at 6:30 PM so our server may have just gotten progressively more busy. Only down side is the addition of 20% gratuity for parties of 6 or more and no ability to leave more tip when the credit card confirmation arrived. What happened to 18% added since 15% is for standard service? Then give the patron the ability to tip greater than 18% if the service warrants it? Overall a great experience.

Reviewed June 30, 2009

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to the Outer Banks, NC and we dined the first night at JK's. I did a thorough review of favored restaurants in the area on Trip Advisor before we left and I almost overlooked JK's because it somehow had 'barbecue joint' attached to it's name. While they do have ribs on the menu this is not a BBQ joint. This is one of the best dining experiences I've ever had and I'm not sure why JK's isn't rated #1 for Kill Devil Hills on TA. ??? You should know before you go that this is not a place for the budget minded. While my husband and I are not wealthy by any means we knew ahead of time what to expect and planned accordingly concerning the cost. It was also a milestone birthday for me so we wanted to go somewhere special. JK's fit the bill to a tee. The outside is very plain and subdued (you could almost miss it driving down the main drag) and they don't open until 5:00 pm. We arrived around 6:30 or so and we prepared ourselves for a wait since it was Friday. However, we were accommodated immediately with a lovely table. The interior is gorgeous! Dark woods and earth tones; classic, clean lines and linens on the tables. The lighting is low with candles on all of the tables which makes for a romantic dinner. The wait staff was amazing; our server was on the ball and very friendly (wish I could remember her name). My husband said he had never seen wait staff work as hard as they do at JK's. They are in constant motion, never stopping or goofing off. The main thing is the food...and I'm just not sure I can express how wonderful the food was! Everything was very fresh; I ordered the yellowfin tuna (3 inches thick!) which was grilled and topped with carmelized onions, applewood bacon and blue cheese crumbles served with rice and steamed broccoli w/hollandaise sauce. Beyond description! My husband ordered a new york strip with baked potato and broccoli. He said it was one of the best steaks he'd ever had (that's saying something for him). We started our meal off with fresh, lightly fried local scallops. Delicious! I also ordered a glass of Riesling which was fantastic. Overall, if you are looking for a special, out of this world meal while in the Outer Banks you can look no further than JK's!

Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is the best place we've eaten yet in the Outer Banks. The filet and the lamb chops were out of this world and cooked to perfection. The veggies and potoatos (either mashed or baked) were also great, and the tobacco onion rings were out of this world! The service was great, and the atmosphere is quiet and relaxing. And the prices are very reasonable.