“stick to tacky t-shirts” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar

Awful Arthur's Oyster Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manteo, North Carolina
“stick to tacky t-shirts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We didnt enjoy AA. Perhaps they would give a better indication of the dump inside if they removed the Arthur's from the name. The place is overpriced and filthy. tourist trap would be an understatement. Beware

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank james h

Boone, North Carolina
“Awful Arthur's=name”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My friend suggested this eatery so we went for dinner. The place was dark & very noisy. The setting is one room with a long bar with the 'kitchen' directly behind the bar. I ordered the trout with slaw & new potatoes. Baked potato was not available even though it was dinner. My friend ordered the seafood platter & substituted wahoo for the flounder. The wahoo was overcooked, the shrimp was fair. A food safety hazard was the very warm slaw containing mayo. :-(. The potatoes had so much parsley it had to be scraped off to eat. My trout was tasty. The major annoyance interfering with our meal was the cook staff behind the bar were yelling & slamming the oven door incessantly adding to the noise of the crowd! There was no reason for this annoying behavior. We recommend that time and vacation money be better spent at Sugar Creek or Owens.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, Texas
“Awful good Outer Banks seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were told there'd be a 90-minute wait (at 7:00 on a July weeknight) but we were told we could check the oyster bar for seating, and we found two spots right then! Good start and it just got better. Jonathan was the affable guy behind the bar...he was shucking oysters while he told us the specials and took our drink orders. We got our best seafood of the entire week, AND the best service. An order of steamed, spiced shrimp as an appetizer is a must. And when we asked if there was any Old Bay, Jonathan delivered a cannister in a hurry, with a smile. The catch of the day was tasty, as were shrimp, scallops and she-crab soup. This place rocks. Can't wait to return.

Visited July 2013
Winchester, VA
“Yum yum yum!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

After a couple of so-so meals I decided to try Awful Arthur's thanks to the recommendation of a very sweet cashier at The Gap. Oh my, what a find. I have been vacationing at OBX for 12 years and this was the first time I tried AA. It is a small place so the seating is limited. At 5 and 6 (yep, I ate dinner there back to back days and would have gone for the 3rd except for the torrential downpour) there was already an hour wait for a table. But, if you are willing to eat at the bar, you can sit pretty much immediately. The absolutely best crab cakes I have EVER eaten. The flounder was fantastic as well. The cole slaw and hush puppies are sweet and fresh. Although my platter was fried, it was not overly breaded or greasy but instead crisped to perfection. My mouth is watering just writing this!! The Long Island iced teas are marvelous as well.

Visited July 2013
Iselin, New Jersey, United States
“Oysters everywhere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We go to awful Arthur's every year. Our family really loves oysters and this is a place where u can actually order a peck of oysters! My son eats the whole peck by himself which is about 40 or so oysters. The other seafood dishes are always good,the crab balls are great as are the baked oysters stuffed with spinach ,bacon and cheese. There is a fun bar upstairs and they have great drinks. It's a fun really casual place.

Visited June 2013