“The placer isn't swanky but the food is excellent.”
Review of Carolina Seafood - CLOSED

Carolina Seafood
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Takeout
Reviewed January 9, 2009

If you are looking to pay a huge amount of money for atmosphere, this is NOT the place for you. If you want to have succulent crab legs that actually look like the ones they show on the red lobster commercial but in real life, then this IS the place for you. Basically, it is a tiny little shanty. This place doesn't purport to be a 4 star restaurant, you won't find any french hosts or thick pretense or the facade of glamor. But if you were looking for that in the first place, why are you on vacation in the laid back Outer Banks to begin with? It is a quaint little place possessing almost a nostalgic feel to it and they serve up lots of steamed goodies (clams, blue crabs prepared in various seasoning options) that are brought piping hot to your table as part of the buffet so you get the best of both the buffet value and the quality of a meal ordered from the menu. My dad, brother, and I are all pretty big guys and we have always gone to Carolina Seafood with huge appetites and we have always left full and content. The food has always met or exceeded our expectations.

2  Thank jcb298

Reviewed October 14, 2008

Six of us visited the Carolina Seafood Buffet on our trip to Avon the end of September. We drove the miles back up the banks to enjoy seafood. We arrived at four, were promptly seated and had a waitress at our table at once. She was a great people person, had a lovely smile on her face and was very helpful with everything, to include showing us twice how to eat the whole crab. The King Crab legs were delicious, there was a great variety of seafood on the buffet as well as a huge beef roast. The price is high but not for what we ate. I am sure I ate enough King Crab legs to make up the difference between the thirty dollar price and the twenty that you would pay anywhere else with no variety.

The service was great throughout the course of the meal, the desserts were on ice but who really needed dessert. The sampler from the kitchen of mussels, shrimp, crab, and scallops was great and we could order any of that in quantity all included in the price.
Okay, so maybe the mac and cheese wasn't that great but who goes to the beach to eat mac and cheese. Take the kids to McDonalds...

We definitely would go back again. In fact I dream about those King Crab legs even now, so soon after we were there... Way to go Carolina Seafood Buffet.

Reviewed July 17, 2008

A group of 12 of us visited this establishment for dinner tonight. It was the WORST experience I have ever had at a restaurant in my Iife!!!! Not only was the food greasy and cold, but you couldn't sit in your seat for 3 seconds without someone bumping into you in this sardine can of a restaurant. Obviously, the owners only care about making money, because you have no room to eat or breath. The place is overpriced at $30 a person, and if I could give it a negative rating of -1000, I would. Save your money. The service is horrible, the place is dirty and the bathrooms are unsanitary, and I would rather eat at Long John Silvers. Stay Away!!!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2008

This place was okay - small and very cramped - but I doubt we'd go back. The hostess was rude - not a "people person" by any stretch - and the wait was MUCH longer (1:15) than they told us (30min). The place is TINY so I can see why it took so long, but you'd think they'd have a better idea. The buffet was smaller than I expected for the price, but the food was pretty good - best were the crab cakes, crab legs and soup - to not so good (mahi). Very little selection for little kids. The wait staff was very nice and quite attentive, so that helped. Bathrooms are TINY - one person each, so expect to wait if they are busy.

Reviewed June 30, 2008

While on vacation in Rodanthe June 25, 2008, we drove back to Kill Devil Hills on the advice of a friend to eat at Carolina Seafood. We ended up being seated in a far corner (5 adults) where we could hardly move. The buffet was on the other side of a wall. Shoving your way to get to it was a time consuming effort. Lots of kids running around and some 8-11 year olds were serving themselves. I don't know what time they prepared the foods (we were there at 5:30) but most were tough and cold. I found a few items tasty but most were not that appealing. The price was $29 a person and that did not count the drinks or tip you felt you had to leave the person serving your tea! Save your money and go to a place like Awful Arthur's for great seafood probably at less price than the $29 per person at Carolina Seafood.

1  Thank WVBelle