“I thought it was GREAT.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carolina Seafood - CLOSED

Carolina Seafood
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Warren
“I thought it was GREAT.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

OK, I'm a seafood fan from coast to coast, and if you don't really want seafood, you DO NOT WANT TO GO HERE.

This is a buffet, and it was basically packed by 4:30PM. Everything on the buffet our group of four got was basically excellent; steamed crab legs done just right, several fish dishes, steamed shrimp, a good crab bisque, and addiional oyster items, scallops - and if you get there between 4-5 PM and 'know the deal' you get a free additional lobster tail - small, but a VERY nice bonus when you're trying to introduce teenagers to a wide variety of seafood.

Deserts were now chillled, BTW.

Biggest problem was it was incredibly busy, and if you've got a big group, a long wait. We slid in with 4 OK, but a group of 10 waited for nearly an hour.

Considering the quality and amount of scallops, lobster, and crab my teenagers ate, I don't consider it overpriced at all!

My youngest son, who is studying restaurant management and culinary, also gave it thumbs up, and he's a miserable restaurant critic for a 17-year-old.

Biggest problem I saw was that they were running flat-out to handle a capacity crowd on a Wednesday night in season.

Wilmington
“Liked it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

I liked the restaurant- it looks like a beach shack but the buffet was great! I thought the prices were reasonable for what you got. Definitely would recommend

Milwaukee
“Terrible... don't waste your money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

A person who we met on the beach recommended Carolina Seafood, so we went. Not sure what they found appealing, but we found it awful. We were stuffed into a corner below a loud speaker with flies buzzing around our heads. There were bugs on the floor, which we spotted after we started eating. Expensive buffet which does not include softdrinks. Service is lousy since the servers have to deal with the small space and dodging the patrons getting to the buffet. The crab legs were too salty. Shrimp was over cooked. There were not enough options for the kids. The mac-n-cheese was terrible and the desserts tasted like they had been sitting in the fridge for a few days.
The only thing that tasted ok was the fried whitefish and clam strips. Total waste of money.

2 Thank twodays
Ottawa. On
“Pricey and not worth the trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

Visited Carolina Seafood on July 27. Very expensive (26$) buffet. Not many items on menu. Very disapointed. I can get a cheaper / better meal at a French restaurant in Montréal. Dessert were sitting on top the buffet warming light. Needless to say that most were started to melt from the heat. Dessert chould be put on ice.

I just hope other seafood buffet on the Outer banks are better because we did not try any other after our visit there.

Johnson City, TN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NOT a good space for small kids”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

Mediocre buffet with crab legs. If you're not eating the crab legs it's not worth the price. Steamed crab and scallops are good. However, our hostess was very crabby during our visit and seemed affronted by our bringing along our toddler and newborn. We were told while she seated us to be sure our baby didn't disturb the other customers, and when my husband took our toddler to the car for a break from the restaurant chaos our waiter asked a few times if he would be eating (read: paying the buffet fee). We assured him that he would pay the buffet fee. He even asked us not to keep others waiting. Not only were these people rude and unwelcoming to my family, they also just do not realize that parents of small children neither stay a long time at a restaurant nor eat enough to warrant the $26 buffet fee. Our tending to our children didn't prolong our visit; in fact, we were out of their before most of the parties around us! I would urge parents of young kids to think twice before visiting this restaurant. A much better choice (and much more delicious) would be the to-go buckets of seafood offered by Jimmy's restaurant, at about half the cost of what we paid for 5 adults at Carolina. Take your money elsewhere.

1 Thank Time_Turner