“Wonderful Meal and Outstanding Service”

Port O' Call Restaurant and Gaslight Saloon
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Suffolk, Virginia
“Wonderful Meal and Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

On April 13, 2014 Port O' Call catered our wedding. We ordered the Low Country Boil for our guests; the food arrived on time and Chef Paul Penrose delivered the food himself. The food was plentiful, delicious and we even has some left over. We have NO complaints (Bride was happy, Groom was happy and the guests were happy)
We also had dinner there on the 15th of April. I new husband had the Prime Rib with the season veggies and I had the Ribeye also with the season veggies. (OMG so good) If you like honey mustard for your dressing ask to taste it.............that was so good too it has a real honey taste.

Try the Crepe's.............(Rasberry is the best)

Chef Paul and Staff thank you for a wonderful Wedding experience and a great Honeymoon dinner.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Prime Rib!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stopped in on a rainy and windy
night on the Outer Banks. Was not in the mood for seafood as I wanted something to fill me all the way up! My wife went for the crab legs and a bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer. My kids split a crab dip then got an Alfredo and chicken fingers with fries. They said they dug it and their empty plates proved it. But the best part of my night was the prime rib. You get a salad to start but otherwise nothing was gonna keep me from finishing the 16 ouncer I ordered with their potato of the day- sort of a cheese and bacon potato bake. This prime rib is the sole reason I am writing this review. IT IS AWESOME!!!! Service was nice too-server was named Brian. Manager came by and talked to every table, seemed sincere. We are going back again this week!

1 Thank Memywifeandkidsx2
“Delightful Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Visiting the Outer Banks with my young neices before the season begins. I wanted to take them to a restaurant that I have often enjoyed, so we went to the Port O' Call. It was a Monday evening, so the restaurant was not crowded. We were seated quickly, as my neices are 6 and 8, not having to wait for seating was a great help. Our server was very prompt to the table and very friendly. We looked over the menu; I appreciate the number of selections we could choose from. The girls were thrilled with the "grown-up" frozen cocktails and the beautiful fruit plate. I had a fresh salad with delicious blue cheese dressing on the side.
I ordered the fried shrimp, the girls choose steak and alfredo. The food was presented beautifully, my shrimp were lightly breaded, so I could really taste the shrimp. The servings were generous. I expected to take some home, but we finished it all!
The girls were looking forward to dessert, so plates were finished. The chocolate cake they selected was moist and delicious.
Our service was not rushed, but dinner moved along well, so the girls didn't have a reason to be restless. I even was able to enjoy an espresso after my meal.
This restaurant has been a long-time favorite of mine and I know that I will return to enjoy the atmosphere, the service and the food on my next trip to the beach.

Upstate New York
“Awful! Spend your money elsewhere!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We read the reviews and decided to try it out-big mistake!! We ordered appetizers. One of the clams was very bad-required spitting out and lemon to be brought to the table to get the awful taste out of his mouth. The Oysters Rockefeller was good. The main meals came out-ALL of it was stone cold! The prime rib was tiny. We sent the food back-the waitress by the way was wonderful-and it came back JUST AS COLD! At that point, we gave up, sent it all back and the manager came out. The manager tried to sell us the scam that the prime rib is supposed to be 'cool' in temp. He comped the bill but what a disappointing and wasted evening. STAY AWAY!

Visited April 2014
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Food was expensive and not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

We choose this restaurant as our first dinner night at Outer Banks. The menu seemed good a little expensive but decent selection so we decided to give it a try. My wife who has cancer and my sixteen year old who is very petite decided they could not eat an entire meal by themselves so this is where the problem begins. They charge you a $6 "Plating Fee" for sharing. The second problem was the side selections, They did not serve baked potatoes ( I feel it should be a crime for restaurants not to offer a baked potato as it is an American Staple) , There sides were very limited, and the waiter frowned when we request corn on the cob "because it is only available with steam pots". The next problem was with the food itself. The salad was the smallest salad I have ever been given in a restaurant - literally it was a few greens that covered the bottom of the bowl - but barely! The Shrimp that my wife and daughter shared was tough and rubbery, I had the crab legs and they were also tough and rubbery - like they had been previously cooked and heated back up. The Asparagus (their version of seasonal vegetables) were way undercooked.
It's a shame because the interior decor was nice and I can see that this restaurant has potential but unfortunately our dinner was so bad we will not be returning.
This is one Port of Call we will not be making on our return trips.

1 Thank Lawrence C