“Pretty Place, Great Service, So-So Food”

Port O' Call Restaurant and Gaslight Saloon
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Ate here with friends while passing through Nags Head. Good looking restaurant set apart by polished wood and stained glass. Ordered a few items from the menu while at the bar. Chowder was bland and tasted a bit chalky which we brought to the attention of the manager who went back to the kitchen and ordered the cook to toss the chowder out and whip up a new batch. He served us all a bowl of the fresh soup which was much better. He thanked us for bringing the matter to his attention and refused to charge us for the remade chowder. Nice guy.

The burger I had was fantastic. Fresh hamburger on a toasted Kaiser roll ($9.99). Surprisingly there were no beers on tap. Only bottled which seemed a little strange given the size of the place. All in all it was a good experience and we would certainly consider returning if we're ever in the neighborhood again. Service was very good.

There's a large gift shop on the premises selling crystal-ware, jewelry, cigars, souvenirs and custom made pocket knives.

2  Thank Michael R

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We decided to give this restaurant a try since it was within walking distance to our motel, and we knew it had been around for a long time. We both chose the special of the day…grouper topped with crabmeat and a white sauce. Our meals arrived lukewarm and, although the portions were generous,, nothing was particularly good. The rice pilaf and side vegetables were bland and the fish was tough. The crab topping was the best part of the meal. Service was very poor too. With so many other outstanding restaurants on the Outer Banks, there is no need to go to a restaurant that can’t deliver good service and decent food.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went on 9/16 for dinner and were very disappointed with the food and service. My wife and I have been here before and enjoyed awesome meals. Last night the food was over cooked and had absolutely no taste. We waited 30 minutes for soup and had our lackluster meal served before we finished our soup...a real pet peeve of mine. When my wife told our waiter Chris that her tuna was tasteless, she was schooled that their "sushi grade" tuna had no taste. Go figure. At least they didn't charge us for her meal. I wll never eat here again. I don't need the wait staff to cop an attitude with me to encourage me to not return. Message received Chris ;)

ronnie m, General Manager at Port O' Call Restaurant and Gaslight Saloon, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Hello my name is Ronnie Merrel im the General Manager and im very sorry for the experience you had at our restaurant!! I assure you this is not how we want your dining experience to be or how we do business!! You said you have been here in times past and had good experiences and id like you to return and try us again! Im extending a 50.00 gift certificate to you in hopes you will return so we can show you the experience you expected!! You may contact me at 252 441 7484 or via email heels9397@yahoo. Sincerely Ronnie I Merrell General manager!!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Every year we come to the OBX, we go to the Port of Call the first night we get in and sit at the bar. Its across the street from the hotel we stay at and we can walk to it.
The bartenders are so nice and great to talk with you. We go from Labor Day monday through the week. It's not busy and we are able to eat and enjoy our time there. Every year we go in we make a new friends who works behind the bar or see someone from the year before. As the evening goes on, you meet other people who come in to sit and have a drink and your talking to them in no time and finding out where everyone is from.
The food we had was good,but the treatment from the guys and a few locals and vistors was great! We went back again on thurs evening for dinner and drinks at the bar and again they were great to hang out with!
We'll be back next year and will meet some new ones and hope to see some of our old friends too!
Thanks for 2 great evenings!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Had the stuffed flounder which was very good, the mashed garlic potatoes were glue like and the mixed vegetables had no flavor. The experience was uncomfortable, the waiter had attitude as we sat down. He served our meals and we didn't see him until we got the bill.

Hello im Ronnie Merrell the General manger and i apologize for the poor service you received at our restaurant and i promise this is not we condone or offer!! We have been here on the OBX for 48 years and try to offer a great dining experience and service but obviously we didnt meet your expectations and i want to say we are sorry for that!! Id like to extend a gift certificate to you if you would contact me via email or phone heels9397@yahoo.co or 252 441 7484!! Please accept my apologies, and let me assure you we are not perfect but we try to make sure all our customers are happy and return! Sincerely Ronnie I Merrell General Manager