“Not bad, but kinda high.”

Mako Mikes Beach Grille & Bar
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mako Mike's menu has something delicious for every palate featuring: fresh Outer Banks seafood, filets, chicken, pork, veal, pasta dishes, salads, chowders, delicious appetizers, and wood oven pizzas made in our authentic Italian wood burning oven! One of the most dynamic menus of all Outer Banks restaurants.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This wasn't a bad place to eat, but with the other great restaurants in the area, it was kind of high for the quality of the food. We had good service and they have a good selection for everyone, which was why we went. Some of the meals were better than others. One of the kids liked there steak and the other hated there pizza. My wife was not impressed with her pasta dish and my philly cheese steak was ok. The main problem is that the prices are as much as the really good restaurants in the area.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Food was just ok, restaurant is looking run down. Not good enough for the money. Server was very friendly though.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My experience of resort area restaurants is that they generally underwhelm with their food quality and service. They are able to rely on a constantly replenishing supply of new customers so they just don't bother to provide the level of quality that would be essential if they wanted to survive in an environment where they would have to depend on being able to attract repeat business back.
That is why Mako Mikes in the weirdly named town of Kill Devil Hills in North Carolina's Outer Banks was a pleasant surprise.
We arrived clutching a stack of local area travel information and the host thoughtfully sat us next to a window where we could benefit from the fading light to read our various brochures.
The water we asked for was quickly provided along a basket of the best cornbread I have ever had and some excellent scones with butter.
We started with an order of buffalo shrimp, lightly breaded and medium spiced, then my partner Coleen ordered the Flounder stuffed with crab Imperial, served with rice and vegetables, I went for the plain butter broiled flounder with mashed potatoes and upgraded to a Caesar salad as my second side.
We asked if the fish was fresh and our waiter answered honestly that it was fresh frozen.
This was refreshing, as I've been told so often that fish was fresh only to have it taste as if it had spent months in a deep freezer; and realistically unless a restaurant buys every day from local fishermen just how fresh can fish be?
The good news is that, fresh frozen or not, both servings were delicious.
We both enjoyed a generous pour of the very decent Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc at a modest $4.75 a glass and the wine just enhanced a very enjoyable dining experience.
Our waiter, Fabian, was attentive, helpful and very professional. Would that there were more like him.
Total bill including the wine was $55, a very reasonable price for an very nice meal, far better than I was expecting given the location and previous disappointments in similar situations.
I may never go back to Kill Devil Hills (I really have to find out where that name came from) but if I do Mako Mikes will be a must visit.
Thanks!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We came to the outer banks for our one year anniversary and was feeling like seafood the first night we were here. Looking at reviews we thought this might be a good place to try. Hostesses acted like they were clueless on where they wanted to seat us (as in the waitresses were fighting over tables i actually overheard them say well i just seated a table in her section lets not put them in her section). Atmosphere was ok; our waitress was nice kept our glasses full. My husband had the mixed grill which was mahi mahi and tuna and he said it was ok and for him to say it was ok i would have said it was nasty because he is none too picky! He did say the fish tasted like it was just thrown on the grill no seasoning and dry. Garlic potatoes were good but i can fix better ones at home. I had crab legs which were good but you can't really mess those up.The rolls and cornbread were good but nothing special that made them stand out. I overheard another waitress tell a table after she was asked about something on the menu that she didnt know what it was (big no no, make sure your waitresses know what they are serving!) I thought the menu was over priced for the quality and atmosphere of the restaurant. I doubt we will go back.

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Over hyped in its advertising, but we were prepared for that based on other people's reviews. Very pleasant staff, interesting decor. The food was OK, but not outstanding. We had fair coconut shrimp, oovercooked tuna, and undistinguished mako shark. The sides were better than the entrées.

1  Thank Peter A