“Nothing Special”
Review of Peppercorns

Peppercorns
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Description: Peppercorns oceanview restaurant is located inside Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront hotel at Mile Post 9.5 on the Beach Road in Kill Devil Hills, NC. Opened year round for breakfast and dinner, Peppercorns also serves lunch during summer season either inside the restaurant or outside,at the Dragonfly deckbar.
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Decided to eat there with the family. When we walked in there was only another couple seated and a single person at another table. It was dinner time , I was a bit hesitant due to the lack of customers. I ordered a cheeseburger and wife ordered fish strips. Waiter was not to personable. Food came out after about 15-20 min. Food was clean, hot and was ok. No wow factor. Condiments were brought out in squeeze bottles, though this was a little odd for a more upscale restauraunt. Not sure if we would go back. Prices was moderate .

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Love Peppercorns. They never disappoint. The view is incredible out over their lovely deck to the ocean. The food is tasty and plentiful. I had fresh fruit cup for breakfast. Was truly fresh fruit and every single piece was ripe and fresh. Oatmeal is real old-fashioned. Extra nice having waitstaff that remembers you and your preferences from day to day. Never disappointed.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had it not been for a billboard we saw on the way down, we would (still) not known about Peppercorns. And we've been dining at the OBX for years. Decided to have breakfast some rainy day ... which was today. It's in the Ramada at about the 9.5 MP, right across from Miller's Restaurant on the beach road. We usually avoid chain hotel restaurants for reasons I'm sure most travelers can appreciate. But, here goes.

The restaurant location within the hotel is not obvious by any means. Go up the elevator or take the stairs up one flight. Turn right and go up another half flight, then turn to the left. You won't get an ocean view from the first floor of any site around here.

The place has been newly renovated. Looks fine.

Kelly was our waiteress. And a fine one. Keep reading.

The breakfast menu was varied, not pricey for the beach location ... and includes a basic omelette with cheese that you can add other items to ... for 50 cents per item ... except the crabmeat ... and the hollendaise sauce ... $1.00 each. We opted for the crab ... and the sauce. That brought the total omelette price to $7.99 each. Not bad price!

Kelly explained that the crabmeat was not "fresh". To this Eastern Shore raised boy, that means one thing. But we pressed Kelly for what that meant. It was not local, but she did not have details (yet). I guessed frozen or canned. Turns out it was canned, Asian, I'd guess. Not that I care. We ordered it, along with home fries and well buttered toast.

When the food arrived, our omelettes were stuffed with crabmeat. I can tell the difference between canned and fresh, but this was not bad ... especially for $8. I would have liked more hollendaise sauce, but it was good enough.

The homefries were deep fried to perfection. I prefer deep fried, and I ate them all before they got cold. Kelly told us that she pre-buttered our toast herself, and asked if it looked OK. It did, and the toast was indeed ... toast. We hate warm bread.

Kelly kept our coffee cups full. And they had flavored creamers, not just half-and-half. Not Seattle's Best, but decent coffee.

After breakfast, Kelly checked with the cook and confirmed to us, without being asked, that the crab was indeed canned.

I looked at the dinner menu as we were leaving. Decent, too, but I'm not sure we'd go there for dinner. But if we were staying there ... and it was raining, it would be a good choice, I'd think.

If I have one complaint, it was that the external water hose was not working, and the view thru the windows to the ocean was er, ah, cloudy. Fix the hose and wash the windows.

Hats off to Kelly who was working the whole floor herself. Plus buttering.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

It's pretty much all locals and... dull. Better to go elsewhere. I'm actually here right now and only the people from the same two tables have been allowed to sing. They don't sing fun karaoke... more... failed dreams of fame songs.

1  Thank aholtscl
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is the restaurant in the Ramada Inn. We had read reports not to eat dinner there, but we figured it would be ok for breakfast. How do you mess up that? Well it was actually gross. I ordered scrambled eggs and toast, the eggs where weird tasting. My husband ordered and egg and ham scramble. It was so full of cheese and grease, it was a sloppy mess. Actually looked like it something a baby pukes up. I would say stay away and go somewhere else. On top of it, you can't even eat your breakfast on the back deck, which would have been a nice perk. Sorry, but I would say stay away