“Quaint Little Motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outer Banks Motor Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Motor Lodge
You added Outer Banks Motor Lodge to your Saves list
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Leola, Pennsylvania
“Quaint Little Motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This motel is an older motel but has everything you need without the added expense of adding the things you really don't need, but rather want. This is our annual home away from home. we stay here every year and really like the atmosphere, the people, the cleanliness, the beach ! Want a great value ? This is the place !
Our only complaints are that the other visitors are not considerate - making loud 'party' noise ALL night that you can not sleep and the motel does allow pets - which is okay - BUT the other visitors walk their dogs close to the rooms and do not clean up the mess. Walking in dog poop first thing in the morning is not my idea of a good time at the beach. Not a problem with the motel regarding this - they provide a nice side yard - the visitors just do not care. Many diseases could result.
Personally, I feel the motel should return to the "No Pets Allowed" policy. We have someone come in to take care of our critters while we are away so why should others encroach on our peace with dog poop and dog howling all night. Just saying.
The motel itself is a great value with great people.

Room Tip: The beach front room are real nice to wake up to and see the beach - cozy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank JodysJewelry
Hoot66, Manager at Outer Banks Motor Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to right a review. I'm so glad you were pleased with your visit minus the dogs using the bathroom in areas they should not. I am so sorry you found yourself walking around and maybe even thru poop. Because you have brought this to my attention we have since gone out and stomped the pavement scooping up any such problem. This pet friendly policy is something in question. I have so many guests who take care of their pets and are considerate of others however it only takes that 1 or 2 to ruin it for so many others. Again thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention and we hope to see you again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Pros:
Good location
Clean
Quiet

Cons:
Outdated decor and furniture
Small Rooms

Very old 70s type motel with 90s style decor. We only needed a place to sleep and shower, so the lodge served its purpose. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• 1 of 5 stars
Pinehurst, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here!!! You can not beat the value!!! Rooms are extremely clean, right on the beach, and even a great pool area!! We will be back again but next time we will get an ocean view room!!!

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We just arrived home from our 2nd visit to the OBX Motor Lodge. My first review was pretty glowing, but this time was not exactly up to that standard. While the room was just as clean, and overall a VERY good value - the quality of service and the quality of our stay was not as nice.

Since my first review, they have had a policy change. All rooms are now non-smoking, but smoking is allowed outside on the porch of all rooms. While at first I thought this policy would be an improvement, it actually is not. Anytime we walked from our room to the beach, or to the parking lot, we had to walk through clouds of smoke. I usually just held my breathe. On our first stay, I enjoyed sitting on the porch with coffee and watching the sunrise. Not possible now - unless you want to have a few second-hand cigarettes with your coffee... which I don't. This forced me off the porch and my relaxing porch rocking turned into walks. Not entirely bad... but not what I would prefer all the time. I have to say that for non-smokers, having the smokers and non-smokers on different floors was better.

Also, we experienced poor housekeeping. While things were cleaned with no issues - we did not always get our towels and coffee service re-stocked. With a 4 person reservation, we checked in and found only 2 bath towels. It was late, so we just used a couple of beach towels to make up for the shorted towels. The next day we received a new stock of 4 towels! Awesome! The day after we only received 3 towels, then 4 again, and then three. I went to the office twice for shorted towels. We experienced the same thing with the coffee service. It was only replaced once - twice I had to go to the office to get fresh coffee/filters. Twice I just went without and got my coffee at the Front Porch Café.

The pool was great. Free laundry machines for guests is awesome. We did everything from grill burgers to bake cookies!

So as I said... overall I still believe the OBXML is a very good value, however our next OBX vacation will be spent elsewhere. When traveling on a budget - or if you smoke or don't mind second-hand smoke, the Motor Lodge truly is a gem.

Room Tip: Room 5 is my least favorite. Foot wash/shower is right in front of the window, as is the stairway t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dean K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Super clean, affordable lodging on the Outer Banks. Convenient location. Very friendly staff and wonderful manager on site. We love coming here. We love that it's locally owned and operated with great southern hospitality!

1 Thank Okiegirl2003
Abingdon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

After driving into town and deciding to stay at the last minute, my husband and I didn't want an expensive hotel since we got in fairly late. It was by far the least expensive around. We found it to be very clean, comfortable and quiet. Employees were helpful and friendly and the pool was clean and the beach access convenient. We would stay here again and I definitely recommend if you are looking for a deal but don't mind the lack of frills.

1 Thank abreed02
McDonough, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

What an amazing value!! If you're looking for a modern, high-rise hotel with hot tubs and lots of glitz and glamour, move on down the road. But if you want a clean, spacious, peaceful, relaxing "step back in time" beach experience, don't miss out on this one! Front desk personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. Room was an incredible value -- LARGE room with 2 beds, dining area with TV, full-size kitchen and a separate bedroom with another full-size bed and TV. Comfortable beds and nicely-equipped kitchen. Large pool and complimentary washer/dryer. But what really makes this hotel so wonderful is the full-length porch outside the room filled with comfortable rocking chairs. PERFECT for watching dolphins with early morning coffee and watching the sunset with an evening glass of wine. Directly on the beach. Convenient to restaurants and stores. We were three ladies traveling together and we felt very safe out walking in the evenings. Talked to several people in other rooms who have stayed there multiple times, and I can certainly understand why. Don't let the fact that is it "old" keep you from staying there, because in this case it's DEFINITELY "an oldie, but a goodie"!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have better view of beach. We were in the last unit on the end which also mean fewer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends