“Family friendly”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Motor Lodge
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was our first time in the Outer Banks. We got there 4 hours before the check in time and because our room was ready they let us in without a problem which we thought was very nice and considerate having two toddlers. It is not a five star hotel but has everything for a family to enjoy. Just steps from the beach and the location is just perfect! I would recommend this place to my friends. We are looking forward to stay there next time we go!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Roselba U
There are newer reviews for Outer Banks Motor Lodge

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Well, where to begin...I grew up coming to OBML, beginning in the early 70's, with my parents and sister. Then my husband and I vacationed here with my parents. Next, we brought our children here and joined the grandparents. Lastly, 2 wks ago, my husband and I celebrated our 25th Anniversary here ALL ALONE. We've come full circle, but can't wait to return!

The improvements to the pool, upstairs deck and stair replacement, very comfortable beds and bedding are very nice, and we observed outdoor painting going on. The fact that the AC was very efficient for its age, there was ample hot water, everything worked as it should, was more than enough to make us happy. But, keep in mind, we are not hard to please, nor had we been on a vaca in 5 yrs!! We enjoy comfort, but do not require frills.

We stayed in an upstairs efficiency for 2 nights, and had to move to a 1st floor unit for the 3rd night. I must vote for upstairs, if possible. Hands down, that view and those rockers make lugging that heavy cooler up the stairs well worth the effort! The staff was EXTREMELY friendly and the housekeepers could not have paid more attention to detail! You asked, you received...

There was 1 small issue, a leaky faucet in the bathtub. Within 5 minutes of checking in and discovering the problem, maintenance arrived, changed the handle, and we never heard another drip. I was very surprised with the low noise level in the units, both upstairs and downstairs, during our stay. I realize we probably just got lucky!

We had a wonderful breakfast right across the street at Miller's, well worth the short wait!! Lots to do within walking/biking distance as well. We hope to return soon with my parents and, who knows, maybe the teenagers will come with us too! :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susan W
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Yes, by most people's standards, this place is a dump. However, it really isn't a completely terrible place to stay once you "adjust" to it. My wife's family has been staying here during all of their OBX visits since the late 1960s. Of course, it was nearly new back then. My first experience here was in 2000, a few years after I married into the family. I chose a poolside room for the three of us because of the lower cost, and we stayed in pooside rooms on every subsequent summer visit (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010) until this summer. The poolside efficiencies are larger than the poolside standard rooms, so even if you don't plan to cook at all, its nice just to have the extra floorspace.
This summer we decided that it would be nice to have an upstairs oceanfront room to be closer to the rest of the family, and for the better views.

One of the nice things about this place is the "front porch" of the oceanfront rooms. Most hotels have small cramped balconies, accomodating 3-4 people at most. However, this porch allows the whole family (in this case 9 people, plus friends also staying there) to sit together on the same porch - in comfortable rocking chairs - where else can you get that?

The new owners have made some improvements, including to the pool, which the kids have always enjoyed after coming off the hot beach, and a new "jungle gym" type play area. There is new flooring on the upper porch, and the beds seem new or new-er. The beds in our oceanfront room here were actually a little better than those at the Fairfield Inn where we stayed on the way down! Hopefully the new owners will make enough money here to invest in continued future improvements. It seems to me that it would be extremely tempting to sell the lot for mega-bucks to a chain hotel company that would destroy it and build new. That would be a shame, for the family atmosphere would be mostly lost. Some of these older hotels need to survive.

If staying oceanfront, I suggest the upstairs rooms for the better view, and less foot traffic. Poolside, I suggest the efficiencies, even if you don't plan to cook. They are very convenient if your kids prefer the pool and play area rather than the beach.

Room Tip: Upstairs if ocenafront, efficiency if poolside.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank aaron c
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have been coming to Outer Banks Motor Lodge since 2009. We love it so much we come in Spring and Fall every year. The rates are so affordable and you are right on the beach, no dune to block your view! The rooms are large and spacious and CLEAN!!!!!!! The housekeeping staff are so friendly and they make you feel like they are truely glad you staying there. We always leave them a tip because they truely deserve it! OBML is continuously making improvements, the new deck they built on the oceanfront is just beautiful! I love it so much there that I always book my next vacation before we leave to go home. We have always stayed in an oceanfront efficiency rooms and you have everything you need, there is a beautiful pool on the courtside and you are in walking distance to some of the restaurants. They have rocking chairs on the oceanfront deck and we love watching the sunrise and we have seen dolphin jumping everytime we have been, we have seen a whale jump out of the water April 2010 and baby sea turtles make there journey from the nest to the ocean in Oct. 2010 on the beach next to the motel. We will keep coming back twice a year and more if we can possibly squeeze it in!!!! Oh, and the beds are fabulous, good quality sheets! I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NeednOBX
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Like many reviews say - don't expect 5-star luxury, Egyptian cotton, or spa treatments. Yes, it's old. Yes, it's budget. What you get is a great little place to call home for a fun filled beach vacation. Upon arrival, we found the room nicely cleaned and all fresh linens and towels. Kitchen area was clean. Everything worked from the lights to the stove. Bathroom was small, but adequate - showers were great. The room we had was stocked with a rather large 4-drawere dresser that was more than adequate to store our clothes.

The one down side is the top floor. The floors seem to be paper-thin, and wouldn't you know we had sumo wrestlers above us for most of our stay. Sleep was hard to come by, but somehow as I sat outside the room at 5am drinking my coffee and watching the ocean... all of that seemed to go away.

Hotel manager was very friendly as we had a package delivered. She was very helpful in delivering it to us, and seemed to know us personally.

Room Tip: Top floor is smoking, bottom floors are non-smoking. Beach front rooms are well worth it. Two step...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is our second trip to this motel. It is located right on the beach and close to stores and restaurants. Bsides the location, I was very impressed with its cleanliness. You can see the housekeping staff doing a very thorough job especially on the check-outs. Like any older beach motel there is some wear and tear, however. In our room I noticed some water damage on the ceiling and one wall.

Our room was one of the beachfront efficiencies. They also have courtside rooms available. Our efficiency was well equiped with adequate dishes and new pots and pans. There is a full size stove and a 3/4 size fridge. There is also a free guest laundy on site and a nice pool.

We will certainly return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RDH66
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you so much for posting your opinion about the Outer Banks Motor Lodge. There has been a change in management recently and we have so many projects ahead of us for not just this year but for the future! I'm very pleased to see you commented on our pool as that is one of the first things we improved. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

OK, it's on the beach...that part is great. But, the rooms are old and musty smelling. I grant you, the bedding and bathroom were clean, but that run down look just turns me off. I'm glad we were only there for one night. If you're just looking for a cheap place on the beach...this is it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple