“Not so "In" at the Inn”

Newark, Delaware
“Not so "In" at the Inn”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The "Not so good"

Musty moldy smell when you walk into the Inn. (Not so good for my allergies). When we got to the room, the bottom hinge of the door had no screws! Here's a good comment --->But management fixed it promptly. Musty smell in room as well. Beds were too hard for my liking. But then again I am not a hard & firm bed person. So this may be ok for you. After a night on the town and a not so good nights sleep, even with my own pillow & from being able to hear people come up the stairs, we stayed in a room next to the stairs & when waking up could hear people in hallway from inside the room. Not too sound proof or private feeling! We had a room with a king sized bed and it was kinda cramped (bulky dated furniture). Table in room was not sturdy. Not too many accessable electrical outlets that were "handy" local to the bed. The bathroom faucet when taking showers, would come out of the wall! Water pressure not the best and took time for water to get to the right temp. The second night I did not sleep on my pillow and woke up with a slight rash on my cheeks? I am not allergic to many things but that was a signifier to possible bug problem, as I am not allergic to washing soaps. Then again I don't know what they wash their linens in. Saw some gnats flying around in our room and we didn't have anything really sitting out, we had fresh fruit in our carryall bag but nothing that would have spoiled to get gnats. Complimentary breakfast was just little yogurts, mini bagels, toast, cereal, juice & coffee. Coffee was so-so. I had a yogurt and then we went to a local place called Stackem' High Pancakes which was good!

Here's the plus side of this hotel

Management was friendly & prompt on fixing the door. Overall clean & organized. Decor was a little dated but had some nice beachy scenes being that it was not on beachfront property. Flat screen tv where we retired for a late football game & other tv shows was nice for relaxing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Megan - I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve. I do apologize for the odor you seemed to encounter. Beach hotels can be a challenge to this regard however we will certainly look into this issue. I can assure you we are inspected monthly and consistently and preemptively treat to prevent any sort of bugs. We use all Proctor and Gamble cleaning products so our linen is washed in Tide. I am happy to hear that the maintenance staff was so responsive. I sincerely do apologize for the issues you encountered and promise to investigate and correct any issues that may present. We are continually striving to be the best hotel in this area so we hope you would consider us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The inn is average ..not worth paying more than 90 dollars.
There is a certain damp smell as one enters the corridor and the room,the building seems pretty older compared to many on the outer banks.
Location is good with the beach and stores around being very close by and a convenient shuttle for use.Staff is helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I sincerely apologize that you didn't seem to enjoy your stay. I appreciate the kind words with regard to the location and staff. We will certainly look into your concerns as it is our goal for every guest to have an unforgettable experience.
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is an older hotel. Our room smelled musty and had a faint urine odor. The carpet was old and stained. On the plus side the staff was helpful and friendly. Great location,close to the beach with convenient shuttle.

• Stayed September 2013
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Celia, I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Our rooms should never have a musty feel and the carpet is new as of last year. I will certainly make sure I check on the rooms to ensure this does not happen again. I sincerely apologize and hope that you would consider us in the future as this is not the norm for us.
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Nice spot close to everything you need especially if staying in the off season. Was there last weekend stayed two nights. They even let us check in early. Decent place for a nice price! Will probably be our October tradition!!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank MandyE0405
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind words and we certainly hope to see you again soon.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The reviews said this was one of the best on the Outer Banks NOT!!! Three floors no elevator, room smelled musty, carpet was dirty with stains, shower mat had mold on it, toilet was loose and move, soap film on the shower walls along with someone one black hair.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank richard n
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Richard I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay and encountered these issues. We typically receive very positive feedback and work very hard to correct mistakes when they do happen. I am not one to make any kind of excuses however do sincerely apologize. I will make it a point to trace back and find the room you were in and ensure any issues are corrected.
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here on October 6th and 7th and we just love it here,we were referred by Richard Sedlar,Chief engineer whom we met at another hotel we were staying in kitty hawk,we were going to stay longer at the other hotel,but we were just not happy there,it was problem after problem,so we had a problem with the plumbing in the bathroom and then we met Richard whom fixed the problem,but we still didn't want to stay,so he recommended The Outer banks Inn and told us about it so we went up there and looked at the room and the place and we were sold,he was very helpful and we checked in and glad we did,we felt very welcomed and just felt very comfortable there,Gail I believe that was her name(with glasses) was very friendly and just pleasent ,and Emily also and we had a tiny issue and the General manager Joshua was more than generous to help us.we even cooked out on the barbecue grill and was just nice,and the pool was clean and the beach was close by and the rates was very reasonable..the room was quiet and clean,and we will definetly be back,thank you all for making our stay here a great one!

Room Tip: the first floor was quiet as we thought.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill R
Bill I am so glad you were able to find our hotel and enjoyed your stay. I certainly remember you and am glad our staff made a good impression. We do hope you return soon.
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

The hubby and I stayed at the Outerbanks Inn for the last weekend in September. The front desk clerk was cheery and check in was a breeze. Our room was on the 1st floor and we entered from the side door. The flooring seemed a bit uneven to me as we proceeded to our room next to the ice machine. Immediately I thought red flag but that was not a concern. However, in the bathroom was a dead bug on the floor behind the door. I was annoyed but the hubby removed the bug and told me not to fret about it. We thoroughly checked the room, bed and sheets. They were clean so I felt at ease. The bathroom shower head was detachable so you can spray your body with the water. Our stay was pleasant and the Inn was conveniently located. We were able to drive to three lighthouses in one day. I will definitely stay at the Outerbanks Inn again. I would have given 5 stars but there are more renovations needed in my opinion.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovely4travel
I sincerely appreciate your feedback. Feedback only helps us improve. I am sorry for your discovery when first entering the room as this is never acceptable. I am pleased to hear the rooms was fresh and clean. We do work with a local company to help aid us in controlling pests however sometimes they slip through. I appreciate your understanding. We are planning more renovations as the owner likes to pick areas to improve each off season. I do hope you are able to return soon.