“Based on Customer Service”
Review of Outer Banks Inn

Outer Banks Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Incredible customer service! Our group stayed one night at the Outer Banks Inn. We checked out the following morning. Later that day, before leaving the island, I realized I had left my phone charger in our room. I called and the representative on duty around 1pm said they would check the room. They did, found my charger, and said it would be held at the front desk. When we had the opportunity to swing by, around 6pm, one of our group told me they had left their swim suit in the room along with a t-shirt. The representative was at the front desk when I arrived and immediately handed me my charger. When I asked her if any swim suit and shirt had been found, she checked the computer system. She checked the lost and found and found that it was locked. She let me back into the room to see if the items had been left in room. No success. She told me the lost and found box was locked and she did not have a key. After all this, she did not give up. We walked back to laundry together and she began to see if there would be a way to access lost and found. When I told her the group member said they had wrapped their suit in a towel, what happened next went "above and beyond" in my opinion. She then went over to the dirty laundry bag and commenced to dump the entire contents on the floor. She began to go through the towels one by one shaking them out by hand. Low and behold, half way through the towels, out popped the suit and shirt. I was amazed at her customer service, her diligence to produce a happy customer, and her pleasant, positive attitude throughout the search. I left feeling that for me as your customer, "it was truly all about me," which is what every customer should leave their hotel experience feeling. Needless to say, a great customer service experience!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

I am elated to hear that you enjoyed your staff and that the staff offered top notch service. I can't say enough about the staff as they are all dedicated and truly enjoy their job. We have an incentive program to reward those that go above and beyond and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed one night, April 17, 2013.
This is a small hotel, recently purchased & renovated by new owners. Our room was clean & quiet, everything worked just fine. The bed was very comfortable. The lobby/reception area is small but tidy. The laundry room is a good touch for those who need to wash a few things while on a trip. Even though the place is tucked in between nearby buildings, it is easy to get to with plenty of parking for the number of rooms. There is even an alternative access between the parking & streets. The beach is really close & has free parking, although in busier times I imagine the shuttle provided by the Inn would be useful, since the beach parking is limited in space. Free WiFi access was good.
We found the staff particularly friendly & helpful. I had been impressed with Emily when I phoned previous to our trip to make a reservation. The same Emily was at the desk to check us in when we arrived. My advice to management: try to keep Emily, she's a gem. We also spoke with the equally friendly manager (Josh, I think).
The included continental breakfast is somewhat limited, likely due to the overall small size of the hotel including the lobby area. I would recommend they try to add some fruit & yogurt for those who are on gluten free diets. There is no shared computer for Internet access, again likely due to space constraints. Then again, this hotel likely hosts many more vacation travelers than business people.
Once again, at the prices they charge I doubt you can beat the Outer Banks Inn as a stop on the Outer Banks.

Room Tip: I can only guess that rooms on the second floor above the lobby may be somewhat noisier, but have no...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the staff. Emily certainly does a marvelous job and is very much appreciated. I thank you for spending the time to tell us about your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were pleased with our Outer Banks Inn experience in early April, 2013. Sara (at the desk) when we checked in went the extra mile to help us find two restaurants that had been recommended at the Visitor Center...she even printed out the Google map directions! *~* The room (two double beds for three of us) had plenty of space, the wifi was quick and effortless, and we enjoyed the breakfast every day of our 3 morning stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel for value, location (so convenient!), and satisfaction. We walked to the beach very easily from the hotel, by the way. Very glad we stayed here.

Room Tip: We chose the third floor because it didn't bother us to haul the luggage up the stairs. Had a t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly share your comments with Sarah and the rest of the staff. I am blessed with a great team. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our stay at the Outer Banks Inn was great. The rooms were nice and clean and the beds so very comfy. We all had a good night's sleep. The staff was awesome..they went out of their way to make sure our stay was the best.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly share your comments with our staff and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice renovated hotel on the bypass in Kill Devil Hills near everything-public beach access, great restaurants, Wright's Memorial, Jockey Ridge, YMCA (free passes available at the front desk) and grocery stores. There is plenty of convenient parking. The outside is attractive and inviting with a large covered front porch with several wooden rocking chairs. The outdoor pool is small but adequate and clean. The interior of this older hotel is pleasant with attractive decor. The property both inside and outside shows attention to detail and pride in ownership.

A nice selection of breakfast items was available in the main lobby-milk, cold cereal, coffee, hot water for tea, bagels, yogurt and danish sweets. The king-sized bed was comfortable and linens and pillows were super soft. The large flat screen TV was nice, but there was not a blue ray/DVD player in the room. There also was no closet in the room, just a cubby to hang a few things. Two chairs, a small round table and a large dresser with mirror completed the room. The bathroom was small but adequate. A nice selection of Bath and Body Works products were in the room. The wifi was super fast. Housekeeping was attentive. Overall, a good stay.

**This is a three story hotel with no elevator. Also our king room was small, very small by OBX standards. (The manager said there are a few larger rooms that may be available upon request)

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mberank
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and certainly will pass along your kind words to the staff. We work hard to accommodate everyone's needs. When making a reservation we certainly encourage all our guests to let us know if they have special needs and we will do all we can to ensure their stay is memorable.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

WOW the Outer Banks Inn exceeded all my expectations about a 2 star hotel. I am not sure how these hotels get their stars, but from everything we saw this should be a much higher star rating. The property was super clean, the bed was extremely comfy, and the staff was AWESOME!!!
Thank you Emily,Ashley, and especially Gayle at the front desk for their awesome service, Jen our housekeeper went out of her way to keep us happy and me warm!!! Thanks Joshua for running such a great property!!! Job well done !!!
Anke Apperson and Chip Simms

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ankeinbumpass
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass along the kind words to the staff.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here the first week they were open. It was holiday weekend thus thought it would be impossible to find anything. Since this hotel was new and I was aware of the location as I remembered when it was being renovated, I book 2 rooms once of my children as well. We travel and vacation a great deal and was very pleased at this quaint hotel. No problems with parking on a holiday weekend as the cart took us and picked up from the beach (thus no walking and hauling all the kids beach things and chairs). The staff by far is one of the BEST on the beach!!! They were very accomodating, caring and nurturing to my children as well as to us. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel as we have stayed there many times since they opened. LOVE IT AND ONE OF FAVORITE HOTELS ON OBX.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ObieX B
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

I love reading reviews like this. We truly do want everyone to feel like family. Our staff works very hard day after day to accomplish this. I will be sure to share your kind words with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.