“Nice atmosphere but a bit pricey”

Chilli Peppers Coastal Grill
Cuisines: International
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice atmosphere but a bit pricey”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The atmosphere here is great...mexi-cali meets the NC coast with some reggae thrown in :) The beer was ice cold-big plus! We had Stumpy Point oysters and fried shrimp and scallops. I was excited about the oysters but let down when I tasted them. The shrimp and scallops were good and so was the coleslaw. The price was more than I expected but maybe that's just the going rate for the OBX??

Visited December 2013

Larksville, Pennsylvania, United States
“very underrated deserves way better”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

stopped here on a spur of the moment - caught it out of the side of the eye - hard to find a place to handle 9 without an hour or two wait at 7:30 PM.
Was very surprised at the roominess once inside the dinning room they had no touble fitting us. Waitstaff was great, Marie was great, all orders came out the way they were ordered and our selections were all over the menue from kids meals, to wings, to fish and chips.Would I recommend this to others? Yes I would! Service was good and the food was good; oh and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

• Visited August 2013
Bozeman, Montana
“Deserves WAY better rating - over the top good!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Needed a lunch stop leaving Hatteras -the parking lot looked good (lots of contractor/local license plates). Couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised - creative spicing and blending, along with caring ownership and (overworked) staff. Arrived 12:30 PM - they were slammed. We were offered a corner table in the dining room or cocktail table in bar - chose the latter for less noise. By nearby table chatter we heard locals raving to guests about the place. Service understandably slow because of the crowd, but hostess(es) very attentive on taking beverage order and keeping glasses filled (great iced tea - not instant!).

Menu had lots of great-sounding stuff - eclectic mix of seafood and some ribs/burgers. Really wanted to try the Cajun shrimp & grits, but ordered 2 versions of daily special (blackened rockfish with pineapple salsa, one sandwich meal, one plate). I asked for no rice on the "plate," but extra vegetables. Plate arrived with a MOUND of fresh, steamed veggies NOT overdone, and tasty rockfish. Partner's sandwich included fresh roll baked in separate bakery owned by proprietor - yummy! Her side was jalapeno potato salad - authoritative and absolutely delish, with REAL red potatoes.

Owner dropped by our table to ask how it was - we raved about creative, albeit aggressive, spicing, said he obviously cared about his product. He returned with lagniappes of house-made jerky and smoked tuna spread - we should've bought a quart of the tuna spread (almost all fish, spices - no fillers, and way tasty).

We visit OBX every year or two, and we'll DEFINITELY eat here again, though it's 20+ miles from where we stay.
[BTW, Trip Advisor should consolidate the reviews of this place with Chilli Peppers Restaurant - they're the same place.]

• Visited August 2013
NY
“Good eating”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Asked one of the locals where to eat and Chilli Pepper's was recommended. Wasn't sure what we were going to find but the menu had something for everyone. Staff was friendly. Food was delicious. Came out piping hot. Vegetables were all fresh as they grow them there. Atmosphere fun. Definitely would go back!

• Visited July 2013
Smithfield, VA
“Got the breakfast basics right!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First time for breakfast at Chilli Peppers for the wine queen and me. We've had lunch there a couple of times, and never considered that they might serve breakfast on weekends. Brunch, actually, from 9:00 to 3:00. The menu has a decent variety, but it's not your usual breakfast fare from my perspective. There are a lot of specialty combo's. So let me start here. The home fried potatoes were very good. To me, that means they were, however they did it, cooked enough. Nothing irks me more than a home fry that is still half raw. And the coffee had character. I've had enough watered down coffee, and theirs was perhaps too strongly flavored for some, I guess. But I loved it. The queen had cheesy grits with her breakfast, and she pronounced it good.

I usually steer clear of Mexican sounding dishes, but this is Chilli Peppers, after all. So I tried the breakfast tamale. It had was stuffed with scrambled eggs and sausage, with a dark chili gravy and salsa on top, with a side of lettuce with salsa and sour cream. For some reason, I was thinking that we might get toast, but we didn't. And that was OK. I left stuffed.

The wine queen had breakfast totillas, and they had eggs and bacon, etc in them. Very good, she proclaimed.

Each of our choices was $7.99 as I recall. Worth it at a beach venue.

Our waiter was a big burley guy with a geat sense of humor. That's a plus when having to deal with me early in the AM.

They also have a basic ordinary breakfast for $4.49 that consists of eggs, bacon, potatoes I think, and toast. I'll try that next time, probably. Yes, there will be a next time.

• Visited April 2013