We were a little bit early, but still able to check in, which was nice and convenient. The man at the front desk was very nice. We were in room 206, which felt like an attic room - very small and kind of dumpy. I've stayed at many different Days Inns, from great to awful. For comfort, I would rate the room a 2, for cleanliness, a 3.5, due to it feeling old and shabby. This hotel was listed as a 5-Sunburst hotel, but it definitely did not live up to that for me. The bed was lumpy and squeaky. The side of the room with the double beds had room for the beds and one small nightstand in between - the beds were right up against their respective side walls. I'm used to a little more room. The tv was positioned directly in front of just one of the beds, and didn't turn. We did have a window to the west and one to the east, which helped open the room up with some light. The room included a table and two chairs and a fridge/freezer/microwave. The window a/c worked pretty well, but it was still a bit humid inside (to be expected at the beach, I guess.) There was a frosted glass window in the bathroom which was nice. The walls were paper-thin - I could hear snoring next door, over the a/c. The a/c was kind of noisy, and at times would kick-on full blast sounding like a truck engine idling right in the room, which made it difficult to fall asleep if you are a light-sleeper like me. Other than those two things, it was pretty quiet. The location of the hotel was good for the area - right on the beach and close to shops and restaurants. Try to get a back room, as the front rooms look onto the parking lot and street - there were some rowdy renters in a house across street. Beach access was directly behind the hotel - very good. The pool was large and sunny. Could have been a little cooler water, and there was some scuzzy fluid floating in one corner the second day, but all in all, I enjoyed the pool. We didn't wake up in time for breakfast either day, but the breakfast room looked nice and clean. The lobby was nice as well. We had a do-not-disturb sign on the door, which they honored. The room entrance was off a porch/balcony which you could see the ocean from. There were chairs to sit on, but we didn't, as it was so hot and the chairs were kind of shabby. They did make good spots to spread wet swimsuits on.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a cheap room right on the beach with a national chain. It's probably best for people who just want some place to shower and sleep. It was clean enough, but not what I expected of a 5-Sunburst hotel. I probably would not stay here again, unless I got a much nicer room, and I would want to check it out first. I would recommend it to someone with low expectations for the accommodations, but the staff was good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nominated in 2009 by Days Inn as 1 of their 10 Finalists for Best Property of the Year (for a hotel with 75 rooms or less). Oceanfront property with expanded complimentary continental breakfast including waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt & more. All rooms and suites are smoke free. Afternoon refreshments served from 4-6 pm. Microwave/refrig, coffeemaker, & hi speed wireless internet available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur Outer Banks, NC
- Kill Devil Hills Days Inn