“Not great, not terrible”

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
lilllmcgil
“Not great, not terrible”
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We were a little bit early, but still able to check in, which was nice and convenient. The man at the front desk was very nice. We were in room 206, which felt like an attic room - very small and kind of dumpy. I've stayed at many different Days Inns, from great to awful. For comfort, I would rate the room a 2, for cleanliness, a 3.5, due to it feeling old and shabby. This hotel was listed as a 5-Sunburst hotel, but it definitely did not live up to that for me. The bed was lumpy and squeaky. The side of the room with the double beds had room for the beds and one small nightstand in between - the beds were right up against their respective side walls. I'm used to a little more room. The tv was positioned directly in front of just one of the beds, and didn't turn. We did have a window to the west and one to the east, which helped open the room up with some light. The room included a table and two chairs and a fridge/freezer/microwave. The window a/c worked pretty well, but it was still a bit humid inside (to be expected at the beach, I guess.) There was a frosted glass window in the bathroom which was nice. The walls were paper-thin - I could hear snoring next door, over the a/c. The a/c was kind of noisy, and at times would kick-on full blast sounding like a truck engine idling right in the room, which made it difficult to fall asleep if you are a light-sleeper like me. Other than those two things, it was pretty quiet. The location of the hotel was good for the area - right on the beach and close to shops and restaurants. Try to get a back room, as the front rooms look onto the parking lot and street - there were some rowdy renters in a house across street. Beach access was directly behind the hotel - very good. The pool was large and sunny. Could have been a little cooler water, and there was some scuzzy fluid floating in one corner the second day, but all in all, I enjoyed the pool. We didn't wake up in time for breakfast either day, but the breakfast room looked nice and clean. The lobby was nice as well. We had a do-not-disturb sign on the door, which they honored. The room entrance was off a porch/balcony which you could see the ocean from. There were chairs to sit on, but we didn't, as it was so hot and the chairs were kind of shabby. They did make good spots to spread wet swimsuits on.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a cheap room right on the beach with a national chain. It's probably best for people who just want some place to shower and sleep. It was clean enough, but not what I expected of a 5-Sunburst hotel. I probably would not stay here again, unless I got a much nicer room, and I would want to check it out first. I would recommend it to someone with low expectations for the accommodations, but the staff was good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DIManagement, Dir of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, August 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I will have the maintenance staff look at the air conditioner in room 206 as soon as the guests who are checked in check out. The Sunburst Award is given by Days Inn as their grading level for their franchisees. The highest one is a 5, and we are also a Chairman's Award Winning Days Inn which is higher than the 5 Sunburst for quality.

I'll check the beds in the room myself when the guests check out, as all of the mattresses are all new within the last 3 years. We do have larger suites as well as dunefront rooms and oceanview rooms which are a little more expensive throughout the year. The suites are about twice the size of the room type you were in this time (standard streetside room), and they feature a living room/kitchen area.

If you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, I hope that you will give us another chance and try one of the other room types--feel free to call me directly for reservations and more info.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
nonnahs34
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We spent 4 days at the Days Inn, it is in a great location - right on the beach and not too far from the local restaurants. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The continental breakfast was excellent and the cookies and lemonade in the afternoon were refreshing. This hotel is not new by any means but it is very modern, clean, and comfortable. We enjoyed sitting in the lobby on the comfy leather couches and chairs and just chatting. The staff was quite friendly and were kind enough to tell us about the history of the hotel and some of the storms that had swept through the area. And for you internet junkies the hotel has wireless in the lobby and a single PC that guests can use to get their fix. If you want to work out you can get passes to the local YMCA

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
DIManagement, Dir of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, August 17, 2009
Thank you for writing your review of our property on the Outer Banks! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As I have mentioned in the previous response to the other guest---you should visit when the fire is burning there in front of the couches and we have hot apple cider and fresh baked cookies.

We thank you for visiting with us and we do hope to see you another time. Please feel free to contact me directly for reservations should you be able to visit the Outer Banks again! Thanks--Tonia
Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Spent a couple of days with my husband and grandson. Very nice stay, staff is very helpful, the hotel is very clean & well taken care of, nice pool and very convenient location. We will continue to stay here when we go to the Outer Banks. This is not your typical cookie cutter chain motel, if you are familiar with the Nags Head/Outer Banks this motel retains that Nags Head southern charm.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your visiting with us at the Days Inn Oceanfront. I'm very pleased you had a great stay with us. I think many people do stay with us because our property is unlike any other on the beach since we are the longest, continuous running hotel on the Outer Banks.

We will look forward to seeing you again another time (you should visit when it gets cooler and the fireplace is going and we bake cookies in the afternoons)! Please feel free to contact us directly if you should want to visit again! Thank you--Tonia
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Convenient location right on the beach, very close to the Wright Brothers Memorial, and Avalon Pier in Kill Devil Hills, NC. I arrived early in the morning (around 9:30ish). Room was not ready, which was expected. However, the hotel staff knew that I was waiting to check-in. No special accommodations were made to prepare the room and it was 3:30 before I was notified that the room was available. (Normal check-in time is 4pm.) Fortunately, there is plenty to do and I went fishing off Avalon Pier - parking, equipment rental and bait was only $25 for the day. The room itself was ok - it was clean, but the tile was showing signs of wear with several grout lines missing. If there was a highlight, it was that the bed was soft and comfortable. Nightlife was a dud, but I was only there for one night and Saturday is "changeover day".

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
DIManagement, Dir of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Thank you for visiting with us at the Days Inn Oceanfront. We are sorry that you did have to wait to check in, but we do hand out parking passes and pool passes as well as take down your cell number to call our guests who do arrive prior to 4 pm. This way we don't hold up your day and you don't have to wait around but can go and have fun while waiting for check in.

I appreciate your bringing to our attention about the grout....Actually today I have gone through 22 of our rooms myself (getting ready for a big group to check in) for an inspection and did notice 1 or 2 rooms which did have some grout missing---so maintenance has been told of the issue.

The nightlife on the Outer Banks is not exactly like the nightlife in Myrtle Beach or Virginia Beach---we're a little more low-key here at this end of the world. There is a weekly paper that does come out which tells you what bands or playing every night and/or theater goings-on which can be very helpful.

We do hope that the next time you are able to visit the Outer Banks that you will give us another chance. Please feel free to contact us directly for reservations should you visit again! Thanks---Tonia
Port Haywood
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Staying at the Oceanfront Days Inn has always been a nice experience. The rooms are nice, a little small for four adults and all their belongings, but very clean. I wish they had queen beds instead of doubles and hooks on the bathroom door would help. ( Just a few suggestions.) The continental breakfast was nice and the area was very clean also. The lobby is so pretty with the woodwork. All the staff members were so friendly! It was raining when we arrived and we asked for an order of dry weather, and guess what - it stopped raining by the time we finished unpacking--had a great afternoon and the rest of the week! Will be back again!! Thanks for all you do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Hello to you in Beulahland! That's where a relative of mine resides as well since she's a Beulah too...but I digress. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our Days Inn Oceanfront on the Outer Banks.

We will share your lovely comments with our housekeeping and breakfast staff. It's always nice to be able to give them great feedback. Since some of our rooms with 2 double beds are a little on the smaller side (as noted in your comments) we aren't quite able to put 2 queens in them unfortunately. We do have another property which does have a few of those types of rooms about a mile north of us.

We hope that the next time you get to leave Beulahland and visit the Outer Banks that you'll please give us a call! Feel free to contact us directly for the best rate and we'll be happy to see you again----Thanks! Tonia
North Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My husband and I and my 2 young boys were just there July 7-10th and we were very satisfied with our stay. We were allowed to check in 2 hours early and enjoy ourselves right away. The staff is very friendly and the housekeepers are very polite and do a wonderful job cleaning the rooms and replenishing towels and soap. The continental breakfast was very adequate and the dining area was kept neat and clean. Our room was surprisingly small for 4 people + luggage but very clean and well maintained which is the most important aspect for me, but the weather was great and we didn't stay inside the room much anyway.

1 Thank jkac
DIManagement, Dir of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, July 15, 2009
Hello to a fellow North Carolinian! I'm happy that you and your family had a nice stay at the Wilbur (as we affectionately call the Days Inn Oceanfront).

We are not always able to check guests in early but we always say that if you arrive early feel free to check with us to see if your room is ready early. If not then we're happy to take your cell number and give you a call as soon as the room is cleaned.

I will share your kind words with the other staff. We appreciate your visiting with us and should you be able to visit the Outer Banks again please feel free to contact me (or any of us) directly for reservations!

North Carolina
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Room 204 is pretty worn out. I don't know if other rooms are newly redone, but 204 was not very nice. Beds very uncomfortable, lots of stains and wear on carpet, a/c had to be fiddled with to keep compressor running, bathroom had no fan, old fixtures, tub drained very slowly, moldings in bathrm thick w/dust, some broken tiles, bathroom door was badly damaged on bottom and didn't close. Wifi was so slow it was almost useless. Adirondacks outside room on shared balcony is one of the best features, too bad your view is of the parking lot mostly. Pool was nice. Beach access is great, just short sandy path and you are there. Outdoor shower was broken, inconvenient when you are sandy and salty. I understand that this is a beach motel and rooms take a beating, but I really expected a bit more. Room was reasonably clean, except for dusty moldings.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
DIManagement, Dir of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Days Inn Oceanfront. Tomorrow after check out, I will personally go and inspect room 204 so that all your concerns will be addressed.

I have been told by maintenance that they have installed a new a/c unit, cleaned the carpet, and that the outdoor shower has been fixed. I will have maintenace check the drain when they go up with me to the room. I will check all these things tomorrow.

Concerning the wireless internet, I will take my laptop to the room to see how that is working--we do have 24 hour tech support which can pinpoint any problem in the hotel if the wireless is slow as long as we are aware of it...so that will not be a problem as well.

As I'm not sure of your name, I'm not aware if any issues were given to the front desk. If they were we appreciate it---we do like to know of any issues that may arise while you are here so that we can try to take care of them to make your stay more comfortable.

We thank you for staying at our hotel while visiting the Outer Banks and if you are able to visit again, please contact me directly---I would be happy to make sure your next stay in a better one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner
Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hil...
#8 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!