WINNER WONDERLAND

“The room was a little too small for two adults and two...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

I got a decent price on a room so I booked a night. Staff is on point, room is clean. I could not see the ocean from my room, and that seemed misleading to have Oceanfront in the name, when it is only oceanfront by a technicality. I understand only dunes are in the way, and it is not a long walk. However, I have stayed in many rooms with an ocean view and I just expected one. I should have read more reviews so it is my fault for being in a hurry. The location is great if you are there and want to see the local attractions. I recommend walking through the gardens around town hall on the way the the Wright Brothers Memorial.

Hotel is dated, room was small, which kind of falls in line with the rest of the buildings in the area. Wireless internet was in and out, but all around slow. I happen to provide tech support for internet in vacation homes by profession, and I was just happy it worked at all. I did not try the data connection on the room phone.

If you are looking for beautiful beach scenery go north or south on the OBX.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank buoywonder
Butler, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

As soon as we walked in we knew we were in trouble and we decided to go out to dinner early so we could avoid being in the room. We stayed here one night and booked based on the crazy inaccurate reviews here. We only stayed out of necessity [we were renting in Corolla for the next week] and we even tried to cancel and stay somewhere else but they wouldn't let us or we'd be charged the full amount of the room. I don't know where these other reviewers stayed but it wasn't this hotel. The ONLY redeeming quality of the hotel is the location on the beach--although the oceanfront room we paid $213 for one night for did not have an oceanview--all you could see was the dunes. The hotel, lobby, rooms, bathrooms, grounds, etc. need a MAJOR overhaul (READ gut job)--I dont think a penny has been sunk back into updating or maintaining this place in the last 20-30 years! The room stunk of mildew (even after we cranked up the AC), I wore my shoes at all times unless I was in bed, the bathroom was attrocious-moldy, peeling wallpaper that covered the fact that there was no sheet rock behind it only a hole, we were afraid that we may bring home some unwanted guests based on the room so we kept our bag on the laminate desk and put our clothes we wore to bed in a plastic bag in the morning. We hardly got any sleep bc the bed was so uncomfortable (and the thought of possible critters) and we hightailed it out of there at 7:30am. Don't get me wrong we were not expecting a high end luxury hotel (not at that rate) and we have stayed in Marriott Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inns, and even other Days Inns so we are not new to budget hotels but this was gross. The owners need to put some money back into the hotel and completely gut and renovate it over the winter.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

3 Thank Sean D D
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014

My fiancé and I decided to take a retreat to the beach and revisit OBX. When I was doing my planning I wanted to choose something that was low on price and was close to a bunch of activities... and of course really close to the beach (who doesn't want that?!).

I stumbled upon the Kill Devil Hills Days Inn via a hotel and resort discounting website through MyCokeRewards.com's $50 hotel gift card reward. I didn't know what to expect with this hotel, but based on the pricing, amenities, and reading a handful of reviews on this specific hotel, I booked us a double room for a week for just under $400 (minus taxes and such). We got a basic double room that faced north. The room was tiny for a room that has two full sized beds in it. But the room was CLEAN. After having a few hotel blunders with other hotel chains that involved bugs and frogs, all I ask for now is that a room is clean and maintained. This hotel does a great job at cleaning and maintaining their rooms and hotel.

We indulged in many of the amenities of the hotel including afternoon cookies and lemonade (FREE) and the grill out back (also FREE) to cook dinners on. Also from our room it was a minute walk to the beach. It can't get much better than that! But it can... Not only is it beach front but this hotel is close to many area attractions. We ended up walking most places in an effort to save money and get some exercise from all the wonderful, fresh seafood we were eating and cool things like the memorial and the Outerbanks Brewing Station were in walking distance. The only thing with walking around town is that sidewalks are VERY limited. So walk with care!

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at the Days Inn Kill Devil Hills! The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful (with our frequent questions) and the hospitality crew did a great job with maintaining the hotels cleanliness and appearance. I would recommend this hotel to the budget conscious friends looking for an enjoyable and relaxing stay in the Outerbanks!

Room Tip: Since this specific hotel is fairly priced for where it's located, don't do what I did and g...