First a confession: I grew up on the Outer Banks in the '70's, '80's & '90's, before the boom that turned into something, in my mind, more akin to Virginia Beach than an eastern North Carolina barrier island. This hotel has been there since way before I moved there and used to have a sister property that was taken out by a waterspout in the late '70's. What it lacks in modern amenities, it makes up for in charm and hospitality. I stay here when I go down there frequently and for the money, wouldn't really stay anywhere else.
The main lobby has original wood paneling and floors, a big brick fireplace (which is lit on cool fall/winter nights and is the perfect place to sip the free hot cider and read a book) and the feel of old beach charm. The rooms, while more modern than the lobby, would be spare by current standards. They are not however uncomfortable or dated. I've stayed in many of the rooms - from the basic double bed one's above the lobby to the deluxe suites complete with a full kitchen. All of them have comfortable beds & pillows, decent linens, clean bathrooms and enough room to hold some beach gear & clothes for a short vacation. The suites are perfect if you stay longer or as an alternative to a cottage; there's an exterior balcony/walkway off these rooms and each room has a set of wood chairs outside the door.
The location is within walking distance of a local store (Stop N Shop) which has everything you need from deli sandwiches to beach chairs & health care needs. Duck Donuts, Slice Pizza and a bike store with beach cruiser rentals are also within easy reach & I highly recommend all of them.
The hotel staff is always friendly and ready to recommend restaurants or places to see. The beach in front of the hotel is great for lazying your day away staring at the ocean.
There's really no reason to stay at a modern hotel on the Banks when places like the Wilbur Wright (and several others) still purvey their special brand beach charm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nominated in 2009 by Days Inn as 1 of their 10 Finalists for Best Property of the Year (for a hotel with 75 rooms or less). Oceanfront property with expanded complimentary continental breakfast including waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt & more. All rooms and suites are smoke free. Afternoon refreshments served from 4-6 pm. Microwave/refrig, coffeemaker, & hi speed wireless internet available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur Outer Banks, NC
- Kill Devil Hills Days Inn