“Stayed one night, not terrible if you're short”

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The hotel doesn't offer other beds besides a full. My 6'3" fiance had to sleep crosswise just to get moderately comfortable, while I then got about an eighth of an inch to sleep on. Needless to say,. not my favorite hotel on Virginia Dare.

Very Clean (Very Small) rooms, lovely breakfast. My Mother and I decided the lobby of the hotel looked a bit more Door County Wisconsin than coastal Carolina (brick fireplace, leather wingbacks) but all in all a lovely (if small) hotel.

Room Tip: There are rooms facing the ocean! CALL EARLY!!!
1  Thank CharmedItaly2005
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. Normally our most economically priced rooms will be the smallest room size of a room with 1 queen bed. We have rooms with 1 queen, 1 king or 2 double beds and then we also have suites (1 large room with 2 double beds or a king bed & living room/kitchen) which are much bigger than our standard rooms.

I am pleased that you did have a nice stay and would be happy to help make reservations for one of our larger bed-sized rooms the next time you are able to visit the Outer Banks. Please feel free to call me and I would be happy to help make reservations.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed one night waiting for condo to open up. This is a historic hotel. They have done upgrades to make the stay more comfortable. Microwaves, Fridge, Safe. Yep the rooms are small for four, but it's on the beach, has a swimming pool and provides what I would say is an acceptable breakfast. Staff was friendly. The staff gave us very useful information on the area.

Room Tip: Stayed in a street front room for one night. If i had stayed longer I would have wanted a beach vi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

We thank you so much for staying with us prior to your real vacation starting! I'm glad that it started off on a good foot....We appreciate your lovely comments on your stay and hope that the next time you get to visit the Outer Banks that you'll stay with us again!

Thanks for visiting the Outer Banks! Tonia

Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was highly dissapointed in this hotel. Had never been to the Outer Banks and went by their website for the hotel. Award winning? Where? The continental breakfast was nothing to say the least. The rooms were horrible and don't get me talking about the bathroom. No storage, water went from hot to cold with no notice, very small. The price should be no more than $75.00 per night for the suite. The rooms are not oceanfront as the website leads you to believe. So for $250.00 a night we felt we were completely screwed. Had a bunch of yahoos who stayed up until 4:00 and had no privacy on our balcony. One big long balcony facing the parking lot. Will never stay here again and will tell everyone about this place.

2  Thank nancy1235

We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was not enjoyed more. We do have oceanfront rooms--they are on the 2nd floor facing the ocean, though a majority of rooms do not have an oceanview. If you would prefer to make reservtions for a room with a view, it is best to call the hotel directly. Customers have been misled or misunderstood several third party websites where they thought they were booking a room with a view but did not. If you are reserving your stay on the internet, if the line item description does not mention oceanview (for any hotel on the beach) then there would be no view. This is a good reason to follow up with the hotel if you book online just to make sure.

I am sorry that you had an issue with noise. If we had been alerted at the front desk we would have been happy to have called the room causing the issue and given them a warning. If a noise complaint should occur, our front desk knows they are to give 1 warning and after that the guest is asked to leave hotel for noncompliance.

I do hope that you were able to enjoy the Outer Banks during your trip and am sorry that your stay with us what not as expected.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

The staff at the Day's Inn Oceanfront in Kill Devil Hills, N.C. is very quick to respond to your requests and or questions. We also found them very helpful yet professional at doing their jobs.
While the hotel is quite dated it's 100 yards or less from Kill Devil Hill's beach directly behind the hotel which is convenient.
However the room we had was plagued with slow water drainage problems in the bathtub & sink, which they fixed.
In addition the water temperature of the shower fluctuated wildly between hot and cold making it sometimes painful to shower.
And it wasn't until our second day there that we discovered that there wasn't a remote for the tv, which we informed the desk of, yet were never offered one?
Perhaps that's because of the relaxed way I was requesting one, so I don't hold this fopah against the visibly hard working staff!
Frankly I'm a Best Western fan, but the Day's Inn Oceanfront was all I could find at the last minute, and though it has a few quirk's we might consider going back?

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor of the "swimming pool" side of this hotel, you'll g...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank millrosa
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Thank you for staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront for your stay while on the Outer Banks. I am sorry that you experienced issues during your stay with us but am pleased that our staff was able to remedy the issues. The hotel style is more like an inn instead of a hotel, so it's more of the traditional Olde Nags Head style as evidenced from our lobby pictures.

The 2nd floor rooms on the "pool side" are all suites which are 1 large room with 2 double beds and a living room/kitchen. However they are not always on the 2nd floor because the rooms underneath them on the 1st floor are also the same room type--so it may be on the 1st or 2nd floor. The only rooms that are guaranteed to be on the 2nd floor are the oceanview rooms (it will say "oceanview" in the line item description if you book on the internet) which are the rooms at the end facing the ocean.

We do hope that you are able to visit with us again the next time you visit the Outer Banks and please feel free to contact me directly for reservations!

Thanks---Tonia

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I chose this hotel b/c the room was advertised as a suite; unfortunately, the room was more of a studio style, no walls b/w sleeping area & kitchen/living area. The door from outside in worked about 50% of the time. There was something that resembled fleas I saw on more than one occasion and the pool walls had a hefty amount of algae. I expressed my concerns on more than 1 occasion, as did another guest with an attitude of they didn't see the issue or how it could be a problem. I would at least expect some care or concern on the staffs' part.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Dance1976

We do appreciate your staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront on the Outer Banks and your taking the time to write a review. I am sorry for any confusion as to our room types at our property. When guests make reservations with our property directly, we always mention that our suites are "1 large room with either 2 double beds or a king bed and a living room/kitchen" and that there is no separation between the living room and bedroom.

Our sister property is the property which has 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suites as designated in their room description type. This is why we always champion guests calling a property direct to make sure the room type that is booked is the one a guest actually wants---or as on our website if booking thru a different channel it is best to call the property to follow up to make sure that the room booked is the one that you did desire.

Unfortunately we can only go by the room code that is booked when it comes over on the reservation so that would be the room type a guest would have at check in. I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected but I would be happy to make reservations for your next stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom suite at our sister property.

Reviewed June 24, 2011

We loved this hotel mostly because of the staff, they really made you feel welcome and were very helpful about where to eat and things to do. The hotel was very very clean which is important to me. We had an inside room, they are very small but comfortable. We spent a lot of time on the rocking chairs in the front of the hotel. The beach view is great, and the pool is nice too. We were disappointed in the beach cleanliness, which is not the hotels fault, its public. I would stay here again just because of the staff.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are ok short walk to a view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our Days Inn Oceanfront. I am extremely pleased that our staff was able to make your stay that much more enjoyable! I will be sure to share your thoughts with the other staff members.

We hope that you are able to visit the Outer Banks again and we would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay the next time you can visit!

Thank you! Tonia

Reviewed June 4, 2011

The hotel is nice and clean and located directly on the beach, just like most of the hotels in the Outer Banks. I was extremely disappointed when we opened the door to our hotel room to see that it was smaller than the bedroom in our condo! My fiance could literally stretch his arms and legs from wall to wall. The tv was tiny too and couldn't even be placed across from the bed due to space issues. The staff was nice and accomodating, however I won't be staying here again - I'm sure I can find nicer and larger places in OBX for the same price or less.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront while on the Outer Banks. Our queen rooms are the smaller sized rooms in the hotel--our larger rooms are the rooms with 2 double beds or a king bed. As mentioned in earlier responses--as we are the longest, continuous running hotel on the Outer Banks, some of these rooms are on the smaller size because rooms were built to a smaller specification unlike those in a hotel built today.

Our oceanview rooms with 2 doubles, streetview rooms with a king, suites and dunefront rooms are larger in size and I'm sure one of those would be a great fit for your next stay. Also just an FYI: Please note that if you are making a reservation via the internet where you do not know the room type you are booking until the reservation is completed, more often than not the queen room is the room they are booking for you.

If you are able to visit again, I would be happy to help find a room type that would be more to your liking so please feel free to call me for reservations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!