“Do not get fooled with the internet site for this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur

Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Do not get fooled with the internet site for this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I was highly dissapointed in this hotel. Had never been to the Outer Banks and went by their website for the hotel. Award winning? Where? The continental breakfast was nothing to say the least. The rooms were horrible and don't get me talking about the bathroom. No storage, water went from hot to cold with no notice, very small. The price should be no more than $75.00 per night for the suite. The rooms are not oceanfront as the website leads you to believe. So for $250.00 a night we felt we were completely screwed. Had a bunch of yahoos who stayed up until 4:00 and had no privacy on our balcony. One big long balcony facing the parking lot. Will never stay here again and will tell everyone about this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nancy1235
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was not enjoyed more. We do have oceanfront rooms--they are on the 2nd floor facing the ocean, though a majority of rooms do not have an oceanview. If you would prefer to make reservtions for a room with a view, it is best to call the hotel directly. Customers have been misled or misunderstood several third party websites where they thought they were booking a room with a view but did not. If you are reserving your stay on the internet, if the line item description does not mention oceanview (for any hotel on the beach) then there would be no view. This is a good reason to follow up with the hotel if you book online just to make sure.

I am sorry that you had an issue with noise. If we had been alerted at the front desk we would have been happy to have called the room causing the issue and given them a warning. If a noise complaint should occur, our front desk knows they are to give 1 warning and after that the guest is asked to leave hotel for noncompliance.

I do hope that you were able to enjoy the Outer Banks during your trip and am sorry that your stay with us what not as expected.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

The staff at the Day's Inn Oceanfront in Kill Devil Hills, N.C. is very quick to respond to your requests and or questions. We also found them very helpful yet professional at doing their jobs.
While the hotel is quite dated it's 100 yards or less from Kill Devil Hill's beach directly behind the hotel which is convenient.
However the room we had was plagued with slow water drainage problems in the bathtub & sink, which they fixed.
In addition the water temperature of the shower fluctuated wildly between hot and cold making it sometimes painful to shower.
And it wasn't until our second day there that we discovered that there wasn't a remote for the tv, which we informed the desk of, yet were never offered one?
Perhaps that's because of the relaxed way I was requesting one, so I don't hold this fopah against the visibly hard working staff!
Frankly I'm a Best Western fan, but the Day's Inn Oceanfront was all I could find at the last minute, and though it has a few quirk's we might consider going back?

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor of the "swimming pool" side of this hotel, you'll g...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank millrosa
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank you for staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront for your stay while on the Outer Banks. I am sorry that you experienced issues during your stay with us but am pleased that our staff was able to remedy the issues. The hotel style is more like an inn instead of a hotel, so it's more of the traditional Olde Nags Head style as evidenced from our lobby pictures.

The 2nd floor rooms on the "pool side" are all suites which are 1 large room with 2 double beds and a living room/kitchen. However they are not always on the 2nd floor because the rooms underneath them on the 1st floor are also the same room type--so it may be on the 1st or 2nd floor. The only rooms that are guaranteed to be on the 2nd floor are the oceanview rooms (it will say "oceanview" in the line item description if you book on the internet) which are the rooms at the end facing the ocean.

We do hope that you are able to visit with us again the next time you visit the Outer Banks and please feel free to contact me directly for reservations!

Thanks---Tonia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

I chose this hotel b/c the room was advertised as a suite; unfortunately, the room was more of a studio style, no walls b/w sleeping area & kitchen/living area. The door from outside in worked about 50% of the time. There was something that resembled fleas I saw on more than one occasion and the pool walls had a hefty amount of algae. I expressed my concerns on more than 1 occasion, as did another guest with an attitude of they didn't see the issue or how it could be a problem. I would at least expect some care or concern on the staffs' part.

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Dance1976
We do appreciate your staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront on the Outer Banks and your taking the time to write a review. I am sorry for any confusion as to our room types at our property. When guests make reservations with our property directly, we always mention that our suites are "1 large room with either 2 double beds or a king bed and a living room/kitchen" and that there is no separation between the living room and bedroom.

Our sister property is the property which has 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom suites as designated in their room description type. This is why we always champion guests calling a property direct to make sure the room type that is booked is the one a guest actually wants---or as on our website if booking thru a different channel it is best to call the property to follow up to make sure that the room booked is the one that you did desire.

Unfortunately we can only go by the room code that is booked when it comes over on the reservation so that would be the room type a guest would have at check in. I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected but I would be happy to make reservations for your next stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom suite at our sister property.
McAllen, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

We loved this hotel mostly because of the staff, they really made you feel welcome and were very helpful about where to eat and things to do. The hotel was very very clean which is important to me. We had an inside room, they are very small but comfortable. We spent a lot of time on the rocking chairs in the front of the hotel. The beach view is great, and the pool is nice too. We were disappointed in the beach cleanliness, which is not the hotels fault, its public. I would stay here again just because of the staff.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are ok short walk to a view
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our Days Inn Oceanfront. I am extremely pleased that our staff was able to make your stay that much more enjoyable! I will be sure to share your thoughts with the other staff members.

We hope that you are able to visit the Outer Banks again and we would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay the next time you can visit!

Thank you! Tonia
VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

The hotel is nice and clean and located directly on the beach, just like most of the hotels in the Outer Banks. I was extremely disappointed when we opened the door to our hotel room to see that it was smaller than the bedroom in our condo! My fiance could literally stretch his arms and legs from wall to wall. The tv was tiny too and couldn't even be placed across from the bed due to space issues. The staff was nice and accomodating, however I won't be staying here again - I'm sure I can find nicer and larger places in OBX for the same price or less.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying at our Days Inn Oceanfront while on the Outer Banks. Our queen rooms are the smaller sized rooms in the hotel--our larger rooms are the rooms with 2 double beds or a king bed. As mentioned in earlier responses--as we are the longest, continuous running hotel on the Outer Banks, some of these rooms are on the smaller size because rooms were built to a smaller specification unlike those in a hotel built today.

Our oceanview rooms with 2 doubles, streetview rooms with a king, suites and dunefront rooms are larger in size and I'm sure one of those would be a great fit for your next stay. Also just an FYI: Please note that if you are making a reservation via the internet where you do not know the room type you are booking until the reservation is completed, more often than not the queen room is the room they are booking for you.

If you are able to visit again, I would be happy to help find a room type that would be more to your liking so please feel free to call me for reservations.

Ansonia, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

We stayed here for our second visit in June of 2011 and this time we got a dune view room so we could have easy access to the beach and have a view. The place is getting tired and in need of help. First of all the rugs need replacing. The room smelled musty like most motels and my suggestion for management is too replace the rugs with ceramic tile and then I think the musty odor will go away. The rug felt funky when you walked on it barefooted. The room itself was fairly clean but another suggestion is too move the bed away from the wall once in awhile and vaccuuum behind there and under the bed. It's very dusty behing the bed and nightstands and there was some paper behind there when we checked in. Just off the sidewalk in the dune view rooms there is a sandy area and it's loaded with cigarette butts that really aren't attractive to look at. I'm not a smoker and it seems a lot of smokers are nototius for throwing their butts anywhere, it's disgusting. There are recepticals for the butts but they are not fully being used. Management should post signs about disposing of the butts. When we sat outside all we would smell was the container for the cigarette butts and that wasn't pleasant. Wi-fi was great and free. The bed linens were clean. It also would be nice to see some flowers in planters in the back yard or boxes on the railings. I want this place to be great, it's a cool old motel and if the Days Inn compant put alittle money into the place, it could be a great place.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us again at our Days Inn on your return trip to the Outer Banks. I will be sharing your comments with our Executive Housekeeper concerning your stay. I am very sorry that your second stay was not as perfect as your first. I assure you that your first stay was more indicative of how stays normally are for our hotel regarding cleanliness and that the second stay was not the norm.

When you are able to visit the Outer Banks again, I would be happy to make reservations for your stay as I want to ensure that your next one is just as wonderful as the first.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

This was my second time at this hotel. Both times were extraordinary! The location couldn't be better, (I love the beach roads) and most of the staff makes you feel right at home! (Kayla was awesome! Joan we miss you already! Thanks for your genuine warmth & hospitality!)

The ocean is just steps from any room you visit, and the prices are great especially if you plan ahead. Being on vacation, I didn't plan on spending much time in the room as the ocean is my favorite place in the world! So coming into the room after swimming and eating at the local restaurants [make sure you stop at Awful Arthur's] to a clean room with plenty of towels and soaps, etc was very refreshing! The cleaning crew were very friendly and always around at about the same time to help with anything you need. Free continental breakfast was always fresh and the coffee and cream selection very appreciated!
Oh we cannot wait to return! Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront view on top floor if available
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shanonsmiles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,340 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,069 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!