“Oceanfront, clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Mukwonago, WI
“Oceanfront, clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

It is off season here, but we requested an ocean front room. The front desk clerk was very accommodating. The hotel is large and was pretty vacant . Our room was comfortable and had a nice size refrigerator and a microwave. The beds and bedding were comfortable and the room spacious and clean. Nothing fancy, but the price was right and breakfast is included.

Room Tip: The third floor gave a great view of the ocean!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary W
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank You very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your comments and input and look forward to being of service to you again. Safe Travels always.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The elevator wasn't working properly and we were on the 3rd floor. The walk-ways were icy and there was no attempt to clear them to make it less hazardous for the patrons. The seal to the door of the room was insufficient for keeping the cold air from blowing into the room - a lit candle held near the door would have been blown out. The soda and ice machines were mostly non-functioning. The water knob on the bath/shower was very difficult to turn off (almost impossible without a wrench) and it was running a steady stream when we checked into the room. The shower head needed cleaning so that the water will spray properly. The temperature differential on the heater was too great - the heater would heat several degrees beyond the desired temp and then the A/C fan would come on to cool it down. The heat would drop too low before coming back on. The A/C fan was very noisy. We finally figured out a setting that didn't cause the A/C to come on and we stayed cool most of the time for setting it that way. The breakfast had issues too but it was tolerable. The staff was uniformly nice and the view (which we basically paid an extra $30 for, was fantastic. The view was the redeeming aspect of the stay.

Room Tip: There is no "view" of the ocean because of the sand dunes, unless you pay extra for a top...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are sadden that your stay was disappointing. We have taken your comments to all of our staff so that we can review where we perhaps need to adjust the way we are doing something. Hopefully you allow us to redeem ourselves in the furture and we can be of service to you.

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We visited over Memorial Day weekend earlier this year, which was just before peak season rates started applying at most OBX hotels. Even so, it was slightly more expensive than we thought. The hotel is very conveniently located though, which makes it worthwhile because (as we later realized) it's important to be well located if you're spending just a weekend on the outer banks. It's different if you head out there for a full week with a large group for a relaxed getaway. But if you're only there for a few days and want to relax AND see the major attractions, Kill Devil Hills is just the right place to be, approximately mid-way down Virginia Dare Trail. The Wright Brothers monument is almost directly across the street from this hotel, and there are decent restaurants within a few miles' drive. We got a room on the first floor right next to the car park, and though not as neat as some other hotel rooms we've been in, it was comfortable and functional. Breakfast was decent, staff were friendly. Overall it's really the location that sells this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank You for taking the time to reivew us on TripAdvisor, we value your comments and input and hope that we will be able to of service to you in the near furture.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We visit the OBX in the off season, either spring or fall and always stay here at the Quality Inn. Secluded enough but yet close to everything. Clean rooms, friendly employees and a good value. The breakfast lacks for being advertised as a hot breakfast but for my wife and I that isn't a big deal. We will be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you comments and input and appreciate you allowing us to be of service to you. We look forward to see you again.
Pungo, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

To start off the first thing I need to say is our rooms were very clean. We booked two rooms for one night and they were oceanfront. The hotel staff was friendly and tried to make our stay a great one. This hotel has two computers that the guests can use in their lobby, along with a nice sitting area with a tv. They have a free breakfast that consists of hot waffles, biscuits and sausage gravy,cereal, yogurt, oatmeal,fruits, coffee, and juices. The only issue was that we had was we had to walk a little ways to get to our oceanfront room, we had to walk on an outside walkway and it was a little chilly. Keep that in mind for older guests or people that have trouble walking a little distance. They have a nice size outdoor pool and a walkway to the beach with some bench seating. That was a nice little extra. Overall I would stay at this hotel again. For coffee lovers, they have free coffee in the lobby at all times so that helped with our cold night. Also the oceanfront rooms have a private balcony and we were surprized to have an outdoor light on our balcony so we could sit out there and enjoy it.

Room Tip: I would recommend the 2nd or 3rd floor on the oceanfront. They have some first floor rooms on the oc...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jackie S, General Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you comments and input and appreciate you letting us be of service to you. Happy Travels and we hope to see you again very soon.
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We came during the off season. Booked a cheap room online and couldn't upgrade when we arrived. So we were on the first room facing the parking lot. Ask for an ocean view on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Just steps from the beach and close to shops and restaurants. Clean room. Bigger than expected. More of a motel than a hotel. Free breakfast with limited choices, but hey, free is free! Nothing fancy but a clean, comfortable room.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor facing the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and allowing us to be of service to you. Safe travels always and we hope to see you again.
Oakton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

After staying at the nearby "sister" - Choice Hotels brand Comfort Inn On The Ocean during the earlier Labor Day weekend of September ( granddaughter & I) for our first ever thrilling stay in The Outer Banks, I couldn't WAIT to get back to this jewel of a beach/ocean area again ! But, alas, all the rooms were booked If I recall correctly at the Comfort Inn, so after viewing the Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront on-line, it caught my attention as somewhere I'd like to go for a solo getaway visit this time. Would've taken my daughter & granddaughter, but they were invited to a baby shower. Needless to say, I would soon find out that it was GOOD they didn't accompany me ! Ok, so I'm new at reserving these "beachfront" hotel rooms, so I ask for a room w/a "beach view", of which the very nice & personable front desk lady "Taylor" reserved for me over the phone. The price & room sounded right from her description. I arrive on a Saturday evening, beautiful weather, and my first disappointment was that the hotel had horrible parking (not spacious)m and I noticed the rooms were directly on the outside. From the on-line pictures, it looked NOTHING as I recalled, pretty old & drab. As I tried to locate the entrance, I found it had no automatic sliding door (so convenient - even for solo customers with not necessarily alot of baggage, but weary from driving a ways). The entry way looked very small compared to how the view of the interior lobby on the Internet looked. The place was actually less than 1/2 the size in reality of what it looked like on-line ! More Hobbits, unite ! :) The seating area for the continental breakfast was SO tiny, and they only had one single ladies (w/1 toilet) room in the lobby...Well, I checked in with a gentleman by the name of Mr. W. Eason (?) William, I think. Who had the personality of a dry piece of Melba toast...I received my room cards, info & my Choice Rewards card & info I had applied for with Taylor when I reserved my room. "W. Eason" showed me this extravagant & highly confusing map of the hotel outlay. Figured I could find my room easily, how wrong I was. I assumed since I thought I reserved a "beach-view" room, it would be in the middle somewhere. How wrong I was, it was a corner room on the first floor - right next to the parking lot. My tiny (guess they had me confused with a hobbit ?) "patio view" was of the beach dune & part of the concrete driveway/road around the hotel. When I disappointingly inquired of what this type of room actually was - I was told it was a "dune" view room, which is also considered a "view" of the beach ! How this is possible, I have no clue, couldn't see anything but the tall beach grass & sand...She should have reserved me a room higher up, nonetheless I tried to make the best of it. However, the front carpet area of the refrigerator was sopping wet, so I guess it leaked when they had turned it off. I laid the hotel towels there. My bathroom was as drab as the room itself and to make matters worse, the shower had a mostly used bar of hotel soap on the shelf...ewww ! Reported to the staff & they promptly had the shower/tub cleaned, The next morning I tried to be excited as I walked toward the lobby for their "Continental Breakfast" - only to be sickened to the stomach by the smell of cigarettes that guests apparently smoked outside their rooms (no smoking in the rooms), cigarette butts & the disgusting sight of a HUGE dead (thank God) Palmetto/Waterbug cockroach lying on its back near a storage closet that reeked of some garbage odor as I waled past. Ugh ! Certainly made me lose any appetite I had. Soon I was to find out the breakfast was not worth partaking. They had NO grits (like the delicious ones I had previously at the sister Choice Hotel Comfort Inn On The Ocean), no meats (I think they had that chipped beef stuff you pour over biscuits - pass !) - such as bacon or sausage, no yogurt, no EGGS, for goodness sakes. Signed: NEVER again...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologize that we fell below your expectations. Your comments were the center of our last meeting, though some of them are items we cannot control or at least to an extend, we appreciate your input. Safe Travels always.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#4 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 stars 946 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#5 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 stars 996 reviews
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.5 of 5 stars 683 reviews
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
3.5 of 5 stars 2,092 reviews
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#9 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 stars 246 reviews
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront? Share your experiences!