“Quality Inn? More like Low Quality Inn!!!”

Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel was definitely not worth what we paid for it. At least it was right next to the beach and the front desk people were friendly, but those were probably the only good things about it. If I'm going to pay for a hotel like this, I should only have to pay a third of what I did. It's a really old, dirty place that requires serious cleaning; instead of having a view of the ocean, we had a view of old grass. There were also ants in the room, and the breakfast was below average. It definitely didn't help that we had to eat it using cheap plastic tableware. I've been to many places and hotels around the world, but this had to be the worst place I've ever stayed in for more than a night. From now on I'll never stay at a Quality Inn, ever again. I'm surprised this hotel is even on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We do appreciate your comments and input as they are important for us so we can see where we may improve. Thank You again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We decided to go down to the Outer Banks on the spur of the moment. This was one of the few hotels that were available. The location is good near a lot of the restaurants and stores. Check in is at 4:00 but we got in at noon and figured I would at least ask if I could check in early. She said I could Pre-Register and they took my number to call me if my room was done early. Once 4:00 rolled around and I had not received a phone call I figure I would go back. There was a waiting line, so I just got in line. The room was a ground floor unit, just a short walk to the pool and not to the beach.
The room was clean with no noticeable problems.
The hotel does offer a continental breakfast but we never went to it. The hotel is nothing special but for the price I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and input and the opportunity to be of service to you. Your feedback is important and is shared with our staff. Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stay 90% of the time in "Choice Hotels" when we travel and this one did not disappoint. The room was spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast each morning was well presented and fulfilled our needs. And the location was great! Right on the beach with showers on the beach access to wash the sand off before going back to the room. If you go to the outer banks for a few days this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jesbigfish

Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and the opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this motel in July 2013 while on vacation in the OBX .

Pros : Good location, friendly front desk staff . Surprisingly the bed sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. Pool. Beach access

Cons: Too expensive for what it is, cleanliness, poor management, old building in disrepair. Dirty motel rooms. We had to speak to 4 persons to solve a problem.

We are new members of this brand but we are reconsidering it. I would like to say right at the beginning that we are not picky people. We have been on the road a lot lately and we stayed in many different hotel brands. I have worked as a maid in different hotels in the past, I KNOW when it’s clean and when it’s not. This place is not.

When we checked in we took a look at our room and noticed how dirty the room was. There was mold everywhere in the room, on the ceiling, inside the picture frames, even on the hair dryer electrical cord. The smell was unbearable and it was probably not even healthy. We took the room as is on the first night but reported it to 2 different staff (front desk and cleaning acting manager). The next day, upon our return after dinner, we found the room being worst than the day before, it had not been cleaned at all. We then reported the situation to the night manager and offered him to take a look at our room so he could report it accurately. He didn’t mind looking at our room and just offered us another room. He was not interested hearing from us and rudely said: “are you taking this room?”. He couldn’t care less. The next morning, the cleaning manager blamed it on a language issue from her staff, saying that they understood to not clean our room! The cleaning staff was a bunch of probably underpaid foreign students that don’t seem to care. We were not impressed the way they managed the situation.

This place is an old building in disrepair. I understand this motel is by the ocean and of course it is humid, but I don’t think the lamp shade full of dust, (I could write my name on it and it’s probably still there) the filthy carpet, the stains on the walls, the drawers full of sand, the noisy a/c, and the dripping bathtub faucet have anything to do with the fact that it’s close from the ocean and humid. This place is poorly managed, and it’s obvious that the ownership doesn’t care.

This place doesn’t worth the money. There are too many options out there to book at this motel. Make yourself a favour and spend your money to a nicer place for your vacation! I would never go back and would NOT recommend to a friend. I don’t understand how AAA can recommend this place.

If you just want a place to crash after spending the day on the beach instead of camping and you don’t care living in a filthy place and breathing mold and paying for it, well this place is for you!

Room 334 and 330

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Mr. Gagnon, I want to Thank You for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I have also received your complaint from Choice Hotels International and will be investigating your claims and I will be making contact with you very soon.. Thank You again!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The place is suitable for sea lovers because this hotel is next to a public entrance to the beach.
The room was clean and the breakfast was good.
When we have been there, it was high season and the price was excessive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank You for taking the time to review us on Trip Adviosr. We are glad you had a good on the Outer Banks, the best beach for families. Thanks again and hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel was very clean and the location was perfect for dinning out and activities close by.The staff in the front office were very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 3rd floor and the views of the ocean were beautiful.The pool and the beach access were really easy to get to.we will definitely come back and stay again !!

• Stayed: August 2013
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank You very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments and input and look forward to being of service to you in the future :)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of our room and property after reading some of the reviews it had. It was well signed and easy to get to. The front lobby was nice, the breakfast dining room was inviting and had a very good selection of food ....and plenty of it. The room did not face the beach for a view (which we knew when we booked the room), but if you walked by the pool you are on the beach. Our room was on the ground floor, clean and well presented. The bathroom was clean, good hot water, and plenty of bath towels supplied. The Wi-Fi did not work at all. The only help the front desk could give us was to offer the use of their front lobby computers placed for guests.....which we did not end up using. We would not hesitate to stay there if we return to the area.

1  Thank Calvin G
Jackie S, Manager at Quality Inn Carolina Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank You for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your comments and input as well as the opportunity to be of service to you.