“Good value & ease for family reunion”

Captain George's Seafood Restaurant KDH
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2014

There were 17 in our family ranging from ages 13 to 82. The staff was very friendly & the chef personally walked my sisters through the buffet to help them understand what they could & couldn't eat based on their dietary restrictions. It was fun for everyone being a bit less formal with everyone getting up whenever they wanted to sample more of the buffet. The teenage nephews especially enjoyed gorging themselves on every type of seafood possible while the rest of us tried in vain to restrain ourselves from eating too much. I thought all the food was prepared well & was very fresh. I liked that they offered various seafood cooked many ways. My only complaint was one of the crabs I chose looked great but I never did find any meat! And I ate so much I couldn't fathom trying any desserts. They had a decent selection of wine that was well-priced. We really enjoyed this restaurant & I believe I more than ate my monies worth! Plus we watched a beautiful sunset over the Wright Bro's Memorial.

2  Thank Jo Ellen F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,089)

Reviewed July 4, 2014

My family didn't realize that Captain George's was a seafood buffet until we were standing in line at the restaurant. After some initial doubts (buffets aren't generally known for high-quality food, after all), we were pleasantly surprised once we were inside and had a plate full of food in front of us. The overall value at $32.00 per person for the dinner buffet is pretty reasonable considering all the options available and the quality of food was quite good. The atmosphere can be a bit noisy, but it's great for families and large parties.

2  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Mediocre food at best with all of the seafood tasting bland. The only reason to go here would be for all you can eat crab legs.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our waitress was very nice and the staff kept our table clean, but the quality of the food was terrible. The crab legs, scallops, shrimp and all of the other seafood we tried was overcooked and rubbery. I took a bite of Mahi-Mahi, not noticing there was a thick layer of burnt carbon on the bottom and had to spit it out. Prime rib was sub-par and the desserts were the normal buffet quality stuff. Even the more "exotic" desserts, like baklava and flan were made by cooks who obviously don't know how to prepare it properly. We were extremely disappointed. For $32 per person you should be able to leave satisfied, not ripped off.
Stay away unless your only purpose is to stuff yourself with large quantities of low quality food.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I were seated rather quickly due to being only a table of 2. The food was pretty decent! The only thing I didn't like is not having a prime rib carver or raw oysters on the buffet. They also cleverly place the big place at the salad bar only, so they'll fill up on salad, but not me! :) The crab legs were great and all the rest were pretty decent. It was far better than the other seafood buffet down the road but not as good as the one I go to in Ocean City, MD. But if I am back in OBX I will def go! I highly recommend it!