I'll start with the good.
Great location. Right on the water, not far from souvineir shops, restaurants, etc. I loved the decor, the comforters, the fish tank in the restaurant and lobby, etc. The staff was excellent! When I mentioned the major complaints, the night auditor was excellent. So excellent he gave the room away free!
They have LodgeNet installed, which provides easy access to pay per view movies, games, etc. I thought it was awsome, provided something to do in the evening without having to go back out.
Not so Good.
Sheets had burn holes in them. Bathroom was mildly moldy. "Oceanview" which costs extra, was actual a view of the dune, not the ocean. I would expect for $270 a night to have sheets that weren't burnt, and actually have a view of the ocean. Save the old sheets for off season when rooms are $50 a night!
Hotel is pet friendly, and that's obvious. It was appearant a previous guest had left their dog in the bathroom while they left for a day on the beach, and the dog had attempted an escape. The bathroom door was majorly chipped at the bottom, where the dog had been clawing at it.
The pay per view system they have setup (LodgeNet) provides easy access to porn in the room. I'm an adult, and was staying with another adult, so I wasn't concerned. But for families with children, it could be problamatic.
And it gets worse.
While watching tv with my family, nibbling at some chips, etc, I noticed the bag move. There was a huge roach crawling on the chip bag. I carefully put the bag in the trash bag, tied it up, verified the roach was contained, then took it to the hallway trashcan.
Not 10 minutes later, a much smaller roach made it's appearance, on the same end table as the other one. 2 roaches in 10 minutes. I went down and talked to the night auditor, and he was very understanding. He offered to comp the room, so it turned out ok. The room was supposed to be $270 including tax, and it turned out to only be $9.80 or so, for the pay per view movie. Even with the free room, we found it extremely difficult to sleep. It would have been worth the money to have gotten a good nights rest so I could enjoy the beach the next day.
A great location, great staff, but majorly in need of renovations. In all honesty, I would likely stay here again, but not by "choice". I manage a hotel myself, and because of this, I often don't know my schedule until the last minute, as you never know when staff may call in, etc. So when making literally last minute reservations, at a beach, on a busy weekend, you take what you can get. In those circumstances, I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront is a great place to relax and unwind while on your coastal vacation. This Ramada property is located directly on the beach! Centrally located (mile post 9 1/2) to shopping, historical sites, and sporting activities, our oceanfront hotel provides convenience to area attractions. Visit the Lost Colony, Elizabethan Gardens, Kitty Hawk, four area lighthouses, Roanoke Island Festival Park, or the Wright Brothers Memorial-site of man's first flight. Restaurant and Lounge and seasonal outdoor deck bar on property. Business center, free guest laundry and free access to local YMCA! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Kill Devil Hills Ramada
- Ramada Kill Devil Hills
- Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills