“Great if it suits you”

Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
New York City
“Great if it suits you”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

If you are not looking for a lavish hotel, this place is great. Breakfasts are simple, well priced, what you'd want in a menu and nicely cooked (something I don't take for granted.) Rooms are simple but clean. I would pay the bit extra for the ocean view. You can stay in your room/balcony and still get the ocean experience. The other side would be far less enjoyable. It overlooks unattractive surrounds.

They have a few nice amenities including vending on each hall, an outdoor bar, indoor pool etc. It's a Ramada, so don't expect the Hilton, but it's good if you are most interested in the beach and a comfortable and clean bed and breakfast. Good for families and couples.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdmNewYorkCity
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thanks for the feedback from your recent stay with us. OBX overall has a relaxed, laid back, stress free type of atmosphere. Our hotel mirrors that attitude in hopes of providing relaxation for all that visit with us. We appreciate your positive comments about our great ocean views, restaurant quality and cleanliness of guest rooms- we’ll be sure to share this with our team here at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

I came in on June 1st and was scheduled for departure on June 3rd. I had this stay reserved since Feb. I called a few weeks ago to double check on this room and was checking on another for some friends at that time the girl said they were putting me on the 5th floor. When I check in I found out I was on the 3rd floor, when I asked about what the girl said, she tells me there were no rooms available, but I could check on Saturday and move. I got to my room which was the last room down the hall. Go inside and it was horrible. The bed was as hard as a rock, the bathroom was very small and very hot. You could barely look out the window at the ocean, due to it being dirty. I am very dissatisfied with my stay, I checked out on Saturday and went to Comfort Inn and got a awesome view of the ocean. I will never stay at Ramada again nor will I ever recommend anyone to stay with Ramada again. I also noticed the room we got that was Oceanfront in the Ramada did not look anything like the pictures online. Also I noticed our room was smaller then others.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank bocophoto
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Our hotel has various room types and views and as you can imagine many of our guests have preferences as to where they would like stay. We do try our best to accommodate everyone’s wishes and manage according to arrival times and availability of rooms. We would like to discuss this with you again personally as we are sorry that you didn’t enjoy your time with us.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed for 1 night this past week. We found the room ok. It was big enough, and had a balcony (that overlooked the parking lot) and while it seemed clean enough, there was a bit of a smell. I'm not sure if that's the hotel itself or if its because its in a hot humid area.
We liked their outdoor space. There were nice seating areas, and we liked that it was right on the beach. We did use their indoor pool, which was basic but mostly clean. (room for inprovement - as there was some food on the table areas that had been left by previous guests).
We really liked how central this location was because there was so much to see and do near by. That's why we chose it in the first place.

No breakfast included. Also, we discovered on the reciept slipped under our door that they overcharged us on the room cost, so i had to go to the front desk and get that changed. No biggie, but i didn't like that the paper work wasn't processed properly in the first place.

I'm not sure if I would go back or not. I think we'd probably want to try other options first. But for a first time visit it was ok.

Room Tip: if you don't mind a view of the parking lot you can save extra on a room. Also, read your receip...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thanks for leaving comments about your recent stay with us. The indoor pool and expansive outdoor deck areas sure are a big hit with our guests and we’re glad that you enjoyed yourself. Although breakfast isn’t always included within every room rate, we do offer fabulous packages (some with breakfast) so be sure to check them out next time. We’d love for you to return again when you are back in the area.
Yorktown, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We spent 2 nights in May of '12 on the first floor and would definitely choose to stay here again. The location on the beach is perfect, the hotel has wonderful outdoor decks with plenty of chairs & my favorite - a 2-seater hammock swing overlooking the beach! The hotel staff & restaurant staff were professional & friendly. We enjoyed eating breakfast in the hotel restaurant. We were very satisfied with our room & amenities. The double room was a little tight for 4 people and our dog, but still met our needs very well. We found the beds to be very comfy. The convenience of having a door that led to the exterior was super convenient for early & late dog-walking business. It was fun talking to Sabrina the parrot. This was not a huge deal for us, but there could be more sound-proofing in the walls. This was a very enjoyable pre-summer get-away, and we appreciate having a hotel with all these amenities that also welcomes our family dog!

Room Tip: First floor rooms are reserved for pet owners & offer a convenient door to the outside for dog-w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TV7
Excellent! We love hearing how you brought the entire family with you and enjoyed our wonderful hotel. Having plenty of outdoor deck seating (with ocean views) is important and we’re glad you found your little tranquil get-away spot. Thanks for the great compliments on our Peppercorn restaurant, staff and many amenities. We try to make it your ‘home away from home’ and anticipate what you need plus fun things to do. Please stay in touch via Facebook and share some of your vacation photos with us.
Saluda, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

The accomodations were clean and comfortable. The price was reasonable, Room Service was great, and so was breakfast. All the staff were very friendly and professional. The head Waitress (She is Philipino, and I think her name is Ruth). Was very gracious. The bed was comfortable and food was good. Nice to be able to sit on a balcony and watch the ocean. We had a great time, and will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room. The upper floors provide an excellent view of the Atlantic!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Happy (belated) Mother’s Day! We are so glad that you decided to stay with us and that you enjoyed yourself on the private balcony with the oceanfront views. Rain or shine that’s a view you never get tired of seeing! Thanks for the nice compliments regarding both our staff and restaurant services- we’ll be sure to let them know! Please keep in touch via Facebook and visit us again soon….maybe to celebrate another holiday? 
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

I purchased the GroupOn special for this property because I have stayed in this hotel a few times before and was very happy with it. Honestly, I have always stayed in the oceanview rooms. I had initally purchased the GroupOn for an ocean front/view room but had decided I had wanted to bring my dog with me. The staff was very nice about letting me change my room to a pet room and just waiving the pet fee since there was a difference in price. They put us in room 126. The room was nice and very clean however, the first night (Fri) as I was walking my dog I got hit by a cigarette that came flying from an upper floor while I was walking my dog. The second night it rained beer and ice from the upper floors while I was sitting on my patio and splashed up on to me. Finally, to top the weekend off my mother's day got off to a great start when I got drenched by someone tossing water over their balcony as I was walking off of mine to walk the dog. At this point I was so angry I just packed up my stuff and decided to leave. I had planned on staying longer and getting breakfast at the restaurant and playing on the beach a little, but I was so upset that I could barely speak to the front desk person as angry as I was and I did not want to unleash all that on her as she did not deserve it. This whole weekend makes me sad as it was suposed to be my mother's day get away with my son and our dog. I dont think I could recommend this hotel any longer. To anyone staying on the bottom floor use caution.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jennifer r
We are grateful that you stayed with us on several occasions and for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that other guests were inconsiderate to you and affected your ‘hard earned’ Mother’s Day get-away as well as how you rated your overall experience with us. We’ll be sure to take corrective action in attempting to eliminate that in the future and do hope that you’ll come back and visit with us again.
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed from 05/12/12 to 05/14/12 on the first floor. We really enjoyed our stay, the staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, which is always important. I have to agree with another traveler that the rooms could use soundproofing because we had very loud neighbors.

1 Thank 703SherylS
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thanks for staying with us and we are thrilled that our staff was able to help you feel comfortable during your stay so that you could enjoy yourself. That’s our #1 priority! Your comments are very important to us and we value your input. We’d love for you to ‘like’ our Facebook page and keep in touch as we’re always doing fun things while offering great values. We hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,080 reviews

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!