“Fabulous beach-front location & amenities!”

Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We spent 2 nights in May of '12 on the first floor and would definitely choose to stay here again. The location on the beach is perfect, the hotel has wonderful outdoor decks with plenty of chairs & my favorite - a 2-seater hammock swing overlooking the beach! The hotel staff & restaurant staff were professional & friendly. We enjoyed eating breakfast in the hotel restaurant. We were very satisfied with our room & amenities. The double room was a little tight for 4 people and our dog, but still met our needs very well. We found the beds to be very comfy. The convenience of having a door that led to the exterior was super convenient for early & late dog-walking business. It was fun talking to Sabrina the parrot. This was not a huge deal for us, but there could be more sound-proofing in the walls. This was a very enjoyable pre-summer get-away, and we appreciate having a hotel with all these amenities that also welcomes our family dog!

Room Tip: First floor rooms are reserved for pet owners & offer a convenient door to the outside for dog-w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TV7
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Excellent! We love hearing how you brought the entire family with you and enjoyed our wonderful hotel. Having plenty of outdoor deck seating (with ocean views) is important and we’re glad you found your little tranquil get-away spot. Thanks for the great compliments on our Peppercorn restaurant, staff and many amenities. We try to make it your ‘home away from home’ and anticipate what you need plus fun things to do. Please stay in touch via Facebook and share some of your vacation photos with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed May 15, 2012

The accomodations were clean and comfortable. The price was reasonable, Room Service was great, and so was breakfast. All the staff were very friendly and professional. The head Waitress (She is Philipino, and I think her name is Ruth). Was very gracious. The bed was comfortable and food was good. Nice to be able to sit on a balcony and watch the ocean. We had a great time, and will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room. The upper floors provide an excellent view of the Atlantic!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Happy (belated) Mother’s Day! We are so glad that you decided to stay with us and that you enjoyed yourself on the private balcony with the oceanfront views. Rain or shine that’s a view you never get tired of seeing! Thanks for the nice compliments regarding both our staff and restaurant services- we’ll be sure to let them know! Please keep in touch via Facebook and visit us again soon….maybe to celebrate another holiday? 

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I purchased the GroupOn special for this property because I have stayed in this hotel a few times before and was very happy with it. Honestly, I have always stayed in the oceanview rooms. I had initally purchased the GroupOn for an ocean front/view room but had decided I had wanted to bring my dog with me. The staff was very nice about letting me change my room to a pet room and just waiving the pet fee since there was a difference in price. They put us in room 126. The room was nice and very clean however, the first night (Fri) as I was walking my dog I got hit by a cigarette that came flying from an upper floor while I was walking my dog. The second night it rained beer and ice from the upper floors while I was sitting on my patio and splashed up on to me. Finally, to top the weekend off my mother's day got off to a great start when I got drenched by someone tossing water over their balcony as I was walking off of mine to walk the dog. At this point I was so angry I just packed up my stuff and decided to leave. I had planned on staying longer and getting breakfast at the restaurant and playing on the beach a little, but I was so upset that I could barely speak to the front desk person as angry as I was and I did not want to unleash all that on her as she did not deserve it. This whole weekend makes me sad as it was suposed to be my mother's day get away with my son and our dog. I dont think I could recommend this hotel any longer. To anyone staying on the bottom floor use caution.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jennifer r

We are grateful that you stayed with us on several occasions and for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that other guests were inconsiderate to you and affected your ‘hard earned’ Mother’s Day get-away as well as how you rated your overall experience with us. We’ll be sure to take corrective action in attempting to eliminate that in the future and do hope that you’ll come back and visit with us again.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed from 05/12/12 to 05/14/12 on the first floor. We really enjoyed our stay, the staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, which is always important. I have to agree with another traveler that the rooms could use soundproofing because we had very loud neighbors.

1  Thank 703SherylS
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Thanks for staying with us and we are thrilled that our staff was able to help you feel comfortable during your stay so that you could enjoy yourself. That’s our #1 priority! Your comments are very important to us and we value your input. We’d love for you to ‘like’ our Facebook page and keep in touch as we’re always doing fun things while offering great values. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were greeted promptly and professionaly by a young man who was multi-tasking 4 phone calls, while checking-in 3 couples, all in under 5 minutes. He was impressive in handling the situation and had us all checked-in quickly. The bird, Sabrina, entertained us while waiting, so it was a good first impression for our visit. We booked a 4th flr oceanfront room, and the view from the balcony was excellent. The room was small, but had all amenities we needed. The bed was very comfortable. The only negative was the room could use some soundproofing. But other than the occasional loud neighbor, it was peaceful and relatively quiet. One thing I was most pleased with, the room and the hotel, were exceptionally clean. And, for an older beach hotel that gets alot of wear, it's very well maintained. It has kind of an 80's feel to the overall decor, but appears they're getting ready to do some remodeling in the lobby which should help. The hotel has a nice heated indoor pool and whirlpool area, with an extensive deck over the dune area leading down to the beach. Many chairs and chair swings on the deck to lounge and relax in. There's a playground with bike rack off to one side of the deck, and along the back of the hotel is a long separate boardwalk at the ground level for walking pets. Overall, above average for Ramada, and a nice beach hotel.

1  Thank usisles

Hello Kentucky friends! We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us and got to experience our relaxing pool and deck areas with the awesome ocean views. We’re sure you found it relaxing and hope you were able to see the dolphins swimming by. We do try to have fun things for everyone at our hotel in order to cater to all guest needs- families, couples, groups etc. Your observations are correct, and we are planning on some renovations in the near future which will continue to improve upon our guests experience with us. We hope to see you back again, and please keep in touch via Facebook.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Ramada Plaza during our first visit to the Outer Banks. It's a great location for day trips to the north and to the south. It took about an hour and a half to get down to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by. One thing that was a bit strange was that our room was not cleaned during our 2 night stay. Of course we were going to reuse our towels and didn't need the bedding changed, but mopping and vacuuming up the sand would've been nice. Great deck and boardwalk area right to the beach. Pool is INDOOR and there are lots of chairs and umbrellas you can drag down to the beach. EVERY staff member we passed greeted us with a friendly greeting (not a mandatory "hello").

1  Thank TootsieTravelista

Thanks for reviewing your stay at our hotel recently. We see that you travel often and appreciate the nice comments both about our hotel and the OBX area. Our staff tries hard to ensure your time with us is as comfortable as possible by having various amenities available for you (i.e.: chairs, umbrellas, free guest laundry, etc.) We do hope that you will return and visit us again soon, so keep in touch via Facebook until then!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

The Ramada Plaza has a great location - right on Nag's Head Beach. Most rooms on the oceanside have balconies with great views. But guestrooms, corridors and the lobby all need to be freshened and upgraded. The place just seems a bit worn around the edges and has an 80s feel.

The bed was very comfortable. Six pillows and extra towels were provided. We liked that! The room was very clean and featured a small refrigerator and microwave. A safe for valuables was present but did not work. However, our room had no flat-screen tv (just an old crt set) and the least reliable wifi I have ever encountered in a name-brand hotel. Most furnishing were worn, some drawers would not stay closed, and the corridors all had a very strong smell of cleaning agents. The walls seem to be made of paper. We could hear quite a bit of low-level noise from the rooms above and beside ours.

One thing that seemed somewhat odd to us is that the boardwalk to the beach could only be entered through the pool area or the restaurant. The pool door allowed no re-entry, so (unless someone left it ajar) the only way back was through the restaurant. Pretty poor design I think.

This could be a fine beach hotel. It just needs to be upgraded, freshened and improved.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanside room or you will have a balcony overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ComQuest
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Thanks for you candid response and for staying with us recently. We truly value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. We do have very comfortable beds, an awesome location, and various amenities to enjoy as you stated. We agree that its time for a hotel ‘refresh’ after hosting so many happy customers and we do have plans on beginning hotel renovations soon. We do hope that you’ll return back again and let us know how you like our new look.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!