“We loved it and will go back!”

Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Lake Katrine, New York
“We loved it and will go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel is very clean. Staff works around the clock cleaning and caring for the property. Oceanview room was awesome. Brought my 13yr old daughter & her friend. Was able to give them some freedom because of all the different hang out spots at the hotel. Several levels of decking, swings, picnic tables by swings, seating throughout the hotel. Very nice. They loved it. Very safe environment. Hotel has complimentary washer & dryer & they also supply liquid detergent. Even though they provide towels by the pool, we brought our own towels for the beach. Nice to be able to throw in the washer. Pool was clean but would get cloudy due to guests jumping in without using the outdoor shower & foot sprayer to clean off the sand from the beach. The fridge in the room worked great & was large enough to hold everything I needed. Milk, 3 bottles of soda, almost a whole case of bottled water and breakfast & lunch foods. There is a cabinet over the microwave for other foods as well. This is a pet friendly hotel which I was a little worried about, however they stay on the first floor and to my surprise the grounds were very clean. No sign of doggie droppings anywhere not even on the beach. You can rent beach chairs & umbrella's from the hotel. We brought our own chairs but rented the umbrella every day for $8.00. They even set it in the sand for you and come back for it when you are done. I would recommend getting one. The sand gets very very hot. There is a pizza place right across the street called American Pie, it was good and they also make homemade ice cream-very good too. The restaurant at the hotel makes great breakfast, good burgers & sandwiches. My husband thought the dinner portions were a bit small for the price. Awful Arthurs & The Western Sizzlin were good places to eat. The sun rises between 530 & 6 am. We watched it every morning. Beautiful. The sun sets on the bayside so you can not see that from this hotel. Bring binoculars if you have them. Dolphins swim up & down the shore line every day.Fun to watch. Hope this is helpful to some. I was very happy here and already planning to go back next summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ddeangel
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thanks so very much for your comprehensive description of our Ramada oceanfront hotel and all the surrounding fun things to see & do. It appears you and the family had a great time and we are thrilled that you will be coming back for more Outer Banks memories. We’ll be waiting for you! Please be sure to tell your friends about us and also become our “Fan” on Facebook to be sure to keep in touch.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed on the street side and it was way too noisy. There were also people coming off the elevator making noise until 2 in the morning.

Beach was great. We were also supposed to have adjoining rooms, but were three rooms apart.

• Stayed July 2011
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Thank you for response and candid feedback. We value what guests have to say and always try to improve our service and amenities. We are sorry that there was unusually high noise from the street/parking lot during your stay. Despite that, we hope you were able to enjoy our many oceanfront amenities (pool, sprawling deck sitting areas, deck bar & restaurant).
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

I was somewhat hesitant about staying here after reading some of the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Of course the bird in the lobby was there to greet us, pretty cool touch! Im not sure what odor people are talking about when they get to the lobby because I couldnt smell anything. Sure the lobby was a little dated but was still nice and the staff went out of their way to help us and other guests. We were on the 2nd level street view and the room was perfect. Comfy and clean. The cleaning staff cleaned the room daily and made sure everything was stocked. I especially like the fact that they leave a note on your bed about being environmentally friendly and its the guests option whether or not they want the sheets changed out each day. The free wi-fi was a little slow but when you have a hotel full of people using it that is to be expected. With all the people staying here I was expecting it to be loud but I barely heard any noise from our room. The pool was wonderful and was a great way to cool down after coming back from the beach. The different deck areas were great and the location right on the beach was fantastic. My only gripe would be that there isnt enough parking during the weekend. This is my 2nd night here and I only have 1 night left and I dont want to leave! If you are looking for a hotel right on the beach for a reasonable price this is the place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tonkietoots
We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself while at our hotel and took the time to submit a review. We take pride in making out guests feel comfortable and I was happy to hear that even upon your arrival “Sabrina” welcomed you in the lobby. I’m sure from your Oceanside room you noticed the beautiful beaches of the Outer Banks and all the wildlife in the area. We strive to help the environment (and our planet) by being eco-friendly as much as we can and we thank you for noticing our attempts! We would love to have to visit us again, so please ‘become a fan’ on our Facebook Page to keep in touch with all the specials and activities we have going on. Continue to have an awesome summer!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed at the Ramada over the 4th of July weekend. I loved the proximity to the beach. We paid a low $25/night pet fee for our dog. The room was clean upon arrival and house keeping was very accommodating when we would call for extra towels or to have the trash emptied. The hotel is a short drive to Harris Teeter. I highly recommend walk to Mama Kwans for dinner.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. We value your feedback and are happy we could may your stay more enjoyable. We believe pets are part of the family, so we’re glad you brought along your dog. Please come visit us again, and be sure to share a photo or two of your vacation with us on Facebook! Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

My family and I stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. This is an older facility but updated on several floors. Friendly staff, clean rooms and great views, if you're on an upper floor (we were on the fifth floor - highest), and you're on the ocean side. Recommend rooms away from the elevator for quieter experience. Only major gripe was the WiFi service, which was slow and unreliable. Speeds, when you could connect, were worse than dial-up.. On every device we tried. Maybe isolated to our floor, but frustrating, nonetheless.

Other than that, we had a great time. Even had fun watching a family of gray foxes and their new pups in the tall grass below our balcony.

Not a gripe with the hotel, but this area is dealing with the smoke from numerous peat fires to the southwest...we had two pretty clear days, but rest were smoky.

• Stayed July 2011
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to post comments about your experience while staying at our Ramada hotel. Free WiFi is definitely one of our amenities and we’ll be sure to check into the slow service that you referenced above. Wildlife both on land and sea is common in OBX, and we’re glad you and your family were able to enjoy watching it from your balcony.
Williamsburg, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife booked an 'unpublished' rate for an oceanfront room in Kitty Hawk for a 3-Star hotel. We would not find out the name of the hotel until after we paid $$$. The listing indicated Hampton or similar hotel. When we found out it was this Ramada Plaza hotel, my first instinct was no Ramada has ever been classified as a 3-star hotel. I was right to be concerned. Upon arrival to the hotel at 1:25 pm I decided to see if the room might be ready. I was told we had a room with a street view. Red flag right there. I told the front clerk we had booked an oceanfront room. They responded with the room wasn't ready and reiterated it was a street side room. He then said the room might be ready after 2pm, but it wasn't guaranteed until 4pm. I wasn't upset, but he seemed annoyed he had to tell me to wait. We decided to walk around and see the other amenities of this fine 3-star hotel. We were VERY disappointed. The other staff we came in contact with (bar and restaurant) were very nice and helpful, but the condition of the restaurant was truck stop caliber.

The SMELL was terrible. They were using some type of flowery air freshener which overwhelms you in the first few moments you enter the lobby. I know the smell well, it was to cover up old and musty smells of a lobby in dire need of updating. We didn't make it to the room. I had enough! We ate the cost of the two nights we paid and went and found a true 3-star hotel.

If you are looking for a 2.5 star, this is the perfect place! You can dress up a pig, but its still a pig!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank klauterbach
We have read your comments and despite not having stayed with us, thank you for the feedback. Our oceanfront location has a very resort/casual feel yet continually proves to be a great location for couples and families. If you had decided to stay we are confident you would have enjoyed your time and time with us.
Lenoir, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I stayed here w/my husband and two small children. The ocean is within walking distance, very close. I walked in and asked if they had rooms, and the girl at the desk quoted me $109/night, and we stayed for two nights. I was blown away at this price because several other hotels right next to it were charging $170 and above. We had stayed at a dump of a hotel that night before and it was more money than the Ramada. The room was very clean and the entire hotel looked tidy. They also have a nice indoor pool and hot tub and every morning there was always someone in there cleaning the floors and the morning we left someone was cleaning the hot tub. My husband and I agreed that if you do not know the area well that you are staying, always go w/ a chain hotel, a name that you know of.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
We are thrilled that you and your family spent some quality time with us and enjoyed all of our hotel amenities. Our location right on the beach sure does make it easy when traveling with kids and all of their toys/gear! We are family friendly and have plenty here to do to keep you busy. We certainly hope that you come back and visit us again. Follow us on Facebook to stay in touch and maybe share a family photo from your vacation! (RamadaPlazaNagsHeadBeach)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,143 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#2 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,079 reviews

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!