“Revisited This Hotel-Formerly Posted "Lousy Hotel"”

Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
“Revisited This Hotel-Formerly Posted "Lousy Hotel"”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

My first visit to this hotel was a TOTAL DISASTER, see my last post entitled, Lousy Hotel. After making this post, the management from this hotel posted back, apologizing and asking that we try it again. I was EXTREMELY cautious of going back! Long story short, when I called to make a reservation, I asked for someone from management and I was given the hotel manager, who said that we'd been sent a complimentary two night stay gift certificate but it had been returned due to a bad address. I was SHOCKED, let's face it, most companies today do NOT value their customers enough to do something like this. We went back, AFTER peak season, so while it was less crowded, it was MUCH better than our first visit. The hotel still had the same issues, older, noisy, BUT, they took care to put us in a room away from the elevator bank and since I'd been there before, my expectations were a little lower. Our trip was enjoyable!!

The management of this hotel went above and beyond to make the awful first trip we had there right.

I would return to this hotel, without the comped stay, I'd just do it outside of the "peak" beach season, provided I could get a room away from the elevators.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank tinakuykendall
RamadaPlazaNagsHead, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thanks again for letting us know about your visit and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself. There are certainly fluctuations in the number of guests that stay with us and it is typically based on seasonality and weather. Please let us know when you are returning and we’ll be sure to again arrange for the room location you prefer!
Terry Davenport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Check-in was a breeze. Everyone was extremely friendly. My room, ocean view, was very clean and in good condition. Great view from the balcony, which was also very clean. The restaurant, Peppercorn's, has great food and a pretty good lounge. All in all, a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
KittyHawktraveler, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear TravelinHokieFan,

Thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay at our property. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our team members. i will also make sure to let our restaurant staff know about your comments. Peppercorns is one of the few oceanview dining establishments left in the Outer Banks open all year round and we are glad you enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach in not too distant future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Our room was filthy. It had not been vacuumed, the glass tops were sticky with something that had not been wiped off and obviously had not had a deep cleaning in some time. What is it with hotels that they will not edge around the carpet from time to time? This room was white around the edges and when I moved furniture there was a layer of dirt and dust. I even found clothing left behind from the previous guest. I called the desk and they sent housekeeping immediately. They agreed the room was unacceptable but there was nowhere else to put us. Also, we were told we would be in a rennovated room and when I complained that we were not the employee at the front desk kept stating that we were indeed in a rennovated room. Once I cleaned the room it was comfortable enough to stay in. We were so disappointed though. The hotel did try to make it right. Housekeeping responded right away, they notifed the front desk and hefty discount was waiting for us when we checked out. The night management was awful (insisting we were in a rennovated room) but the day shift management came through. The location is excellent and had the room been accepted we would have loved it. We plan to try again when the rooms really are rennovated and ready. Maybe then we can check that we would recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
KittyHawktraveler, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Beechmeezer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property. I am sorry you ran into someone who proved to be unhelpful at the front desk. I can assure you that is not the standard at our hotel. Since your stay, we have been working on the issues you mentioned including finishing up renovations on our ground floor rooms.

We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest once again, please think about giving us another try on your next visit to the Outer Banks.

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed January 19, 2011

The restaurant, Peppercorns, has a great view. The hotel's beach is the best in the area!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank winecard
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This was an ok, average hotel. It was average in almost every capacity, which is fine with me. I don't expect anything luxurious from a standard hotel. We were at the Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach for the OBX marathon. The location was convenient for the race and right on the ocean. So far, sounds pretty good, but then my credit card statement came. We were charged $50 for "smoking in the room." Neither my husband or I smoke and in fact, I am allergic to cigarette smoke. When I think upon our trip to the hotel, I remember a strong smell of cigarette smoke in hallway outside of our room. I assumed there were smoking rooms on the floor. I'm an understanding person, so I dealt with the stench and tried to navigate the hallway quickly. Imagine my frustration when I get blamed for the stench I had to spend three days avoiding! I called the hotel and was told the GM would call back. Still waiting for that call.

My only other complaint was the slow internet speed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
RamadaServices, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear runningal,

Thank you so much for staying with us during the Outer Banks Marathon race.

That weekend is very special to us as alot of our staff members are runners as well. We feel very bad about the smoking incident and we hope it has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again in the future.

East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 4, 2010

My boyfriend and I (both 29 years old) traveled to the OBX w/our dog this past summer... We were both very apprehensive after reading the negative reviews on here, but we had to find somewhere pet friendly, so we figured we'd give it a shot.... We have both been to many 5 star all inclusives resorts in the US and other countries, so we have pretty high expectations. We can both honestly say that we enjoyed our stay at the Ramada... Granted, the lobby was out of date and a little "worn", but our room (on the first floor, sand dune side) was clean every day. We spent the majority of our time on the beach and the sound side w/our dog, and basically used the room as "somewhere to sleep"... the hotel was run down, but it was very clean, and that was most important to us. There is also a nice large deck area that we enjoyed in the morning and evening hours to relax and have a cup of coffee, and the access to the beach is only a few steps away.... also the staff was very friendly and accomodating, and we enjoyed meeting all of the other dogs/dog owners as well. We are returning to the OBX this summer, but have opted to rent a house instead. If something happens and we don't secure a house, we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heidi L
RamadaServices, Manager at Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Dear mintate5,

Thank you so much for staying with us during your visit to the Outer Banks. We are glad you decided to give us a try!

We appreciate your kind words and are pleased that you received friendly, courteous service from our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach in the future.

Front Office Manager
Virginia Beach
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Stayed at hotel while attending a conference. Hotel is dated, smells musty. When getting ready to go to sleep, my roommate and I checked the beds. Obviously, the sheets hadn't been changed. She found someone's sock in hers. I found black spots that looked like dead bugs in mine. Also, there were ants crawling on the nightstand. We called the front desk and a nice young man came up to change the sheets. We advised him that we wanted another room. He found one, checked it out for cleanliness, and helped us move. Nevertheless, neither one of us slept very well that night. Other people attending the conference also had problems with their rooms. The hotel did give us a credit for our room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Puddy1
Dear Puddy1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel. I apologize that you had a less than pleasant experience while in on your group trip. I can assure you that is not the standard at our hotel.

Please let me knwo if you are ever in the Outer Banks area again. We'd appreciate if you gave us another try. We'd like another chance to extend our hopitality to you.

Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk

Been to Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront? Share your experiences!