“Dirty Room”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I love the outer banks and one of the reasons I love the outer banks is the fact that it is a very pet friendly place. This was our first experience staying in a pet friendly hotel and it was bad. This room was so nasty, I had to go to the drugstore and get allergy medicine. The room looked like it had not been dusted all winter. I believe they had some old rooms that had never been renovated and those are the ones they made "pet rooms". I left comments at the front desk but never heard a word. The sheet would not stay on the beds and that scared me because the mattress did not look clean. I would never stay here again.
Greenville, NC

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank PirateFan94

Reviewed July 5, 2006

Room was small. Very close to the beach. Staff was not very knowledgable. They say that each room has wireless internet...NOT TRUE! You must go to the office to get the signal. Manager did give us a small credit but it was, "too little, too late" Find a different place.

2  Thank couponchix
Mechanicsville, VA
Reviewed June 27, 2006

A friend and I spent the weekend at this hotel in late March 2006. The rates were WONDERFUL, by that, I mean they were very cheap for college students. Because the rates were so low, our expectations of the hotel were also low. We were somewhat pleased with the whole package for the most part. We did Lysol the bathroom and brought flip flops to wear in the shower. There was also a very odd stain my comforter. I can't say much for the sheets because I never dared to look. I brought my own blanket and made a cacoon for myself to sleep in. Our balcony door was also a bit finicky as well, it didn't like to open and close when we wanted it opened or closed. The few members of the staff that I met were very nice and helpful. I didn't ask much of them and they didn't ask much of me. It worked.

Overall, I'd go again as just a cheap weekend trip with my friends. For the money, its worth it. Of course, I will be bringing the Lysol and my own blanket again, but hopefully I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed June 18, 2006

It was a good hotel. When my husband and I arrived, we were suppose to stay at the John Yancey Quality Inn, but we had to switch our rooms because they put us on the second floor and my husband could not climb the steps and they had no elevator. So they switched us to the Four Seasons hotel and it was really nice. The only problem is if you come out of the hotel about 4:00am in the morning, you will be attacked by lots of black cats. They were surrounding the cars, like they were waiting for us to feed them. They really need to take care of that problem.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chesepeke, VA
Reviewed June 10, 2006

stayed in there in june 06, i paid over a hundred dollars for a room....that was dirty n filled with sand....staff wasnt helpful at all......not the nicest people.....a very poor exscuse for a hotel.....

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Poquoson, Virginia
Reviewed May 24, 2006

We stayed at the John Yancy over the Easter weekend. The room was clean and adequate. The microwave and refrigerator in the room were a plus. The parking lot was packed but when we sat out on the balcony it was very quiet and seemed like we were the only people there.

The pool was very nice and clean and we enjoyed meeting people from other parts of the country.

I have stayed in four and five diamond hotels and this hotel is a AAA 2 diamond rated hotel and doesn't pretend to be anything else so don't expect more - but if you want a hotel room at a reasonable price by the ocean and in a great location this is a nice place to stay.

I left my wallet behind and the staff found it and kept it for me - very nice, friendly, honest people.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ohio
Reviewed May 21, 2006

great time here at this property. Staff very helpful room clean and well kept. My wife and I really enjoyed the quick ocean access and the staff is very knowlegable about surrounding area. Rate was great too compared to what other properties were charging. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!