“Great Hotel & Staff”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
“Great Hotel & Staff”
Reviewed May 21, 2006

great time here at this property. Staff very helpful room clean and well kept. My wife and I really enjoyed the quick ocean access and the staff is very knowlegable about surrounding area. Rate was great too compared to what other properties were charging. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed May 14, 2006

My wife and I have been staying at the John Yancey since our honeymoon March 1972 and I have been staying there since the mid to late 1960's. We went there for our 34th. anniversary and when we went to bed and I flipped the sheets over me they were full of sand. Now this is in the late winter so there was not a lot of beaching going on. We got into the other bed to sleep. As soon as we went to sleep the people in the next room were, banging, yelling, partying, etc. after about 1:30 AM my wife called and asked the front desk to handle it, it stopped about 10 minutes and they were back at it. Next morining at 8:30 I complained about the cleanliness and asked for the house keeper to clean our room, we returned at 1:30 PM and I made another complaint, we returned at 3:30 PM and I complained again, we returned at 5:00 PM still no cleaning done. It was 5:45 before the room was cleaned. I had to repair a light, replace a ceiling light cover, etc. Still I was not offered any refund or an apology. We will not be visiting them again, they have lost a 40 year customer! Mike

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Reviewed May 4, 2006

By far, the worst excuse for a hotel I have ever seen! A few friends and I stayed at the Quality Inn John Yancey for a weekend trip. We were disgusted when we walked in the room. There was a huge red juice stain on the mattress, not to mention hundreds of ants crawling all over the stain! The bathroom sink and shower liner had mold growing on it. Stains covered the carpet in all areas. The pool was GREEN! It smelled terribly of chlorine. It truly looked like it had not been maintained in days...weeks? It was so gross my friends and I truly couldn't stand to put our feet in. The terrible odor coming from the pool was so unbearable, we had to leave. We complained and on our last night they put us in another room that was just as gross as the first! We took several pictures of the room and wrote a letter to Choice Hotel Headquarters. I have never written a letter of complaint in my life -- this was the first one. I truly can not believe they rent rooms out to the public and charge what they do. I hope, since our visit, the hotel has been competely re-done. I highly recommend looking elsewhere..unless of course, you want ants on your mattress?

Stayed August 2003
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#10 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!