“Mostly good, but read the reviews to know what you are getting”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Let me start with the good. There's lots of good about this hotel. Good #1 Location= perfect! Right on the oceanfront, located in a pretty central spot for the OBX, easy to get to any of the things you might want to see. Loved being able to walk over the dune and be right on the beach! Good #2- pet friendly! Good #3 Staff is friendly and in a very genuine way. Good #4 Right across the street is my new favorite restaurant in OBX- the Kill Devil Grill. Good #5 Continental breakfast serves the purpose, and coffee available all day in the lobby. Good #6 Room was basic but bathroom was clean and sheets appeared clean. Good #7, for a motel, it had the amenities I expected like an ice machine and decent parking.
Next, the Bad and the Ugly: The Carpet, good lord the carpet! It was bad and ugly. It was filthy. I am no germophone but I seriously did not want to touch it with my bare feet. There was a large wad of black gum stuck to the carpet right in the center of the room. It made what was otherwise a clean and fresh room dingy and musty. I mean seriously - it makes a terrible first impression. You could tell from looking underneath the table the carpet was supposed to be tan with a pattern but in the heavy traffic areas it was so dirty it became essentially one color: dirt. Now I completely understand if they are in the process of renovation and new carpet is being phased into other rooms first for budgetary reasons. I get that. What I do not get is why, while the other rooms await renovation, no one thought to rent a carpet steamer to at least try to clean the heavy traffic areas just a little? I really think that effort alone would not cost very much, would not take too much time, and would make a huge difference to the overall feel of the room.
That being said, even though the carpet was really horrendous, we liked the hotel and would come back (after they assure us the carpet has been steamed!)

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
3  Thank Toonces76
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuing to renovate select rooms each year, which includes carpet replacement, interior work, painting, new drapes, etc. As a beach property, we do seasonally steam clean all carpets, typically in the spring. We pride ourselves on clean, affordable oceanfront rooms for our guests, and personalized guest attention. We strive to resolve any guest issues as they arise.

We do hope you can give us another opportunity to show you why the John Yancey Inn is a favorite Outer Banks beach motel, and has been for years.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

It was a long way for us to get there, but we was compltly satisfied about hotel. We had a sunny weekend on the beach full of relaxing atmosphere - thanx to hotel and stuff.
Breakfast was litlle to simple, but anyway it was not a reason for disappointment.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

What a great hotel--can't beat the location (right on the beach), kid-friendly and super nice and helpful staff. We plan to be regulars!! Great value for the location. They also have passes to a gym close by.

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I guess it's not terrible for the price we paid. Found the room on Priceline. I kind of booked it on accident, I was confused on the nAme your own price feature:) Friendly staff, we unknowingly started out in a smoking room and they gladly put us in a non-smoking room. In our opinion, the room doesn't seem fresh. Bathroom is kind of out dated. Wouldn't walk on the carpet barefooted. In all, if you're just looking for a place to lay your head at night, stay. If you're looking to be here for a while I would consider other lodging options.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Crob2009
edward22, Guest Relations Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Guest, we are sorry you did not have better experience at the John Yancey. We pride ourselves on offering vacationer affordable, clean, oceanfront accommodations and the friendliest staff on the beach. We have made strides over the last 3 years to improve the hotel, including renovations to Sea Building, Four Seasons, and select Main Building rooms. This offseason we continued carpet replacement in many of those rooms. Other updates include: upgraded HDTV, faster WiFi, and gut renovation the Upper Level rooms. Other upgrades including bathrooms are in future plans.

We do hope you give us another opportunity to show you why the John Yancey has been a favorite oceanfront hotel for vacationers for generations.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I vacation with our two kids every year on the Outer Banks. We stay at the John Yancey and have never had a problem with our service, the staff or our room. Linda, the manager, is so sweet and always knows which room we want when we call to make our reservations. We stay for a week and this hotel is priced well and fits in our budget. Its oceanfront (we always stay in the Sea Building) so that's a major plus! Keep up the great work and see you in 3 months!! :)

Room Tip: We always stay in the Sea Building as it is right on the beach! Great way to wake up, with the ocea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 325Ashley
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Over priced, smells, it was the only one that would take a pet. Do not stay here!

Lied about pricing until pushed. Offered a deal for pet and then changed when we wanted to stay an extra night.

beachfront was great but all the draw backs made the stay terrible

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank supsol
edward22, Front Office Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Sorry for you bad experience and have no record of your complaint. We go to great lengths to ensure every guest has a pleasant stay with us. We are continuing in room renovations that were begun in 2012 to the Four Seasons Building, and last season to the Sea Building. We are upgrading carpet in many rooms, upgraded our WiFi system, to name a few. We appreciate another opportunity to get your business back, and hope you will see why the John Yancey has been a family favorite for over 40 years.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I booked 2 nights paid in advance thru Expedia. We missed the first night and when we arrived for the second, we were told it was cancelled...even though it was paid for....argued with the rude manager lady (she seems to be in many of these reviews) and she actually told me I wasn't "her " customer, I was Expedia's customer and she didn't owe me anything. Now if this is your attitude, WHY IS YOUR PROPERTY LISTED WITH EXPEDIA?
So after waiting 30 minutes or so, I was told they were full and did not have any rooms left. I walked to the car, looked online and guess what?? rooms available, but they were $ 20.00 more than I paid...wow. she would rather have me go away mad and write reviews like this, then give me a room that is theoretically worth 20.00 more for the night?
I will never step foot in that place again and I recommend everyone avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank 174phillipm
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

We are sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We do highly recommend that guests make reservations DIRECTLY with us, rather than 3rd party booking engines. Our prices are better - we guarantee it!, and we are able to better accommodate specials requests, changes, and assign you to a specific room (oceanfront, oceanview, floor preference, etc). Given our oceanfront location, there are a wide range of room types (and thus price points) which can be confusing when booking on other sites.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you why the John Yancey Inn has been a favorite for Outer Banks vacationers for generations. We have many exciting things planned for this offseason as we continue to improve the guest experience.