Let me start with the good. There's lots of good about this hotel. Good #1 Location= perfect! Right on the oceanfront, located in a pretty central spot for the OBX, easy to get to any of the things you might want to see. Loved being able to walk over the dune and be right on the beach! Good #2- pet friendly! Good #3 Staff is friendly and in a very genuine way. Good #4 Right across the street is my new favorite restaurant in OBX- the Kill Devil Grill. Good #5 Continental breakfast serves the purpose, and coffee available all day in the lobby. Good #6 Room was basic but bathroom was clean and sheets appeared clean. Good #7, for a motel, it had the amenities I expected like an ice machine and decent parking.
Next, the Bad and the Ugly: The Carpet, good lord the carpet! It was bad and ugly. It was filthy. I am no germophone but I seriously did not want to touch it with my bare feet. There was a large wad of black gum stuck to the carpet right in the center of the room. It made what was otherwise a clean and fresh room dingy and musty. I mean seriously - it makes a terrible first impression. You could tell from looking underneath the table the carpet was supposed to be tan with a pattern but in the heavy traffic areas it was so dirty it became essentially one color: dirt. Now I completely understand if they are in the process of renovation and new carpet is being phased into other rooms first for budgetary reasons. I get that. What I do not get is why, while the other rooms await renovation, no one thought to rent a carpet steamer to at least try to clean the heavy traffic areas just a little? I really think that effort alone would not cost very much, would not take too much time, and would make a huge difference to the overall feel of the room.
That being said, even though the carpet was really horrendous, we liked the hotel and would come back (after they assure us the carpet has been steamed!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront motel in the heart of the Outer Banks, NC. Outdoor pool, dune deck, rooms with balconies, FREE breakfast, FREE Wi-Fi, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon and Orbitz so you can book your John Yancey Oceanfront Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- John Yancey Oceanfront Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- John Yancey Quality Inn
- Quality Inn Kill Devil Hills
- Kill Devil Hills Quality Inn
- John Yancey Oceanfront Inn Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills