“What a dump!”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Over priced, smells, it was the only one that would take a pet. Do not stay here!

Lied about pricing until pushed. Offered a deal for pet and then changed when we wanted to stay an extra night.

beachfront was great but all the draw backs made the stay terrible

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank supsol
edward22, Front Office Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Sorry for you bad experience and have no record of your complaint. We go to great lengths to ensure every guest has a pleasant stay with us. We are continuing in room renovations that were begun in 2012 to the Four Seasons Building, and last season to the Sea Building. We are upgrading carpet in many rooms, upgraded our WiFi system, to name a few. We appreciate another opportunity to get your business back, and hope you will see why the John Yancey has been a family favorite for over 40 years.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I booked 2 nights paid in advance thru Expedia. We missed the first night and when we arrived for the second, we were told it was cancelled...even though it was paid for....argued with the rude manager lady (she seems to be in many of these reviews) and she actually told me I wasn't "her " customer, I was Expedia's customer and she didn't owe me anything. Now if this is your attitude, WHY IS YOUR PROPERTY LISTED WITH EXPEDIA?
So after waiting 30 minutes or so, I was told they were full and did not have any rooms left. I walked to the car, looked online and guess what?? rooms available, but they were $ 20.00 more than I paid...wow. she would rather have me go away mad and write reviews like this, then give me a room that is theoretically worth 20.00 more for the night?
I will never step foot in that place again and I recommend everyone avoid it like the plague.

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank 174phillipm
edward22, Owner at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

We are sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We do highly recommend that guests make reservations DIRECTLY with us, rather than 3rd party booking engines. Our prices are better - we guarantee it!, and we are able to better accommodate specials requests, changes, and assign you to a specific room (oceanfront, oceanview, floor preference, etc). Given our oceanfront location, there are a wide range of room types (and thus price points) which can be confusing when booking on other sites.

We do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you why the John Yancey Inn has been a favorite for Outer Banks vacationers for generations. We have many exciting things planned for this offseason as we continue to improve the guest experience.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My experience with this hotel being understanding, is poor. I have had a very bad last two months. I was staying here Friday night and at the Sea Ranch Resort on Saturday. This all began about 6 weeks ago when I reserved this one nights stay. It is not the "IN SEASON" for hotels in the OBX. I had my Aunt die and they were acceptable only to changing the dates even though I didn't know how my 78 year old mom would take her sisters death over the next year or so. I called the first time just a few hours short of their 72 hour policy to cancel. They would only let me reschedule. Then the 2nd time I found out a week prior that due to new software and my company being so behind and that I would have to work that I needed to reschedule. The third time was now....this Friday the 15th. My ex-husband of 25 years passed suddenly and was buried last Saturday. We have two beautiful daughters together and I can not leave them as they are beside themselves. This too has devastated my mom a second time as my ex-husband was like a son to her. The Sea Ranch changed my date until Jan. 25 of next year. Families have things come up and I realize that policies are in place but MOST hotels have a heart and they could have looked up obituaries if they didn't believe me. I am stunned that under these circumstances that they could not work with me. They were quick to take my credit card this am, instead of my boyfriends card just to make a dime. I am hurt that people that are ALL children of God don't have hearts. Would you leave your two children after their fathers loss? He was only 52 and died unexpectedly with a heart attack and they never got to say goodbye. Would you leave your mom after her loss of her sister? If your boss told you that you must work due to circumstances out of your control wouldn't you work? I don't care about the $100.52 dollars, I just can't believe that they couldn't try to even be considerate enough to understand, policy or no policy. The Sea Ranch is very understanding and they don't have a 3 day policy during the fall. There are plenty of rooms anywhere this time of year. Don't be greedy...have a heart.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed November 11, 2013

If I would stay here again, I would try for another room. We checked in and were given the handicap room on the bottom floor by the road. The room was clean and smelled decent. Had a bit of a chlorine/bleach smell but not bad. The bed was comfortable and we had a fridge and microwave in the room which was very nice. There is also good access to the beach. Only other complaint is that the air/fan did not work very well. Very friendly staff at the front desk as well. Good place to stay for the price. Although, like I said, I would opt for another room with somewhat of a better view.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room with a view of the ocean and not the parking lot.
2  Thank amarie3877
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The plus's to this hotel are things that mostly involve the location, the beach access, view and pets allowed. It's off Va Dare and good location to stores, shops, eats , coffee etc too. Other than that this hotel is a 1970's throwback, mostly with non updated rooms, ours had a super small bathroom, no bathroom fan and no toilet lid. The linens are clean however and there was a flatscreen TV that worked in the beach side room we were in. The TV in the poolside room we were in was old and had a bad picture. The manager asked us to move rooms because they were cleaning off season and gave us a deal for moving, so we did, then wanted to stay and she was booked for a higher rate, so we left. Customer service skills are poor, obviously the manager wants to sell rooms at higher rates, off season.
The JY's got several different locations of rooms, some set up on a sand dune ocean view, others by the above ground pool and others in a taller building with floors. The room we stayed in by the pool really smelled when we walked in but then we moved rooms and it was better. The beds are way too soft also, and maybe older. They are renovating, so be picky which building/room you stay in. As for Pets the beach is great and they have a pet walking area, also a good beach lookout area. Probably good for families with kids and a pet.

Room Tip: If you can afford the dune beach front rooms try them first if you have to stay there with pets.
1  Thank Boon P
Reviewed October 25, 2013

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
A Worthwhile Detour
Jean A. Vachon
Outer Banks, North Carolina by route 158 was a bit out of our original trip plan but was worth the detour.
John Yancey Oceanfront Inn was halfway on the most eastern island known as the Outer Banks. This Inn is cheap in price but the rooms are acceptable. Wifi is weak. Coffee is available at the office at all times. Televesion is analog (old technology) Our room smelled of moisture probably due to the absence of ventilation in the bathroom. There were no screened windows or screened door because of the air conditioning unit. If you wanted to change the air in the room, you had to open the door and then the mosquitoes could also come in!
After a while though you get used to the damp smell and sleep was possible with the noisy air conditioning.
In October, the pool was closed. Access to the beach though was fantastic and easy.
Most of the houses on the islands are built on pillars which is probably preventive of flooding.
A lot of these properties and small cities specially on the second island are expensive and quite different architecturally.
When you drive to get to the Outer Banks the numerous long bridges over the water are surprising. You wonder why would people spend so much money to reach those islands. Probably because of the peace and quiet and because of easy access to exceptional beaches.
The Kill Devil Grill Restaurant across the street where we were councilled to go and eat was extra-good! My wife had half a chicken BBQ and I opted for the flounder stuffed with crab. Yummy, yummy! The strawberry shortcake for desert was exceptional! Service was fast and courteous. Quality for price was excellent!
All in all some advantages compensated for weaknesses in luxury, but the price was low.
Thus, the Continental breakfast was great.
For a short visit, the John Yancey Oceanfront Inn is a proper stop.
The next day we drove to furthermost north part of the outermost island. Then the road stops and the ocean and sand are visible. If you want to go further to see the wild horses on the sand banks you have to pay 50$/person for a 2 ½ hours minimum ride by jeep to see the wild horses.
We didn’t go so far but the roadside scenery was wonderful and worthwhile!

Room Tip: With view on the ocean. Check for proper ventilation in bathroom...
1  Thank lapinjano
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed in Room 508.. beach front room with walk out beach access. It was so great... Loved it Loved it Loved it!!! The great part about this place is that they are very pet friendly! Yes, lots of other places say they are pet friendly, then the only rooms that are available if you have a pet are not beach front. We looked a lot before deciding on trying our luck here. The reservation was easy and we were assured of a beach front room. When we arrived, a little bit before check in on a Friday afternoon, our room was ready and they let us check in... Run out our patio door and hit the beach. We were so excited, we left one of our bags out in the hallway.. :) Staff was friendly, they had a nice little breakfast set up each morning with waffles, juice, Danish, bagels, etc. Would definitely do it again!

Room Tip: Sea building Ground floor.. just walk out on the beach from your room directly
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple