“Don't get "burned". Stay elsewhere.”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Norfolk, Virginia
“Don't get "burned". Stay elsewhere.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

FLASHBACK TO 2012: We stayed here in the Sea Bldg. before the renovations were done. During our 4 night stay we had major issues with the water temp. in the shower. After setting the water temperature, it would suddenly become scalding hot then turn cold! After the second occurrence we called the front dest to report it. They sent a guy up. He ran the water from the tub spout (not the shower) and said he had no fluctuation. The next day it happened again. We called the desk. They send a guy up (different guy). He runs the shower and finds what we're saying is correct. He says he'll check the water heater. Never calls or returns with a report. Later that day, while taking a shower it happens AGAIN! Getting burned by hot water is painful! By now we aren't even calling the front desk becasue we know nothing will be done. Day 3, Sunday -we leave for a few hours and when we come back there is NO water! It's turned off! No message on our door, no message on our mashine. Call the desk, water heater went out and they're trying to find someone to come replace it. Imagine that! Three days of water troubles to warn them there's a problem but they wait for the heater to totally fail before calling a real professional!!
Now to July 2013; We see they have completed major renovations in the Sea Bldg. WOW! We're thinking this will be so much better! NOT. The water problem still exists!!
This hotel is overpriced and dangerous. Especially if you have children. The renovation was simply replacement of the second floor "deck" which was rotten and severely overdue for replacement! Stay somewhere else - even it costs a little more.

Room Tip: Do not take a room in the Sea building!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank headhoser
edward22, Guest Relations Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Sorry for your troubles. All Sea Building rooms were renovated, including walls, new tile flooring, new carpets, new LCD TVs, new furniture, new HVACs, new 6' sliding glass doors plus the new decks that you mentioned. Per Health dept, we must maintain hot water within a strict range, and we endeavor to make sure these is enough for all guests but not too hot. We have in fact replaced several energy efficient hot water heaters in the past year.

We have plans to do additional updates to the corridor next year, plus continue renovations to additional rooms. We have gone to lengths to make this Outer Banks hotel favorite a fun, friendly, and affordable destination for families as it has been for years. We do hope you will given us another opportunity to show you that!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My family of 4 decided to head to the Outer Banks 1 night before we started our week long stay in a rental home. We found the John Yancey to be exactly what we expected after reading reviews. We asked for a room in the newly renovated building, which we got. This oceanfront hotel is a Nags Head "oldie but goodie" . The staff was very pleasant and accommodating, we asked for a roll away, which they brought immediately, the room was clean and new decor simple. I would stay here again for a night or 2. Rates are good, breakfast is included. (Breakfast was fine for our teenagers, but mostly a carb fest.)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the renovated building. They will eventually have them all renovated.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PeacefulSpirit4
West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

First of all, this is an older hotel directly on the beach. Staff was very nice and it suited the purpose of just having a place to sleep and was only $149.00/night so it was priced far below alot of the local hotels I called when I checked rates. It seems NC doesn't allow smoking in their hotel rooms, so I was excited to hear I had actually obtained a Smoking Room. It turns out that it meant I was allowed to smoke outside of my room and had a bucket filled with sand for an ashtray. The hotel was rundown and the room was not too clean. The drawers in the nightstand,etc. smelled like they had been in a flood. The only "nice"section of the hotel was the recently refurbished Sea Building. All in all, great location and price, but otherwise is terrible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EBPS

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

taneytown, md
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Tried to take a trip without the kids since we do not go on date nights throughout the year but unfortunately I wish we did not book the John Yancey. Our one time a year to be adults was less than relaxing and we felt disgusting because the room was gross. The front desk was very nice when we arrived. Immediately after entering our room I had to ask the front desk to clean the food out of the microwave, the food off of the counter with the coffee maker and clean the food off of the wall. The did that. I then tried to unpack into the drawers available. 1 drawer wouldn't open. the second drawer opened but I immediately had to close the drawer because the smell of mold rushed out of it. So we lived out of a suitcase instead which I find annoying. Went to use the restroom and I found dried urine on the toilet and what I can only assume was pubic hair. So I am so annoyed at this point that I just cleaned the toilet my self. The shower had a lot of mold in the caulked areas and black mold on the grout which when stepped on comes off onto your feet. So we had to clean that before showering. Through out our stay we found someone else's food on the floor from time to time. I know it was someone else's because it was in the shape of Chex Mix which we did not bring with us. One of the pillows had what looked like a blood stain on it so we took the case off and left it on the bed on top of the pillow hoping the maid would understand to put on a new pillowcase since we would be out for the day. After the bed was maid the same pillowcase was back on the pillow. There is a little sign in the room that says the beds get new sheets everyday but since the same pillow case was on the pillow I can only assume the beds do not get new sheets. It rained for 2 days on our trip and we were so disgusted by the room and so uncomfortable being in it that we made up places to go even though all we wanted to do was read or relax. The coffee pot was broken and we told the front desk right away after our first night. We stayed for 4 nights and finally got a working coffee pot on our last evening at the hotel.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, do not stay at the John Yancey!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crystal m
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the most disgusting hotel I have ever set foot in. Of the 2 room keys, only 1 worked. Not a huge problem, but once the door opened.... OMFG. The smell. Kind of ocean, funk and febreeze. Mixed with more funk. The carpet rippled like the ocean. Not a positive thing. I didn't allow my kids to take off their shoes, and now we're home they have flea bites on their ankles so I guess that was pointless. The bathroom was filthy with peeling laminate on the vanity, dirt piles behind the door, no water pressure and a toilet that barely managed to flush 2 sheets of toilet paper. The beds were surprisingly comfortable but the sheets didn't smell clean - like old lady perfume, probably a previous guest, I'm assuming the owner of the brown wavy hair in the sheets that I noticed the following morning. The bed had various yellow stains that I don't want to think about. All through the night I could hear other people's trips to the bathroom in great detail as the walks were so thin, and then every alarm clock from 5.30 to 8.
When we got up the next morning, my husband's shoes were soaking wet, as was the carpet. That explains the smell - and all the clothes I'd laid out over the chairs the night before were slightly damp. The fridge was around 1 degree below room temperature. Furniture old and mismatched, walls chopped with missing paint, the plastic bucket directly outside the door full of sand, bugs and old cigarette butts should have told me "RUN, don't walk, and never look back!" If there had been other hotels available, trust me we would have left this hellhole. But as there weren't and the alternative was sleeping in the car with 3 little boys including a 7 week old, we stayed and hated every second of it.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank EllieMachado
Parma, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

First off, the location is great. If you are single/college students just looking for a place to lay your head, this will work for you. However, I was traveling w/my daughter and was hoping for at least bit more considering the star rating this place is rated.

As soon as I arrived, the gentleman checking myself and my daughter in acted as though he really couldn't care less seeing as his buddy was behind the counter jerking around w/him. We got some convoluted directions as to where to find the complimentary breakfast in the morning and then we were sent on our way.

As soon as I opened the door to our room, we were overcome w/the stench of seawater. I understand the place probably gets flooded pretty often (we were on the 1st floor), but the carpet was a nasty and stained mess. I really didn't wish to walk on it w/bare feet. The bedspread had some small stains on it, but I have unfortunately seen worse. Overall the cleaning girls did the best they could w/what they had to work with, but my main complaint is the star rating. I certainly wouldn't rate it higher than a 2 and that is a stretch.

The location is great and on the beach, the complimentary breakfast was good, but the accomodations were less than I expected...old, smelly and dingy. I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone above a college kid just looking for someplace to crash

Room Tip: Maybe stay off of the first floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Criz66
edward22, Guest Relations Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We at the John Yancey pride ourselves on offering clean, affordable oceanfront accommodations, and first-class guest service. We are sorry your stay didn't meet your expectations, and do hope you will come back and give us another opportunity. We have gone to great lengths- and expense- to renovate most of our of oceanfront rooms in the last 2 off-seasons, plus updating our amenities (new changing room/shower, new dune deck, breakfast room). We have more upgrades planned for this off season as well. We do hope you come back and see why the John Yancey has been serving Outer Banks vacationers for over 40 years.
Steubenville, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My daughter and I went to the OBX in June and needed an ocean front "pet friendly" motel for her small dog. Very few motels accommodate pets. We also wanted an out door pool. So John Yancey was the only want to fit the bill. I have to stress that the Sea Building is the best--you can literally walk out from your room to the sand. Most motels have steps to get to the beach--at this motel--it was nice to literally be on the beach. Our room at the sea building was nice, no complaints--the balcony overlooking the beach was bigger than the standard motel balcony.

Management was nice. we had a 10 hour drive to get there, and they had one of the help assist us carrying our suitcases and loot to the room. The lobby which is open 24 hours a day had coffee on at all times and a large assortment of herbal, and reg teas.

The breakfast was VERY basic yet free. They had 2 cereals in bulk, toast/muffins/danishes and packages of oatmeal and waffles. Fruit was hit and miss on some days. They did have juices and large assortment of teas plus coffee. So if you are watching your weight make sure you grab the oatmeal as that is about it.

Pool is not bad considering many of the motels at the OBX have indoor pools.

I have stayed in higher rated hotels at the OBX yet I have paid much more for the rooms.

If you want a pet friendly or reasonable priced oceanfront place John Yancy fits the bill. If we come back again with the dog, I will absolutely stay here.

PS If you are looking for a couple great, yet informal places to eat or take out (we had take out mostly because of the dog with us) -Jolly Rodger or Tavern 12. Tavern 12 very close to the motel and we had take out there 3 times. Great salads and sandwiches.

Room Tip: Sea Building has 2 floors. If you are on 2nd floor it is about 13 steps up to it. Best location hand...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#9 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,080 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#12 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!