John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
$110
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$111
BestWestern.com
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$85
Comfort Inn On The Ocean(Kill Devil Hills)
$89
Outer Banks Inn(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$76
$105
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$95
Shutters On the Banks(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$107
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
$116
Cavalier by the Sea(Kill Devil Hills)
All reviewsfour seasonsdifferent buildingskill devil grilloceanfront roomcontinental breakfastbagelshard boiled eggsmain buildinglong weekendmemorial day weekendstaff was friendlyobxironmicrowavedecksunrise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were due in on Thursday and to check out on Sunday in celebration of my birthday and Mother's Day. However; I got a virus so my husband called to cancel for Thursday, both of assuming we would still be charged. The young lady answering could not have been nicer and said we would not be charged as I was sick!! We were blown away and came on down Friday. Nice room, clean and comfortable. Unfortunately my husband began with the same virus on Saturday so we made the best of it. I got caught up on my reading and he got caught up on some sleep:)

Room Tip: We were on the third floor, oceanfront. All rooms on that side are non-smoking and non-pets which worked out just great. Love the balcony but would be better if they had screen on the sliding doors leading out to it and the doors were not so difficult to open and close. A small table would have been wonderful on the balcony as well.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were very hesitant about staying here as we're used to the Ramada which wasn't available, knowing this would be the extreme opposite. The good points... Fantastic view! We stayed on the second floor of the newly renovated Sea Building and have never been so close to the ocean! Bo, the guy who helped us when we called for reservations. Couldn't ask for a nicer person and assured us if we needed anything we could call him. The room itself was pretty nice. Comfortable bed, clean and when we didn't have hot water maintenance showed up immediately and fixed the problem. Continental breakfast was very good. Bad points.... very, very loud! We were next to the stairs that led down to the beach and there was a fraternity staying at the Inn and while they weren't staying near us they decided to use the stairs next to our room which caused the majority of the noise. They also broke glass in the parking lot which wasn't cleaned up. The door was very difficult to open because it was pulling away from the frame. This appeared to be an issue with others because it added to the noise level. Our last night, Sunday, was much better after everyone left. Overall the noise was the biggest issue and I would not recommend staying near those stairs.

Room Tip: For nothing fancy, it was a good bargain.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the John Yancey hotel. The staff was very helpful, and the beach was beautiful. The property is in the midst of a big renovation to the ocean building, but I liked our 2nd floor room with great oceanviews. I enjoyed sunrise every monring on our balcony! I enjoy the independent inn atmosphere, and plan to come back this summer. I like the restaurant across the street, Kill Devil Grill, it was delicious. Thanks Yancey!

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jerry A
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the John Yancey Oceanfront Inn with my family Jan 5th thru Jan 9th 2013.
We were unable to obtain a room in the seaside building, because this building is currently under renovation. The staff went above and beyond upgrading us to the penthouse suite in their other oceanfront building. The suite was wonderful & the view of the ocean through the double sliding glass doors was breath taking.
I also stayed here in 2011. The rooms were impeccably clean & comfortable. The desk staff & breakfast staff were both exceptionally pleasant & helpful. This is an older Inn; therefore, there may be some cosmetic imperfections. This is an OCEANFRONT property & very reasonably priced.
I live in North Carolina & I will return to OBX. The John Yancey Inn is, without a doubt, where I will stay.
Dr. Sarah Bell

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sannbrx
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The staff was very nice, but the room was falling apart. The walls were peeling and the bathtub had numerous chips in it. They had a power outage on Friday night. My kids were frightened, so we elected to leave and stay somewhere that had power. The staff member stated that they would take care of the charges. We only received a partial refund.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jaysansom
edward22, General Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

We are sorry you didn't have a positive stay the John Yancey. We are in the midst of additional offseason renovations, which we believe will continue to improve the room quality. The offseason is when we get to much of these repairs, and I would encouarge you to come back in the summer and stay at the newly renovated oceanfront rooms.

The night you referred to for the black out, was in fact at power outrage. It was an outage ON THE ENTIRE OUTER BANKS, not just us, but the whole beach! We took necessary measures, and actually power came back on just a couple hours later. This was a freak occurance, that was very much out of our control, but thankfully, just a minor inconvenience. We wish you could have stayed to enjoy our Inn, and hope you'll give us another opportunity to show you that we are one of the independent hotels on the Outer Banks, with great oceanfront rooms & customer service.