“Horrible!”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am back and forth between the obx all the time since I live so close in Virginia Beach. I have never rented a room from John Yancey and I never will again. The rooms smelled. The refrigerator had black mildew/mold on the racks. There were dirty, used mattresses in the hallways. The stairs need repairing. There is also a lot of stray cats on the premises so on the second floor there was a lot of cat feces in the hallways. The place is just disgusting, period. Not even worth the off rate season rate. If you do rent a room, trust me, you will regret it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank falzon
edward22, General Manager at John Yancey Oceanfront Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

We are sorry for your unpleasant experience. I can assure you we at the John Yancey are committed to providing great customer service, and are working hard to enhance the guest experience. Given the seasonality of the property, most of our renovations and updates happen in the winter, so what you saw were the efforts of our staff to update the property. We do stay open while we renovate, which can be a challenging task and we are sorry you saw things in process.

We have added new Queen mattresses that are now being installed. We are renovating the Sea Building heavily this offseason. I would encourage you to give us our renovated a room another try on your next summer trip to the best.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

There are constant updates to this hotel due to the coastal weather. When I was there I had an oceanfront room. Nice to sit on the balcony and actually see the ocean, not just dunes. The staff is very helpful, and the continental breakfast is good. It is not a new hotel but the rooms have everything you need and the price is right.

Room Tip: If you like listening to and seeing the ocean ask for a room on the oceanfront above 2nd floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank carol n
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have stayed at this property a couple of times. As with most beachfront hotels, it is over priced. The best thing it has going for it is that it is oceanfront and the beach is easily accessable. The rooms are ok, nothing to brag about. Housecleaning is slow, worse during the summer months. The front desk staff is hit or miss-I have had very courteous and helpful staff help me one time and a rude clerk another. This is an average property at best and this is the problem with the Nags Head area-the hotels have been around for some time and they are showing their years. The newest property is the Hilton Garden Inn near Southern Shores and it is always sold out because it is new and modern. I am not saying I need 4-5 star hotels but for what you are paying for these hotels you should get better. The Yancey was recently renovated and is better than it was. I have stayed at a couple of other hotels down there (Days Inn, the former Ramada-this may be a Wyndham now) and the Yancey is the best of the group. If you go in with minimal expectations, this hotel will be just fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occasions. I know what to expect from the rooms, the pool and the view. Not top notch, but okay. This last stay, while I was calling (same day) to see if they had an ocean view room available which they did, I was told abruptly, "you know if you don't show up I'm still going to charge this card!" Wow, that was rude, why would I be calling at 1pm for a 3pm check-in if I wasn't going to show up? Then I'm told that I cannot use my AAA discount for a 1 night stay. That wasn't the case last year. The next day after checking out I receive a call around 2pm, the same desk clerk called me up and accused me of having a dog in my room. (we were staying in the section where pets were not allowed) I don't have a dog. She said "the maid said it looked like the 2nd bed was slept in"....so...I'm not sure when it became against the rules for my husband and I to sleep in two different beds. Which we didn't anyway...the bed was neat, never slept in, only the luggage was on the bed. WHAT THE HECK...sorry to say John Yancey...you lost a returning guest!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kml0610
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Checked in on Friday 31 Sept 2012. Had a reservation for a room with a King size bed. Got to the room and it was a full size. Went back to the office and they tried to tell us that it was a queen. They tried to glorify the room by telling us that it was a newly renovated room and we would be happy with it. We explained to them that we had a room with a King size bed and then was told that they did not have one available. I wanted to know why they did not tell me of the changes when we checked in or when I called to confirm the reservation a week earlier. No explanation. We did not stay in the room and they credited the charges back. During the conversation, we weren't asked if we wanted a different room or nor did they offer to reduce the rates. Very bad customer service. This is what I would call a bait and switch. Also heard that this happened to a couple of other HOG members. I would not recommend staying here. I do not ever plan on staying there.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you are promised before you stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RBarfield
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is a dream for a family!! They are right on the beach, have a playground and heated child/baby size and family/adult pools. The staff is beyond friendly and will go above and beyond to make your stay nice. Every morning they offer a continental style breakfast with make your own Belgian waffles, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, danishes, muffins and fresh coffee, tea or juice. The motel is not a chain and they work day and night to make sure the place is clean and you have everything you need. The deck and ramp way to the beach made getting to the water a breeze, even with a 2 year old. :) The only time we left the hotel was to have dinner and to shop. There was no need to go anywhere else when you had all the extras this hotel has to offer!!!! We were so happy to have found this wonderful gem!!! We were extremely impressed by this hotel!!!! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is not a chain motel. That's what makes this such a wonderful place to stay. You feel like family while you are there and you are treated that way,by EVERYONE, right down from Miss Linda, the owner, to all the maintenance staff. You're right on the beach with a beautiful deck that allows you to sit and sunbathe and enjoy the ocean breezes if you don't want to go down to the oceans edge. I LOVED the outdoors HEATED pool. I used it 3 of the 4 nights we were there. Swimming at 9:30 at night under the stars, right before bed,what a wonderful way to unwind, slept like a baby. They have 3 sections to their motel, a 4story and a 2story oceanfronts and a 2story beside the pool, all 3 just steps from the ocean. Our room was in the latter one, ground level. It had two double beds with a bar & stools ,kitchen table & chairs, cabinets, fridge, and microwave. It was roomy, clean and comfortable. My wife and I were first times visitors to the Outer Banks area and they were so helpful in helping us find great places to eat, visit, and shop, it made our stay so enjoyable. We are coming back next year.

Room Tip: The two ocean front sections (4story, & 2story) are non-smoking, but the pool side section does...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple