“Rude desk clerk”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Auburn, Massachusetts
“Rude desk clerk”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on 3 different occasions. I know what to expect from the rooms, the pool and the view. Not top notch, but okay. This last stay, while I was calling (same day) to see if they had an ocean view room available which they did, I was told abruptly, "you know if you don't show up I'm still going to charge this card!" Wow, that was rude, why would I be calling at 1pm for a 3pm check-in if I wasn't going to show up? Then I'm told that I cannot use my AAA discount for a 1 night stay. That wasn't the case last year. The next day after checking out I receive a call around 2pm, the same desk clerk called me up and accused me of having a dog in my room. (we were staying in the section where pets were not allowed) I don't have a dog. She said "the maid said it looked like the 2nd bed was slept in"....so...I'm not sure when it became against the rules for my husband and I to sleep in two different beds. Which we didn't anyway...the bed was neat, never slept in, only the luggage was on the bed. WHAT THE HECK...sorry to say John Yancey...you lost a returning guest!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kml0610

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Checked in on Friday 31 Sept 2012. Had a reservation for a room with a King size bed. Got to the room and it was a full size. Went back to the office and they tried to tell us that it was a queen. They tried to glorify the room by telling us that it was a newly renovated room and we would be happy with it. We explained to them that we had a room with a King size bed and then was told that they did not have one available. I wanted to know why they did not tell me of the changes when we checked in or when I called to confirm the reservation a week earlier. No explanation. We did not stay in the room and they credited the charges back. During the conversation, we weren't asked if we wanted a different room or nor did they offer to reduce the rates. Very bad customer service. This is what I would call a bait and switch. Also heard that this happened to a couple of other HOG members. I would not recommend staying here. I do not ever plan on staying there.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you are promised before you stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RBarfield

Travelers are raving about these Kill Devil Hills hotels

Akron
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This hotel is a dream for a family!! They are right on the beach, have a playground and heated child/baby size and family/adult pools. The staff is beyond friendly and will go above and beyond to make your stay nice. Every morning they offer a continental style breakfast with make your own Belgian waffles, cereals, oatmeal, bagels, danishes, muffins and fresh coffee, tea or juice. The motel is not a chain and they work day and night to make sure the place is clean and you have everything you need. The deck and ramp way to the beach made getting to the water a breeze, even with a 2 year old. :) The only time we left the hotel was to have dinner and to shop. There was no need to go anywhere else when you had all the extras this hotel has to offer!!!! We were so happy to have found this wonderful gem!!! We were extremely impressed by this hotel!!!! :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Saint Albans, West Virginia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is not a chain motel. That's what makes this such a wonderful place to stay. You feel like family while you are there and you are treated that way,by EVERYONE, right down from Miss Linda, the owner, to all the maintenance staff. You're right on the beach with a beautiful deck that allows you to sit and sunbathe and enjoy the ocean breezes if you don't want to go down to the oceans edge. I LOVED the outdoors HEATED pool. I used it 3 of the 4 nights we were there. Swimming at 9:30 at night under the stars, right before bed,what a wonderful way to unwind, slept like a baby. They have 3 sections to their motel, a 4story and a 2story oceanfronts and a 2story beside the pool, all 3 just steps from the ocean. Our room was in the latter one, ground level. It had two double beds with a bar & stools ,kitchen table & chairs, cabinets, fridge, and microwave. It was roomy, clean and comfortable. My wife and I were first times visitors to the Outer Banks area and they were so helpful in helping us find great places to eat, visit, and shop, it made our stay so enjoyable. We are coming back next year.

Room Tip: The two ocean front sections (4story, & 2story) are non-smoking, but the pool side section does...
2 Thank bobby a
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Expected an nice Inn at the beach, but ended up with an outdated, old hotel. The bed was terrible! Mattress worn, rough sheets, old spread. Lacked cleanliness. The shower was tiny. Not pleased. The only positive was the direct access to the beach.

3 Thank Melitta B
Amissville, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay just one night before we headed south on our vacation , unlike many other hotels in this area who want you to stay 2 nights minimum, They allow one night stays and pets, We were not looking for a ocean front just a room so this worked out well. I asked for a ground floor walk in, no problem they put me in a nice room, nothing special but clean and convenient . , Good location for other activity too . I'm sure we will stay again in the future .I would recommended this place for family's , nice pool and a good breakfast too. Again nothing fancy , Cereals, pastry, Bagels, and waffles too , Get in before 9:30 in got crowded when my daughter who likes to sleep late got there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank fish_oinc
Sevierville, Tennessee, USA
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Dear John Yancey Inn,

I mean really, come on people. You don't glamourize your place of stay with the pics of just the best room and freshly painted walls. This is known as the ole bait and switch, at least thats what me and my wife felt like had occured. We had reserved a double bedroom oceanfront because we wanted ocenfront and that was all that was available at the time of our booking. We arrived and checked in without looking at the room first. (Mistake!). We went to our room only to find the door open and no need for the room key. Inside was pretty disgusting. Bathtub had rust ring around it and the drain. The beds we were afraid to touch because the comforters looked like they had been used for dog beds and i'm not sure if they would even fold if you tried. The sliding door to the balcony was stuck from the globs of paint that had been applied to the wall. The astroturf on the balcony just added to the glamour of this place. We abruptly left and had no problem whatsoever in getting a refund from the nice lady at the front. No argument from her or nothing. I undersand from other reviews that they are "remodeling", but my advice would be to totally gut the place and start over. Or sell it to a developer that could make it a beautiful place on the coast. And on another note my wife said it was a good thing I did the review and not her, otherwise this review would get deleted!

4 Thank Christopher A
Outer Banks Inn
Outer Banks Inn
#9 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront

Been to John Yancey Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!