“Average, Could Be Better, Could Be Worse”
Review of JP Looneys

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
JP Looneys
Ranked #87 of 116 Restaurants in Kernersville
Reviewed January 10, 2015

I've visited J.P. Looney's in Kernersville twice, the first time about a year ago with a friend for drinks and again last night with a date. Centrally located in the Target shopping center on Main Street, it is easy to find with plenty of parking. We arrived around 8pm on a Friday night. There was plenty of seating available. It was a few minutes before someone came to seat us, and a few minutes before we were greeted for our drink order. It is a sports bar, and there were TVs everywhere (hockey game on the tv in the ladies restroom). The atmosphere was pretty quiet, and for that I was glad, as it was a first date. The volume in the restaurant allowed good conversation (until karaoke started, when we left). I ordered a turkey sandwich, which was actually quite excellent. The bread was lightly buttered and probably grilled (although it did not seem to be a grilled sandwich), the turkey was plentiful, with sliced cucumber and a delicious ranch sauce. The sandwich was full of flavor and I enjoyed it very much. I chose sweet potato fries as my side and they were also delicious. Lightly, sweetly seasoned and perfectly sliced. I enjoyed the fries as is, without adding ketchup. Our waitress was friendly enough.

As I began this review I debated the rating, and as I finish the review am still debating. I've bumped back and forth between average and very good, but I'm settling with average. I enjoyed my meal, but as far as the whole experience.... meh. Nothing was really bad, but nothing was really great, either. Nothing stood out as "very good" (well again, the food was very good, so why is this a question?). Maybe because it just didn't seem special. There's nothing in particular that will draw me back. Average.

Reviewed November 6, 2014

My first visit I'd been somewhat underwhelmed, food was forgettable. This time, however, I got a mushroom and swiss burger with their homemade chips (extra crispy) and they were both excellent. Burger cooked just as requested, not dry, and tasty. Chips were just like I like them. The service has been excellent both times, and you could tell on this busy college football Saturday that all staff was working hard to make everyone happy. Recommended...this time.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My wife, daughter and I tried looney's in Kernersville tonight. Daughter had black bean burger with added pepper jack cheese. Burger came without cheese and had to be sent back. Requested pickles and had to ask a second time. I had a "slammer" - ham, turkey, bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce. Could not find the bacon and very small amount of meat. Wife had the "Reuben Reuben", again very little meat and such a small amount of sauerkraut could hardly taste it.

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Typical bar. The food was okay. Service okay. However the trick here is to complain when the bill comes. After I paid, 2 Regulars complained and were comped and given an extra order to take home. One of them bragged that he does it all the time. I felt very dumb paying for my meal.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My family went for father's day, because we had seen the commercials on TV and thought it would be a great place to go. I ordered the so called popcorn shrimp "platter" and what I got was a platter of fries and overly battered baby cocktail shrimp that had been fried to dog bone crisp and only got about 12 pcs for way too much money. The fries were decent thank goodness, or I would have had to leave there starving. My husband had the fried shrimp salad, which had the same kind of shrimp I had on my "platter" and got 6 pcs. of the horrible shrimp. My grandson got the grilled cheese sandwich, and when a kid says a gilled cheese is horrible, then it must be pretty bd. It's hard to mess up a grilled cheese, but they managed to do so. The salad minus the shrimp on it, looked pretty good. $35.00 for 2 adults and 1 child is pretty steep. Thumbs down on this place. Not going back!!!

2  Thank thine0923

Been to JP Looneys? Share your experiences!