“Wide variety”

Captain Tom's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 115 Restaurants in Kernersville
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were at athletic fields at nearby Beeson Park and pulled into Captain Tom's to see if it would work as a good stop for families during lunch breaks from the youth sports tournaments -- soccer, baseball, etc. Found a menu with lots of choices -- from the usual seafood fare to hamburgers to chicken souvlaki. My fried flounder was fine, a little more breaded than flavorful, but fine. I could have had it grilled. They gave me a ton of food, more than I needed. (The rest is for lunch today.) Hush puppies were good, fries and cole slaw undistinguished. My son had a good-looking cheeseburger. Said it was very good. As you can tell, this is seafood the North Carolina way. I think you can get lighter, healthier choices, too, but if it's organic you want, this isn't that sort of place. Service was prompt. We arrived prior to noon, which helped. For two adults and a teen, price was around $28.

Place is quite large, with rows of tables you can push together for teams or groups. Also had draft beer for the spectator dad who needs to calm down and doesn't need to drive soon.

Considering there aren't too many choices for restaurants close to the park, we found this one suitable for future weekend tournaments. I'm looking at this as a place that can handle a group of several families. It can.

Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We've enjoyed Captain Tom's restaurant for a long time. The food has been good, but we've noticed an improvement in food taste and quality over the last year or so. It 's one of our favorite places to eat in Kernersville, and we recommend it highly.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Let me preface this by saying I had eaten at Captain Tom's for over 25 years. The majority of my visits were great experiences... lots of fresh, well-cooked seafood with generous portions at fair prices. Within the last 5 years or so, there has been a serious change for the worse. In addition to skyrocketing prices (I get it, inflation and fish prices, etc.), the portions of fish have gotten smaller and bonier.

It's almost comical seeing a few shriveled, overcooked pieces of fish in an $8 platter. Picking through the bones doesn't help at all. I gave them the benefit of the doubt the first few times it happened, but eventually it became clear that this was the new normal. I'm done with their fish until something changes. The local Chinese buffet makes a much better fried fish.

I would recommend the Chicken Strips, however, as you may actually get your money's worth with these. Perhaps Kernersville needs another seafood place to snap Captain Tom's back to life, because the ship is sinking quickly.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

To me, the specials are the way to go at Capt. Tom's. Daily lunch specials are invariably fresh, hot and delicious. So much so, I haven't ried anything else other than a salad one time. OK, but pinkish "blue cheese" dressing clearly had blue cheese in it, but something else in the red color family. I'll stick with the seafood specials from now on.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The dinners are generous (always take some home)& the staff is super friendly. Service is fast & food has always been good!