“Remodeling doesn't make up for rude service, average food”

Sixty Six Pizzeria Grill and Bar
Ranked #2 of 111 Restaurants in Kernersville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have dined at 66 Pizzeria twice since it reopened after renovations. Though the updated interior is an appreciable improvement over the previous bland decor, it doesn't make up for the rude service and (overall) fairly average food I experienced there.

On my first visit my dining partner and I arrived late in the evening and sat down at the bar, about 20 minutes before 10 pm when the restaurant would nominally close; however, we were aware of this and asked the bartender if the kitchen was still open. After we received assurances from the bartender that the kitchen was still open, we proceeded to order, ordering sandwich fare so as not to present a complicated order for the kitchen staff while they were undoubtedly attempting to take care of some closing duties.

We received our meals and were about halfway through eating when the bartender approached us and advised us that the restaurant would be closing in a few minutes at 10 pm, implying that we should hurry up and finish. I've never been in a restaurant before where an employee has implied that I would be kicked out before finishing my meal, so I was rather taken aback at this announcement. We finished up quickly, paid and left.

During the same visit, the bartender also argued with my dining partner over whether her sandwich was missing a condiment (it was, and the bartender was incorrect), replying "No, it doesn't come with that" when asked by my partner if the condiment wasn't missing from the sandwich. Despite having menus only a few feet away, the oversight wasn't corrected until the bartender consulted with the kitchen staff and determined that the condiment did indeed accompany that particular sandwich.

Despite this poor experience we returned a second time a few weeks later, this time during normal dinner hours. While the service was adequate and we didn't experience any issues on par with the first visit, on neither occasion did the food wow me. It was average at best on both occasions; for example, my sweet potato fries side clearly had that "out of the bag" taste.

If the food here were fantastic, I'd be willing to overlook such glaring service issues as the rudeness we experienced. But it's not, and even an improved decor can't gloss over that.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My favorites so far...super burgers, out of this world tenderloin sandwich, a nice wine list, ("Tin Roof" Merlot). There is a salad bar, looks fresh and inviting just haven't tried it as of yet. Staff professional and friendly. Only negative.. the chocolate chip cookie in a cast iron skillet with ice cream... not worth the time, calories or cost. That will not keep me away from all the other choices on the menu!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Firstly let me say that the pizzas here are usually pretty good. I once tried the Lasagna; forget it, Mario Batali would not give it to his dog. The rest of the menu is passable junk food; wings-n-things, Nachos etc. The service is average for a pizza joint. The place is generally sanitary so no real gripes there. However one recent visit prompted this review.
A friend & I dined at the Bar on a lunch time. The waitress, while being adorable, served drinks with maraschino cherries that she pulled from a large jar by dipping her entire fingers into the liquid each time then wiping her hands on a bar towel. This after telling us her family member had a stomach virus! This was pointed out but summarily ignored. Additionally we were served wine by the glass or more to the point, wine by the half glass for $4.99 a time, a total rip-off and a second dirty martini was also only half way up the glass, which I had to complain about, very poor service and value. I know this place is a food joint not a real cocktail bar as such but the barista training really needs to improve and measures need to be standard bar measures.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place was renovated in the past year and we love the updates!! All of the food is great -- especially the pizza. My favorite dish is the Bowtie Salmon. My friend had their Chicken Caprese and gave great reviews on it. They have a blueberry sangria that is very tastey too! We will definitely visit this place again.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Everyone at our table ordered something different. The Meatloaf was blah! the garlic mashed potatoes were good though. The chicken salad croissant was good. The hamburger was just OK, tasted like a frozen patty instead of fresh ground beef. The pizza/salad bar was the best of our entrees. Service was OK. Nice atmosphere with many TV screens around the dining area.