“great value”

Ranked #26 of 115 Restaurants in Kannapolis
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I ordered the triple steakburger anf fries. At only 3.99 it is an outstanding value and lower priced than most fast food places which steak and shake is not. This meal is comparable tp 6 or 7 dollars anywhere else. And from 2-4 on weekdays all drinks and shakes are one half price. good food and service.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

I LIKE Steak 'n Shake. So do my kids. Unfortunately the one nearest to us is this one and it is just plain awful. I've used their website and 800 number in the past to "rate my experience" and been promised a return call in each, but nothing ever came of it. This is a TOP DOWN problem. Service is continually bad.
In the past, we've had a bug in my daughter's salad, servers argue in front of us over who "has to" wait on us, one server refuse to bring napkins when we spilled a drink because it is their policy to bring extra napkins when the food is brought, and the list goes on.
Today I tried the breakfast as friend recently started working there and said things would be better. They were NOT. I walked in and was the ONLY person there as a customer. There were half a dozen employees standing around. One seated me immediately in a booth that had crumbs all over the seats. I glanced around and saw that the two booths across from me had the same problem--meanwhile the servers were complaining of being bored.
My server tried hard, but really fell short. Very nice, but not with it. She brought me coffee, with cream, but no spoon. it took 3 or 4 minutes to get her attention to get one as she was talking to the cashier. She came to my table a total of 4 times when my coffee was empty and never noticed. I finally had to go get her and ask for coffee (this time she was talking to an off duty employee who had come to eat by now). She came over about a minute after bringing the coffee that time with a full pot and seemed confused that I already had coffee, even though it was her that filled it just a minute before.
I ordered my eggs slightly browned, they weren't. I ordered my hash browns crisply--even after two trips to the grill, they weren't anywhere close--they were a gooie, dripping mess. She finally brought me a different kind after telling me the first kind "couldn't be cooked crispy."
The cook (manager?) was complaining to everyone there about the lateness of the next shift coming in--and he was LOUD about it. When the employees are telling us how lousy the service is, is there any reason for us to expect it to be good?
I've tried repeatedly to complain but the local ownership is NOT concerned at all. Not going back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2009

good, not worth the money

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook