“Below-par HIX”

Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Jacksonville
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family and I stayed here for one night and were disappointed that this location wasn't up to HIX standards. Very run-down and "felt" dirty, even if it was clean. A little overpriced as well. Bizarrely, there is a prime parking spot for Employee of the Month– I know they want to encourage their employees, but when you run a business where your customers carry luggage, every spot is valuable.

If you can afford it, the Home2 Suites nearby is a much better choice.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank matthewsmith99

Reviewed July 16, 2012

After frantically trying to find a hotel in wilmington for three hours we finally found a place to stay. The holiday was everything we needed and more. The rooms were clean, the staff so friendly and the beds were extremely comfortable. I will definitely keep this in mind for next year. The next morning we went to topsail beach which is only 30 minutes away. Will a bit of a trek it is more than worth it

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Location - On Hwy 17/Marine. Lots of stores and restaurants within walking distance.
Bathroom - The ceiling is very low in the shower and the door opens in, which makes the bathroom even smaller than it is already. The water pressure and temp were great. The tub was pretty scratched up and the toilet ran. I left a note to repair and called, but it was never fixed. A makeup mirror and better hair dryer are needed.
Bedroom - Neither the bed nor the pillows )crushed foam) were comfortable and the sheets were worn thin. It had a flat screen TV. A small microwave sat on top of a small refrigerator - no cabinet or shelf. An upholstered chair and small side table were provided. The A/C was quiet, but didn't cool well. A full length mirror and open closet are provided - only a couple of hangers though.
Business - the WiFi connection issues were ok and there were plenty of outlets in convenient locations. A work desk is available. One public computer is available in the lobby. Newspaper are in the lobby, not delivered to door.
Housekeeping - OK, Left 2 regular and no decaf coffee paks. Laundry machines are located in the back foyer by the vending machines and door to pool. (I don't know that I'd leave my clothes unattended.)
Breakfast - standard continental included in rate - starts at 6AM.
Fitness - No fitness center; however, you are given access to a club 2 miles away or the neighboring Candlewood Suites' fitness center, which has 1 treadmil, 1 elipticle, 1 bike and a weight machine.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 10's and 20's are near elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2012

After staying at Beufort S.C. Holiday Inn Express,This one is no match!
Pros: Clean Rooms
Cons: Ice makers Dirty, Broke on second floor
Room window moldy
Called front desk for a light bulb for desk lamp....never did get!
since my son was leaving Camp Lejeune for japan...he stayed with us...I ordered a portable bed and did not get till midnight
Very Small Rooms!
I would not stay here again!

Room Tip: find somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Dear BillyBoy1962,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I'm pleased you appreciated our clean rooms. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you received service which was less than satisfactory. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in November of 2011 for a return of a Marine unit. The staff was great, there was always a hello or a smile from the front desk to any of the housekeeping staff. Our room was clean and the halls were quiet. The breakfast was very good and always busy! I was very glad we chose this Holiday Inn Express and it would be the first place I would attempt to book upon a return. I was also super impressed that staff throughout the hotel so many times said if we needed anything... just ask!

Room Tip: I normally ask for a higher floor room and a room away from the elevator :-)
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This hotel is located beside the Walmart shopping center and there are several very nice restaurants in close proximity to the hotel. You can literally walk to the restaurants if you like. The hotel is very nice and modern. It is a non-smoking hotel so be prepared to step outside if you smoke. The staff is very friendly and professional in checking you into the hotel. I use Corporate Lodging and the rate is good. The breakfast is always excellent and the attendant always keeps everything stocked for the morning rush for breakfast. The King Rooms are much nicer than the Double Rooms. The bed is a little firm but comfortable. The only disappointment in the hotel is that the bathrooms are a little cramped in size, but other than that, the room is very nice.

Room Tip: On Wednesday nights, the hotel offers a manager's reception. This week the hotel had food from...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I stay at a lot of Holiday Inn Expresses, so I have to give this one an average. They have a lot of Marines stay there regularly so there tends to be more noise sometimes than other hotels I have stayed at. If you are staying in Jacksonville NC though, this is going to be a problem for EVERY hotel! You have to book a hotel here at least a week or two in advance or good luck finding a room ANYWHERE! I have had this issue several times as I fly into the area for work. As a Platinum Priority Club Member, my understanding is that if I call within 72 hours, I am guaranteed a room. This HIE does not honor that. I have called a week ahead and been told they dont have any rooms for me. Their policy is that you have to stay 99 consecutive days for them to guarantee a room 3 days ahead. The decor is just average, could use some updating.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Dear Robdawg30,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns via Tripadvisor. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

We appreciate your business very much and thank you for your loyalty as our priority club Platinum member! We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. Sorry to hear you received service which was less-than-satisfactory. In order to invoke your Platinum 72 hour guarantee you must contact the Priority Club service center directly, the number is on the back of your card.

Again we thank you for your review as we believe that we can only improve and enhance our services through our guests' feedback.

Brenda J.