“Awesome!”

Wasabi
Ranked #4 of 248 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

First of all just let me say that I do not eat sushi. However my children both love it. We were welcoming my son back from Afghanistan...Oorah...and this was our last night in town. We decided to eat a little late at 8:00pm and found out that they stay open until 10:00pm. Upon entering the first thing you notice is the soft jazz music playing in the background. The place is not very big but the atmosphere was nice.

Now on to the food. The kids had dragon rolls, volcano rolls, dinosaur rolls and magic rolls. They really enjoyed all of these but they thought they were a little pricey compared to what they normally cost. The other members of our party ordered the normal Japanese fare and enjoyed it as well. I will say that some salt would have been welcomed though. None in the tables and none in the dish.

Now let's talk about the service. Excellent!!! The place is rather new so I don't know if they will always be this way but tonight they were all so very nice. They threw in for free some green tea for us to try as well as a dessert. Fried bananas. My son said he would definitely be coming back with his friends to this place!

• Visited October 2013

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“High quality fish, creative rolls, amazing staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My wife and I stopped in last Sunday on the way back from new Bern NC. We didn't even know about the place and were actually on our way to another local sushi place but my wife saw it as we passed and we decided to stop and give it a try.

All of the other 'sushi' places we have tried in J'ville have been the 'fusion' type 'japanese (some of the menu is 'chinese', some 'thai', some 'japanese', some 'korean' - jack of all trades=master of none!)

In most of those places the sushi masters are about as Japanese as Hillary Clinton (all fun aside, many of the sushi chefs in Jacksonville are either Chinese or sometimes Koreans or Mexicans, and respectfully, I prefer authentic Japanese chefs when it comes to sushi. In full disclosure, the owner, who was so friendly to us, is Chinese, but has owned another Sushi place up north for 18 years and has always used Japanese chefs.).

First thing we noticed when we sat down at the sushi bar was the incredibly deep red maguro (tuna) in the case. Many of the places we have eaten in Jacksonville use that 'pinkish' obiously frozen tuna. This was not the case at Wasabi. It was beautiful!

Also the Himachi (yellowtail) - my personal favorite- was beautiful, shiny, no muscle strands like some cheaper cuts. In fact, everything in the case looked perfect.

We ordered the spicy kani-stick app - awesome. Shredded kani stick with some thinly sliced cukes, herbs, and something spicy and awesome (maybe chili oil, but not sesame oil).

We got one of the nightly special rolls - Geisha. It was a combination of spicy crunchy crab, shrimp tempura, avocodo, & something else- cant remember but it was nice. had some mango and eel sauces on it.

We also got a spicy himachi roll w/ avocodo - just the say I like it: finely chopped yellowtail + spicy mayo (not just sriracha!) + masago + avocado.

We also got a few orders of Himachi Nigiri. ROCKED.
We also got a few orders of the Unagi Nigiri. ROCKEDDDD Super tender ell, with lots of the belly fat cooked off. Really nice! (tasty eeel sauce!)

Im glad I asked because it wasnt on the menu- Himachi Kama. She said yes, but them came back a few minutes later & said it would be a a little longer than usual because they were going to cut up a fresh new Himachi collar for us to broil... Hows that for hitting the jack pot.

(See images below of the awesome platter presentations!)

That Himachi Kama was possible the best I have ever had - broiled to perfection with just a little crispy around the skin, but soft and tender inside.. PREFECT.

The owner, Jesse, came and visited with us and was SO NICE. She offered Saki but since I was driving later I declined, but later she sent out an amazing Green Tea with Honey and Lemon on ice.. and Japanese Ice Cream. We were totally satisfied with the meal and I would hold it up against any of the sushi places where I live. Will for SURE stop there again next time we pass through J'ville. Highly Recommend.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jay S
“Excellence staff, so-so food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I tried this place for the first time today for lunch. It was ok. Average for Japaneese around jacksonville. The California Roll was great, the soup not so much.

• Visited August 2012
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This is my new and favorite Sushi bar to go to here in Jacksonville. I've moved here from the West Coast having lived in Hawaii and originally from San Diego, so sushi I am very experienced in and this place is amazing. They have authentic sushi chef's that make so many different styles of sushi with bursting flavors. Very fresh seafood and beautiful presentations. I took some pictures and I can't really say I have a favorite cause it was all good. The Sexy Lady Grill although seemed to be a favorite to the rest of our family there with its unique blend of Tobiko for the right smoke like flavor to this roll. We also were served this delicious non-alcoholic beverage called Aloe. Right after we topped it off with Red Bean and Green Tea Mochi. If you are not into the sushi side of food they serve a variety of cooked and tastey dishes as well, such as Naba Yaki Udon soup or Chicken Teriyaki. The time of our visit we were seated promptly and our food arrived in a timely manner. This is a smaller yet beautiful setting inside very clean and friendly staff. Well worth the visit. Thank You Wasabi's our family definitely will be back!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Starlyte2629
Jacksonville, NC United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent sushi and staff1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I are new in town and stopped by last Saturday. It is a fairly new restaurant and kind of in a weird place so it wasnt very busy. There were about 3 to go customers throughout the course of our meal. The menu was varied and we had a hard time deciding on which rolls to pick The waitress told us about the chefs specials and which of the rolls were her favorite. In conversation we told her we recently moved to town and were dissapointed with the sushi at Shogun. (we had a favorite sushi restaurant back in MD that I worked at )
There are only about a dozen tables in the restaurant each with a bowl of fresh flowers for decoration. Jazz music played loud enough so you could recognize what song was being played but not too loud that we couldnt talk.
When our sushi arrived it was beautifully decorated. Too pretty to eat...almost! Our favorite roll was the Jacksonville...Lobster tempura with spicy tuna and avacado. YUM! Next time we will be more adventurous than the spider roll and shrimp tempura.
I had green tea ice cream for dessert and the waitress brought out a dish of fresh watermelon as well. She was friendly and asked our names so she could remember us for next time. We can't wait to go back!

• Visited June 2013