“A Fine Choice Hotel”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Jacksonville
Chesapeake, Virginia
“A Fine Choice Hotel”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have stayed in several different hotels in Jacksonville, NC, when we've visited our son and his family who live there. Of the three others we've stayed at - two were fine and one was noisy, but all were pricey to my way of thinking for staying in Jacksonville. I mean, it's not exactly a resort town -- and there are lots of hotels there. That being said, we're so happy with the newest addition to the many hotels in the town. The MainStay just opened in January, so of course it is new and nice. Let me tell you more about this gem:

The price is right, for one thing. Our senior rate was $79 plus tax (making it $90). The previous places we stayed were $90 or more before tax. In addition, this hotel is much nicer than the more expensive ones we've stayed in before. I mean, you could cook a meal in this room if you wanted to do so. It's basically a studio apartment. There is a mini-kitchen complete with two burners, microwave, toaster, full frig, sink and dishes. Although we didn't use the kitchen, I was impressed that it was there.

There was also a comfortable small sofa and the bed itself was very comfortable. I had read where the beds were a bit hard and also that you could request a "topper" be put on the bed. I requested that when I booked the room and sure enough, it was put on that morning before we arrived. The topper was a two-inch piece of foam that made the bed super comfortable. I can't say what it would have felt like without the topper, but "ask and ye shall receive."

Another plus was how quiet our room was. We had room 219, which is tucked at the end of a short hall and has no hotel rooms adjacent to it. There is a window wall, an exterior wall and a wall next to the stairway - which no one but us used. The only noise was from the refrigerator that turned on and off as refrigerators do. I would have been happy to unplug it, but it didn't cause me to lose any sleep. We have been in other hotels there where the traffic noise was really bad. We didn't even hear any traffic noise.

The hotel is located behind Denny's, so is convenient if you wish to walk there and eat dinner or more than the continental breakfast they provide. They had oatmeal, cereal, bagels and muffins, along with juices, etc. The dining area is quite attractive (and offers 6 big screen televisions side by side so that you won't miss a thing!) and is adjacent to a small bar that is open in the evenings for those who'd like a drink. There is also a very nice seating area on a large patio behind the hotel, along with a firepit.

Lastly, the staff we encountered, both in the evening and the morning, were both super-nice! They were friendly and helpful and could not have been better ambassadors for their hotel or the city. Kudos to you ladies!

All in all, I highly recommend a stay at the new MainStay Suites. It will be my "main stay" hotel during future visits to Jacksonville!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoyfulWriter
Christina M, General Manager at MainStay Suites Camp Lejeune, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
We are ecstatic you made our hotel your choice while in Jacksonville.I am pleased to know that the topped was the right touch for you to have a comfortable night sleep. With our Serta Mattresses being new they are a firmer. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and am happy that you were able to have a compfortable stay while your visiting your son. Our team can't wait for you to be able to come visit your son again and stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.and we look forward to seeing you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

What can I say about this place?! Amazing friendly staff who did every thing I asked of them. Rooms were spotless! Rooms have plates, silverware, glasses, mugs, dishwasher, full refrigerator, stove and everything was clean! I can't speak for the bed because I didn't sleep in it and the room could be a bit bigger for 4 people but I'll still stay here everytime I'm in Jacksonville and its my hometown so I go there at least once a year. The lobby looks great! There's a lounge with flat screens and sofas, there's a bar in the hotel, the back of the hotel has an outside lounge with like an outdoor fireplace, even the restrooms downstairs were always clean and smelled great! I would like to see them get more vending machines and ice machines, it is a bee new hotel so they may still be working on things. They also need a bigger workout facility but none of that would stop me from staying there based on service and cleanliness alone, this is the place to stay and I usually pick apart and shred hotels in my reviews lol. I look for every little thing only because if I'm paying my money to stay there I want to be cad comfortable as possible and cleanliness makes all the difference for me!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank KHinesMusic
Hi, Thank you for making us your hotel of Choice! Our staff was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service and cleanliness we provided you. You mentioned that the room was a bit small for four people. If you haven't already tried, our rooms with two queen beds is very spacious and comfortable. Next time you come we'd love for you to try it. It is our pleasure to have you as a return guest and look forward to your next visit.
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I just stayed at the new MainStay while my house was being painted. Being a local resident I was curious. I found a wonderful place away from home. The front desk greeted me with courteous and a pleasant smile. She informed me of the many amenities on the property. One of the best things was the courtyard with a fire pit. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the courtyard. They also have a small but quaint lounge with a pleasant bartender. We walked to dinner to the newly opened Denny's. Then back to the room. It is very nicely decorated. Granite shower and bath was a plus. A full kitchen area is always an added bonus. I will assuredly refer others to the MainStay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Foundum
Thank you so much for your Wonderful comments. Our team is very excited that you enjoyed your stay as well as the beautiful Patio. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your home repainting. We look forward to seeing you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 5, 2013

On my first and recent trip to Jacksonville North Carolina, I found a town that was basically supported by the military and truly not a mecca of high end hotels and restaurants. (My son is in the Marine Corps and I was doing some scouting of the area for him upon my arrival.) Thinking that I had a reservation in a highly rated hotel, I was shocked to find that this hotel did not exist in Jacksonville NC! I began to search for a location to stay and stumbled upon a serious diamond in the rough. The hotel was the Main Stay and my experience at this location could not have been better. As soon as I entered through the front door, I was welcomed by one of the best hospitality teams I have ever encountered. The team, headed by General Manager Christine Mack and Sales and Marketing Manager Lisa Bolton, were gracious and welcoming from the very beginning. I really cannot say enough about them. Their professionalism and sense of hospitality was incredible. The all-suite hotel welcomed me with a modern spacious lobby and a wall of televisions for any sporting event or news cast a person could or would be looking for. There was a small bar (yet to be opened) which doubles as a space for their continental breakfast feast. My room was warm and welcoming with a small kitchen space, plush queen sized bed, sofa and table. The bathroom was modern and had a great shower! Overall, the feel of the room was comfortable and warm. As if that wasn’t enough, it turns out that the owner of the hotel group also owns one of the best restaurants in town! As a wonderful service, the hotel provides a shuttle directly to and from the restaurant! Believe me, after dining at Ducks Bar and Grill, I was completely sold on the service and experience! Overall, I would voluntarily seek this hotel out again. I plan many visits to Jacksonville in the future and I will only stay at this location. Marine families! Take the thinking out of your stay! This is a perfect location for your visit! Excellent Job!
Roz P

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Christina M, General Manager at MainStay Suites Camp Lejeune, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Roz! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It was my pleasure meeting you the evening you checked in. Our staff and I appreciate your wonderful comments and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay.We had a blast getting to know you as well. I know you had quite a selection of hotels upon your arrival, thank you for choosing us! We look forward to your next visit.
Outer Banks, NC
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The place has been open for one month, all employees & staff were warm & friendly!
The place is very clean.
The kitchen has all the amenities for a longer stay.
I will stay again next time I am in Jacksonville.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank fromOBX
Christina M, General Manager at MainStay Suites Camp Lejeune, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. Our team has worked hard to provide the best service possible. We look forward to serving you on your future travels to Jacksonville/Camp Lejeune!
Doswell, Virginia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night as our Marine son was graduating from Infantry school. We got there earlier than we anticipated and he was not given liberty until later in the day. I phoned the hotel and they allowed us to check in at noon, which was great because we had no where else to go. I agree with the other Marine mom that the beds are hard. Other things we thought the room needed: 1) a mirror outside of the bathroom since there were three of us and needed at least two mirrors 2) sheers on the windows to allow light in without allowing the outside to see in 3) even with the blackout curtains there was a great deal of light in our room at night. Also agree that the breakfast was very disappointing. Bagels and muffins. Not even cereal. But the amenities in the room were great - fridge, microwave, stove, couch, desk. Very clean. We would stay here again but would bring our own breakfast. And, the Marines allowed us some time with our son the following day and the hotel generously gave us a late check out. Front desk staff was GREAT. I should also point out we got a great rate ($99) which was totally worth it. Wouldn't pay much more for this.

Room Tip: Given there are no sheers on windows, request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad that our staff took great care of you and your family during your stay. I apologize that the beds felt a bit firm. Having all brand new beds they have a firmer feel. For your future stays we have purchased toppers for the beds that will provide some extra cushion. Please do not hesitate to request one on your next visit. As with all comments from our guests we will take your other suggestions into consideration. Our team looks forward to taking care of you and your family in the future.
Eden, North Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My Marine son is stationed at Lejeune and we have stayed at many of the hotels in Jacksonville. When I saw they had a new hotel, I was excited to try it. When we walked in the new smell was very inviting and the desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. When we got to our room I was very impressed with the furnishing and the compact kitchen. I thought, this is our hotel from now on, until we went to bed. The mattress was hard as a brick. After a long day of moving our daughter in law into her appt., it was very disappointing not to be able to sleep because of the discomfort in the mattress. I only sleep three hours. The next am, was very disappointed to only have bagels and muffins for breakfast. When we checked out, I told them how our stay was not satisfactory, they didn't do anything about it. My one and only stay :(

1 Thank Leanne H
Christina M, General Manager at MainStay Suites Camp Lejeune, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hi Leanne H. thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We apologize your stay was not to your 100% satisfaction. We have changed some items on the Continental Breakfast Bar, to include Oatmeal and Fruit. While I understand you may not stay with us in the future, we hope you give us a second chance to show you we have taken your comments to heart. I look forward to meeting you on your future travels.